Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scent lok clothing,or just regular fabric archery clothing and use a scent sheild spray or cover scents??:)

Just curious to what the preference is....:cool:

·
74,535 Posts
Scent loc

I perfer scent loc. Hot weather its just to hot to wear.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I believe scent loc helps, if the bowhunter continues to pay close attention to his scent from clothing, gear, breath etc.

If you buy scent loc and get lazy thinking you don't have to be so careful about your scent, I think it will make you less effective, especially with older bucks.

I shot a nice 9 point last year that spent 40 minutes pacing back and forth downwind from my stand. I wasn't using scentloc, but I am VERY careful about all my gear and use autumn blend" scent sheild religiously.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I believe if you hunt with the wind always in your face it does a much better job than anything you could wear, or put on. Just my two cents. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Derbytown,

You're right! Here is the problem. Have you ever hunted in an area where the wind never shifted? Even the most consistent winds change direction. Bottomline is that you can't always keep the wind in your face if you are stand hunting.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Have you ever hunted in an area where the wind never shifted? Even the most consistent winds change direction. Bottomline is that you can't always keep the wind in your face if you are stand hunting. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's especially true where I hunt Meleagris1. I've had alot better luck since purchasing Scent Lok. Although never trust anything 100 percent. Still have to be a fanatic about scent control measures.

JP

·
Registered
83 Posts
scent

I have heard that a deer or pig can smell even the smallest amount of any given scent in the air. So with that in mind would the animal not just get a deep breath and think..."Hmm, there must be a human with fox pee on his boots near by."

I have hunting partners that have killed many deer and many big deer with guns and bows that smoke and eat and sit next to the camp fire and pet thier dogs in the same clothes they wear to the stand. They do try to make sure they are down wind, as long as the wind blows the same way.

I wear cover scents, I use unscented soaps, I watch for odors and I still get nosed by deer and pigs when the wind is wrong.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Whiskey,

I will bet a large sum of money that the hunters who you know that smoke when they hunt, or sit by the camp fire in their hunting clothes etc., are not taking mature deer each year with the bow. Gun hunting is different. You can shoot a buck before he even realizes you're in his time zone. Not that easy with a bow. And even if you think these guys are doing well despite the poor scent control . . . just imagine what they would kill if were more careful about their scent.

·
Registered
441 Posts
TreeJumper I just use regular camo and a scent sheild type spray, with a cover scent.I'm not saying scent lock suits don't work.I just don't have any.It's too hot here when bow season opens for me to try to wear them,Plus they are so expensive.I've been doing ok with what I do for years.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use the camo chem suits by themselves until it gets cool enough that I can use them under non-insulated camo... I've adopted a strict scent control routine - keeping everything clean and bagged until going into the woods, then spraying down with HS Scents scent-a-way spray(unscented).... I prefer not to use any cover scents, and try to keep any scent put out to an absolute minimum... I've shot a handful of deer, and coyotes with the wind in their favor, because I believe I decreased my scent to the point that they knew I was around, but too far away to become a threat to them... I don't know if I'm right in all this, but I have seen, and taken ALOT more game since adopting these measures... When it's really warm, I take ALOT of time getting to my stands(trying my best to keep from sweating), and carry my hunting clothes in - getting dressed just before climbing in...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Cover scents. Even with scent lock clothes you should use it!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oldreloader said:
TreeJumper I just use regular camo and a scent sheild type spray, with a cover scent.I'm not saying scent lock suits don't work.I just don't have any.It's too hot here when bow season opens for me to try to wear them,Plus they are so expensive.I've been doing ok with what I do for years.
Same thing I do Oldreloader,I use the earth scent scent shield.:)

Thanks so far for the replys,all.....;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use both, if its cool enough for the sentloc.

·
Registered
441 Posts
TreeJumper said:
Same thing I do Oldreloader,I use the earth scent scent shield.:)

Thanks so far for the replys,all.....;)
Me too Treejumper.I like Pete Rickard's earth scent and have used Buck Stop Pine scent with sucess too.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Regular fabric works well for me. I prefer to rub myself down with natural cover scents such as forest earth, black walnuts, and hemlock needles.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't use any Scent lok clothing. I wash my fabrics in non scented soaps, and try to shower in oderless soaps as well. Sometimes I even spray my boots/pants down in some sort of scent killer (I don't spray my entire wardrobe because you'd have to use about a bottle every weekend).

I've never used Scent Lok. Not because I don't think it would work, I just haven't put the money down for it. I'm sure it works, I just don't feel it's worth the money for me right now.

peashooter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts