Archery Talk Forum banner

How scared do you get when you spook a deer in the dark?

• Doesn't bother me at all

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • I get startled, but nothing major

Votes: 50 51.0%
  • Jump 3 feet in the air, heart is racing

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • I need new shorts

Votes: 7 7.1%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, the thing I hate most is jumping deer in the dark. Not just because of the probablility of screwing up my hunt, but I jump and my heart starts pounding. It's stupid but man jumping a deer when it's about 10 feet away sure is a rush.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I stepped on a grouse one cold October morning back in 04. I'm still scared.

:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Deer don't bother me, but hogs get my heart going. I hate going through them at night and have actually stepped on one before. The big boar hogs will run off giving a long rolling grunt that will get your attention.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have a story to share. This happened back when I was pretty young, probably high school age. It was a full moon spooky walk in to my morning stand. There had been a couple fawns that always hung out in the area, that were motherless, you could walk within 10 yards all the time. Walking in the woods I didn't use a light, and the early season foilage left an eerie scattered amount of light spots in the woods. Well wouldn't you know it that one of them little ones just about let me step on it before jumping up out of its bed. That was one of the more startled times I've ever had.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Last year it was getting dark and time to get out of my stand.All of a sudden a buck started to snort.He was close and I thought I was going to climb the tree instead of getting down.It scared the beejesus out of me.:)

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
When I kick a deer out, I don't get scared I get upset and try to move slower. The thing that does get me is those invisible cobwebs. Those things give me images of some huge spider crawling on my face:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Doc said:
When I kick a deer out, I don't get scared I get upset and try to move slower. The thing that does get me is those invisible cobwebs. Those things give me images of some huge spider crawling on my face:eek:
I know what your talking about Doc. I think I would rather wrestle a grizzle bear than have a spider webb around my face.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I once spooked a flock of turkeys roosted in my tree while I was climbing up to my stand..... Sounded like a helicopter was going to land on me..... I NEEDED A NEW PAIR OF SHORTS! :eek:

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf?

·
Registered
663 Posts
you joking

fricken squirrel will do it to me

·
Registered
371 Posts
Try jumping a pack of hogs in a palmetto thicket in the dark, sounds like all hell is breaking loose, makes me jump out of my skin..

·
Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,921 Posts
The walk in and out of an area is always exciting for me. I think my heart is going most of the way in and out. then again, I hunt in Grizzy/black bear/ Shiras Moose/mountain lion/ wolf country as well. Flushing out a grouse at close range makes you jump and look, I'll tell you what. The key is to say a prayer to let me return home to my wife and child and buck up and face my fear and just go. The hunt is worth the adrenilane of traveling in and out.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Deer don't usually do it to me, because they generally don't let you get too close to them before they bail and blow at you. It's **** that get me!! I've dang near stepped on a couple last year. That will fill your shorts!

·
Registered
815 Posts
As long as I don't watch The Exorcist the night before. I'm fine. :embara:

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,327 Posts
I'll admit it. It can age me if they are close.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
I have to admit I've greased my cheeks a time or two. But I'm generally not nervous in the woods at night.

When I was about 12 I was crossing a swampy creek bottom at dark without a light.
The weeds and such were about head high and the path was more of a slit.
I was half way across when a screech owl let go about ten feet over my head.
It is an eerie sound and I found it more interesting when I landed on the oak hill about 150 yards away, about 4 lbs. lighter and somewhat dehydrated.:embara:

Some fun loveing family members take great pride in scaring the poop out of ya when you approach the truck in the dark.

Reminds me of the trespasser I let walk under my treestand in the dark before I shouted, "CAN I HELP YOU!". He made a squirting sound :noidea: before he stammered "wwhhhaaattt".

My brother about fainted one evening as he approached his truck.
He didn't know myself and my 80 lb. Drathaar were waiting for him.
Well the dog recognized(smelled?) Keith walking up the lane and took off towards him.
Well Keith caught a glimpse in the moon light of something big when he was about 10 feet away and closing in. Ol'Keith made a sound I can't quite put my finger on.
But it most closely resembled the sound a person makes right after dry heaving or after being kicked in the sack. :noidea: Maybe a combination of the two :noidea:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
It definately ups my heart rate.

Grouse are a lot worse though.

And a flock of roosted turkeys right above you will really scare the crap out of ya.:wink:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I get anxiety about the rest of the hunt. Have my chances of success gone by the waist side. Crap!!! Well who knows what will happen now. Will I ever see a deer again? But I ain't goin home! :confused:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'll jump and get scared, but only for a few seconds. Deer leaving in the dark will freak me out! I think the worst for me is grouse. They will rip my heart out everytime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts