Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some archery hunting goals.

1.) Shoot a Typical Buck netting over 180" inches

I've shot buck that was shy of that by by about 17". My first archery that deer that I recoverd actually. If in the future I have to hunt out of state to make it happen I would do it if I could afford it. Shooting big bucks is all about location first, skill second, and luck third. You can be the best grizzly bear hunter in the world but you won't shoot a grizzly bear in Minnesota. You have to be where the big bucks are to kill them.

2.) Shoot a Typical Buck with matching Drop Tines

I have a love for typicals and symmetrical racks. I'd love to shoot a big typical with matching drop times that are pointed at the ends. I don't like clubbed antler points.

3.) Shoot an Elk

I'd love to shoot an elk.

4.) Shoot a Moose

My friend is moving to Alaska in a few years and I'd like to shoot a moose with my bow.

5.) Shoot a Grizzly Bear

I never had any interest in hunting bears. But after watching some hunting shows I'd like to shoot a bear with archery tackle. Spot and stalk would be a great hunt I think.

6.) Shoot a Double of Deer

My bro just got a recent double. The first for him. He saw 2 deer walking single file. A fawn and a doe. He shot the fawn and then the doe filling the freezer. I would like to shoot a double of any combination. Doe and fawn. Doe and buck. Two bucks. Whatever. I know that some kill a deer and an hour later another one walks by and they kill it too. I'd like to try to kill two at nearly the same time, one right after the other. Basically kill 2 deer from the same group. It can be harder to do, but that's the challenge.

7.) Shoot a Doe and recover her

I've been archery hunting 3 years and have killed 2 deer. Both bucks. I've whiffed on 2 does and killed a 3rd but didn't recover it in time. My first year I hunted I shot a doe at 35 yards. It was the near the end of legal light. It was a hard quarting to shot. When I took it I thought she was more broadside. The lighted Nocturnal did not light and I did not see if I hit it. After dark we looked and found a few drops of blood. Since we couldn't find any more we decided to back out and come back the next morning. We came back the next day and looked for a few hours and didn't find much more blood. We looked the next day too. About a 2 weeks later we found the deer. The arrow had gone right in the front of her left shoulder between her neck. She ran about 100 yards and died in some deep grass. That strange shot might explain why there was almost no blood. I still can't believe that after a shot like that she didn't bleed a lot more. Sadly coyotes had already gotten to her and there was nothing left.

So I haven't gotten a doe yet. I would like to accomplish that.

8.) Shoot a Turkey

I started turkey hunting with a bow last year. I really wanted to get one with my Magnus Bullheads and lop ones head off. I definitely had my chances. We were hunting the top of a steep ravine. I hit 2 separate turkeys with my Bullheads at apprx. 8 yards. Both my arrow hit low and in the neck and both turkeys were unfazed. Those were chip shots. I realized at that range I should have been aiming higher, not lower. Ugh. I finally switched to my QAD Exodus and hit one. He rolled down the hill and I wanted to get him immediately before he escaped. However my brother said the group of turkeys was coming down and to wait so he could shoot his. After 15 minutes they didn't so we went to get my turkey. My arrow was broken off with what looked like good blood. The turkey apparently sailed down the the hill and into long grass. We searched for and few hours and then looked the next day and never found it.

I didn't realize I had so many archery goals until I compiled this list. lol. I guess I have some work to do. I am definitely going to practice as much as I can with my bow this year. It's hard since I'm a hardcore bass fisherman too and as much as I like shooting my bow it's damn near impossible to not be out on a boat having largemouth crush you're topwater lures while its 80' degrees and beautiful out. Ask my gf. It almost cost me a relationship. lol.

Do you have any Archery Hunting Goals?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Kill a turkey and a p&y or just a buck over 110 with a bow lol

·
Registered
906 Posts
I forgot the hog that would be awesome

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have to wait on the 60 day drying period, but I think I got my ultimate goal this year which was to take a P&Y buck. Fingers crossed. Next would be a B&C buck. Then elk in Colorado. After that would be bear.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,132 Posts
I would like to shoot a deer this year. That's a start. ;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
1. To have an archery kill on a Buck
2. To always shot a deer that I feel proud of and never compromise my hunting morals
3. Shoot a turkey
4. To always have fun doing it and never make it feel like work

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
No goals...just enjoy the time I have to do it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
1) Shoot a P&y buck, and eventually have a property that I can manage where I can pass 3.5yr old bucks without a second thought.
2) Shoot an elk with a bow
3) Shoot a moose with a bow
4) Shoot an Antelope with a bow.

·
Registered
656 Posts
# 1- recovery every single animal i drop the string on. 99x30-i dont shoot unless im 99% sure its gonna die in 30 seconds. when i decided to bowhunt it was with full knowledge that game was going to be in range & walk away at times.
#2- stalk & kill all species in alberta(horned or antlered males) inside 40 yrds. moose,elk,mule deer & wt down.
#3- pass on knowledge to help others avoid mistakes & improve there chances for success.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Still trying for a pope and young. Came close two years ago but no cigar

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1) Shoot a P&y buck, and eventually have a property that I can manage where I can pass 3.5yr old bucks without a second thought.
2) Shoot an elk with a bow
3) Shoot a moose with a bow
4) Shoot an Antelope with a bow.

Forgot that. I'd like to have my home on a big enough property to manage for deer too.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Live mine every fall.

Bowhunting with my boys!

God willing one day maybe Grandkids too....

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
1) A whitetail 8 pointer that nets 150
2) An Alaskan moose
3) Caribou
4) pope an young muley
5) desert muley
6) Cous deer
7) Bull elk
8) Kodiak Brown bear
9) Black bear