Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Switchback is several years old and I'm rock solid with it. I really don't need a new bow but thought I'd upgrade if it was worth the effort of going through the setup and re calibration of my sights. I find the Switchback very forgiving with smooth draw cycle and solid backwall. I would consider upgrading if I could get a substantial gain in velocity over my current setup ( at least 320 FPS). I'm currently shooting 284 FPS. I definitely don't want a bow with a brace height of less than 7" or a radical cam. I don't mind pulling up to 80 pounds but prefer 70. there is no way I can shoot a bow with a draw length > 29". Any recommendations?? I plan on using the same setup as below.

I currently shoot 29" draw
5 grain per "
70 pound pull
Peep with clarifier and rubber tubing
string suppressor

· Registered
458 Posts
:confused2: It depends on the set up. What bow you looking at? What arrows are you shooting? How heavy's the head? Lot of questions to come up with the answer. Remember shoot what you like, what someone else has might not work for you.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
elite gt 500 7 1/8 brace height 346 ibo

with a "light hunting arrow" you should be able to get 320 fps

I'd call the cams "aggressive" but not radical

that's the only bow i can think of that will get you that speed while still meeting the brace height requirement

· Registered
3,547 Posts
The 82nd airborne should get you those speeds with the right arrow combination..and draw length..
Just curious why do you want those speeds for a hunting bow?

· Registered
2,477 Posts
The 82nd airborne should get you those speeds with the right arrow combination..and draw length..
but that's with a 6 1/8 bh

· Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the speed

The faster the arrow the less drop in trajectory and thus more forgiving for minor errors in range calculations ( I use a laser range finder for all of my shots ). However, some times the animal will walk several steps after you ranged him. Obviously the faster the arrow the deeper the penetration. Before all of you boneheads/devils advocates jump, I'm not saying a faster light arrow will out penetrate a heavier arrow. I'm saying if I shoot a Gold Tip Pro 5575 at 284 with my current setup and I shoot the same arrow/head combo at 320 fps the arrow will penetrate deeper. Surely that makes sense to anyone??

· Registered
3,547 Posts
Sorry missed the Brace height..
I was just curious on the speed,,im looking for a faster IBO speed so i can turn the poundage down and still get good speeds..
The arrow trajectory is what im thinking also..
the new Bowtech AirRaid is what im leaning towards..
The reps told me it is a pretty smooth drawing bow,,It has a 7" brace height and an IBO of 336fps.

· Got Archery?
3,030 Posts
I would look at the Elite Bow GT500. I put it in Ontarget.
Bow:
2009 Elite GT500
29" Draw
70lbs
Peep
nock point
d loop
IBO 346 fps

Arrow:
Victory VForce HV1 or 3
28.5"
100 grain tip
standard nock and insert
370 grains total arrow / 5.294 grains per pound

Shows 325.5 fps @ 29"

· Registered
740 Posts
I'm getting 325 out of my 101st airborne. 7 1/8" brace height 70lb draw weight. 388 grain arrow. that's with peep and loop on the string and it's been crackerized too.

· Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this their bow that has been having limb failures?

I'm getting 325 out of my 101st airborne. 7 1/8" brace height 70lb draw weight. 388 grain arrow. that's with peep and loop on the string and it's been crackerized too.
I was just curious if this was one of Bowtechs bows that have experienced the limb failures?? I shot a Bowtech a few years back and thought it was very nice.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I'm saying if I shoot a Gold Tip Pro 5575 at 284 with my current setup and I shoot the same arrow/head combo at 320 fps the arrow will penetrate deeper.
Depends on what bow you switch to, but you may need a stiffer spine arrow to go from 284 to 320.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
Well I'd go with the Elite GT500 I think...It should fit the bill for what you want.
The X-Force Dream Season would also do it but the Elite draws a little better I think.
The Bowtech 101st Airborne would also make the speeds your looking for but it's gonna draw a little worse than the other 2...I've owned the 101st, they have a pretty good hump in the draw cycle.
As far as arrows to get you in the 350-370grs range check the CX Maxima's or the Carbon Force Radial X-Weave Pro's...Both are tough arrows that shoot great and should be right in the weight range you need.

· Banned
3,174 Posts
My Switchback is several years old and I'm rock solid with it. I really don't need a new bow but thought I'd upgrade if it was worth the effort of going through the setup and re calibration of my sights. I find the Switchback very forgiving with smooth draw cycle and solid backwall. I would consider upgrading if I could get a substantial gain in velocity over my current setup ( at least 320 FPS). I'm currently shooting 284 FPS. I definitely don't want a bow with a brace height of less than 7" or a radical cam. I don't mind pulling up to 80 pounds but prefer 70. there is no way I can shoot a bow with a draw length > 29". Any recommendations?? I plan on using the same setup as below.

I currently shoot 29" draw
5 grain per "
70 pound pull
Peep with clarifier and rubber tubing
string suppressor
If I were you, I would hit the classifieds for an 08 model Dream Season. I love the HF cams, and you can 320 out of it pretty easy with a 5gpp arrow at 29 inches of DL. I am shooting a 357 grain arrow at #62 (the same arrow you will be shooting at #70) with a 30.5 inch DL and I am shooting 326 fps. My bow was tuned by John's Customs, and is getting 343 IBO with a peep and loop. Take away 10 for you DL, and another 10 or so for your peep tube and stuff on the string you will still be around 320-325 with a 7 inch BH. Not to mention you can get a pretty good deal on the 08's in the classifieds.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the stiffer spined shaft would have to be heavier thus negating/limiting the speed gain??
You could always shoot Victory HV's, they are extremely light even in stiffer spines. The 300's are 6.9gpi.

· Registered
740 Posts
I was just curious if this was one of Bowtechs bows that have experienced the limb failures?? I shot a Bowtech a few years back and thought it was very nice.
I'm not aware of any limb failures with this model. I'm sure there are some out there but nothing on a large scale like they experienced with the generals.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.