Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Yes I use locks!!

First of all most who are talking about these thefts are either parranoid ,or or worried for no reason.and some are the takers themselves. The ones who have had thier stands taken do not realize that 90% of the time it was someone they know usually a hunting buddy or one of thier buddies .Also alot who complain are actualy trying to scare guys enough not to put stands out and leave them so areas get locked down a bit .Thus they are more free to hunt where they want .In other words they are whinners for the most part and don't think its fair because they were too late to get a stand on the best spots first.

Don't sweat the small stuff put them up and lock them up!!Good luck:darkbeer:

· Classifieds Administrator
39,607 Posts
Yes I use a lock on my stands and my cameras. This is private land too surrounding by private land.

Problem is neighbors kids/grandkids wandering onto ours.

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I used to lock them all. I also had one stolen from a new property I had received permission to hunt. The thief took the stand, cable and lock leaving only my bolts for the removable treesteps.

I currently hunt private land only and don't worry about thieves on these properties. I was drawn for a refuge late season hunt in January that I will lock my stand on.

· BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
I lock mine to the tree and lock the platform in the UP position so nobody can sit it.

· Registered
382 Posts
Yes absolutely. How much does a good stand cost???? How much does some cable or chain and locks cost??? Its kind of a no brainer. But if they really want it, the locks aren't going to stop them. Its more of a deterant, than anything.

· Registered
385 Posts
Another point.........

I hang my stands from 25-30 feet high whenever possible and I don't leave tree steps installed inviting someone to steal the stand. Seems thieves have a slight fear of hieghts. :wink:
They aren't the only ones! I set up a 22 foot Ameristep Skyscraper last weekend and haven't talked myself into getting into it yet.............. It is locked though as are all my stands and cams with one exception and I worry about it.

· Registered
22 Posts
My dad, my brother and I lease land. There is also another hunter on it also. We are not allowed to sit in his stands, but he is allowed in ours. I would like to lock my platforms up so he can't be in them. What is the best way. Bigsho69 I see you said you lock yours, I need some ideas. Thanks

It may be a jerk move, but in this day and age if he was to fall out of MY stand, I'm sure I could be held responsible. So it helps me 2 ways in keeping him out of my stands.

· Registered
495 Posts
I don't anymore. Thiefs around here are carrying bolt cutters. Doesn't help to lock them anymore. Sorry state of the world!

· Registered
46 Posts
If you have a hang-on stand, just get a 24" piece of wire cable (I use 3/16") and loop both ends. Pull up your platform and loop the cable through your seat and the platform and lock it. May not keep them from stealing it, but they will not be able to use it.

· Registered
2,745 Posts
When I leave a stand in the woods, I do not. I mostly use my API climber, and take it in, and out with me. However, I do have a couple of climbers that I leave in the woods, and those I do not lock. This is all on private land, and I typically have the ones that I leave brushed in very well.

Also, I do not leave stands on public land, not even if hunt that morning, and I am returning to hunt that afternoon. I had a friend 2 years ago, that left to get some things done between hunts, and had his brand new Summit Goliath stand stolen. He was only gone for a few hours, but it only takes a few minutes, and JMO, it is not worth it.

I have seen many stands on public land, with out cables on them, and think to myself that they are some very trusting individuals.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
I worry more about the poaching going on than stand thiefs, ive got prob. 20 or more stands on my lease . if they are gonna put forth the effort to steal one of mine, then they most likely arent the lazy type and will just go buy thier own, for I dont hunt the edges to often. I like to get in deep and I know what a pain it was to get them in so I dont worry about it much just ratchet straps.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
i lock all mine up,i shouldnt have to but i sleep easier at night knowing that there locked up.I've had em stolen before and its a terrible feeling.Not only did you loose your stand and steps but that thief also took away your saturday or sunday morning hunt that you've been longing for all week.

· Registered
975 Posts
I lock them. It is peace of mind for me.

I even lock the one that I have on my 70 acres of land behind my house, it backs up to a large track of land that is leased for hunting rights. You never know? At my hunting club, we can't keep the dang 4-wheelers out of there and they have stolen some in the past.:mad: So, I keep locks on them also.

Bolt cutters:eek: Can't do nothing about that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.