Archery Talk Forum banner

do you lengthen our strings or back off the limbs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
get your comments on this one. ive played with several bows and string lengths in my time and always liked to add 1/2" all around to the lengths of the strings and cables to lowers the poundage of a max setting on my bows.

for instance...

a 50/60 lb bow that i want to set at 55 max with the limbs buried using longer cables/strings.

or do some people just back the poundage off the limbs to get the desired 55lbs.

always been told its better to have the limbs buried (actually 1/4 to 1/2 turn off of buried)

·
A.K.A. Big JW
2,698 Posts
I just take turns off of the limb bolts. Changing the length of the strings will change the DL of your bow.:confused:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Always just backed off the limbs,as per factory instructions.
As for the limbs being bottemed out for some advantage,I'd need to see some solid proof of that,an even then I don't go beyond manufactures recommendations.
My last compound I had for 9 years,the latest owner has had it 3 years,I still do all the tuning on it,an it still shoots as well now as the day I first bought it.The only thing I can think of that comes close to what your talking about,is running the bow at or very close to max draw wheight to gain maximum loading on the limbs.
The last bow was max'ed out at 70lb and I shot it set on 65lb.
My latest compound,I knew I would be shooting it at 55lb so I bought a 45-60lb model so the limbs would always be loaded close to max at 55.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a long draw of @ 32" and I'm shooting a 31.5" draw bow with 30 ATA. I'd like to maximize the ATA and draw on the bow without throwing it too far out of factory specs. But then I wonder if making these kind of changes (adding length to cables and string) really adversly effects the bows performance. What could be the worse thing that could happen by adding 1/2" length?

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I just back off the limb bolts. That's what they're on the bow for. Surely nobody thinks they are just for holding all those pieces together.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
mocheese said:
I just take turns off of the limb bolts. Changing the length of the strings will change the DL of your bow.:confused:
Me too. But if you lengthen both the string and cable(s) you may not change the draw length. You many however, loose some let-off. Certainly, the strings and cables can be adjusted for personal preferences and there may be some individually disirable effects from this. However, in general, going away from the factory lengths is only going to lower the preformance of the bow and decrease it's efficiency..

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,449 Posts
Both methods will lower poundage but they also produce an opposite reaction on draw length. Backing off the limbs will increase brace height and increase draw length an equal amount. Long stringing/cabling (important to do both) will reduce brace and draw an equal amount.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Jack NZ said:
[. . .]
As for the limbs being bottemed out for some advantage,I'd need to see some solid proof of that,an even then I don't go beyond manufactures recommendations.[. . .]
I agree.

Both my bows are 40# - 55# adjustable. I've shot both at maximum weight for awhile and find that I'm most comfortable and shoot best at about 45#, which is where both are set now. Other than having to adjust the sight a few elevation clicks there is absolutely no difference in performance or "feel" at this reduced weight.

If there is a difference it might be that it affects a specific brand of bow or is perceptible only to shooters who have developed an extremely refined skill level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts