Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are the same 1Track, I like the looks of them and can see quite a few advantages for the way I hunt.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my search I found that the many of the harness hangers used them for foot platforms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
those are cool
Some sizes would be very helpfull
how far out from the tree to the step, how long are the legs, how long are the ropes, and if known what type of rope
then I think some could be made

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's just it, I haven't ever seen one in person so I could only estimate the dimensions. I've been searching for a set but they are no longer produced and guys that have them don't want to part with.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
A buddy of mine had some of these steps. He got rid of them because they we're as nice to transport as they look. Also, I seem to recall that he had trouble keeping the steps tight on the tree and yes he was using the correct knot. They would tend to loosen up if you left them on the tree for a few days. It was a pain in the neck to tie that knot on each step as you are ascending. That's the best I can recall.

I seem to recall they were make of steel, too, but not positive.

Frankly, I think the aluminum rapid rails are lighter and just as easy to transport. Plus, only one strap per section instead of a strap on each step.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dave, I have wondered how well they would tighten on a larger tree. Looks like a solid lock up on a smaller tree but seems an increasingly larger radius tree would diminish the "cam over" locks effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Jovush, they are designed to "nest" together in a stack configuration and had a carrying sack, too. Not a bad arrangement but still not all that convenient to carry. BTW, I think a guy could make them in your workshop. Of course, you need a welder, a way to bend square tubing, and some sort of jig/fixture.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I think this system would work great with a cam buckle strap instead of a rope and i think it would stay tight for a long time and not loosen. I am going to get some aluminum tubing and get a buddy to bend and weld me up some. I may try mocking one up with conduit just to see how strong that would be..

·
Registered
826 Posts
Found this info on the web...Hope it helps

Sppets International

URL:

http://www.sppets.com

Description:

Sppets International is a sporting goods wholesaler located in South Casco, Maine

Link Owner:

James Stepp

Address:

Sppets International
247 Libby Rd
South Casco, Maine

Phone Number:

(207) 655-5105

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I have built about 10 of these out of 1/2" and 3/4" EMT conduit and they work GREAT!!!! I had to add an extra gusset on the 1/2" units to stiffen them but the 3/4" units are stought enough without any extra bracing. The 3/4" units make a better stepp though!! FYI- The bottom where the two tubes come together doesn't need to be sharp or pointy, as some said, I actually just butt the two tubes side by side and let the cut ends dig in. When these are installed the tightest I have found that the rope goes around the tree below the level of the stepp??!! I have a brochure about these in my desk that I picked up a bunch of years ago at the Harrisburg show. Give it a try if you can weld them properly to be safe.

·
Registered
222 Posts
RatherBArchery: Could you post some pics? I'm kickin around using emt conduit and would like to see what kind of gusseting was required for the 1/2".

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I will try and remember to get a picture on here tomorrow, have alot going on right now getting ready for our October 1st opener.
I would recommend 3/4" EMT if you can bend it. Basically what I do is install a rod from where the two U pcs come together and where that cross member is, make sense???

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Mostly the supports are need for rolling the step over after attaching the knot. Once in position they are strong enough without the gusset. NO gusset is needed on the 3/4" stepps.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
OK, when I commented about the gussets I was remembering another step I built. The ones in the picture are made from 1/2" conduit and work well, the rope I am using is another story though :) Enjoy the pictures!! After looking at these last night it gave me a good idea for a tree saddle platform, to be continued :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
RatherBArchery:
Thanks for the pics! Very nice craftsmenship. So you said the rope could be better...could you elaborate on the flaws?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts