Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you push your bow-hand toward the target?

I have always used a "dead" bow arm but have recently added a slight push to the bow directly at the target at draw, with excellent results. Micheal Braden suggests this as well.

I get a very clean "break" on the shot with the bow hand moving forward and release hand moving directly back. The accuracy is impressive if the alignment is there and the push is minimal. Most of those fliers are now gone.

It looks like this when done right. I think Dave Cousins must push some to get a release like this.

So do you push?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
When I first seen this video I spent the better part of the weekend trying this and it took a while to learn the push pull method.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Oxford said:
Do you push your bow-hand toward the target?

I have always used a "dead" bow arm but have recently added a slight push to the bow directly at the target at draw, with excellent results. Micheal Braden suggests this as well.

I get a very clean "break" on the shot with the bow hand moving forward and release hand moving directly back. The accuracy is impressive if the alignment is there and the push is minimal. Most of those fliers are now gone.

It looks like this when done right. I think Dave Cousins must push some to get a release like this.

So do you push?

yep, push as much as I pull back. I use the peep and sight houseing alignment, when they line up I am pushing and pulling even. when they don't I'm either pushing to much or not pulling enough.

if I don't push and pull then I am collapseing.

·
Registered
895 Posts
push

I have tried pulling and pushing but i have found that when i do this i tend to push to much, so i get a lot of hight left, i try to just kinda lock my arm out and pull more with me elbow this has helped me alot. I do mre liek braden had talked about on his video, its like there was a string attached to your elbow and it someone is pulling straight back on it.

Cy

·
Registered
762 Posts
Push/Pull

If you watch slow motion video of all of the top shooters you will see this very thing. I forget which one of Newtons laws it is but Equal and opposite reactions. With your bow at full draw you have to exert forward pressure on the riser. When the arrow is released for you to hold your arm still requires you to put stress into your arm to prevent forward movement. Not a good thing.
Good Luck

·
Registered
28,236 Posts
I've tried it with varying results. Sometimes it's worked great, other times not so great. It's definitely something that needs to be practiced.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I push/pull. For a while I was pushing using my arm, but now I push from my shoulder. My elbow is very thankful for this. Hopefully that makes sense.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TCR1 said:
I push/pull. For a while I was pushing using my arm, but now I push from my shoulder. My elbow is very thankful for this. Hopefully that makes sense.

Shoulder push? Hey that sounds like a better way!! I will try that tonight. Thanks:)
OX

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
1oz of pressure

My shooting coach and shooting buddy told me to use 1 oz of pressure on the palm of bow hand and this gives you all the push you need. It has helped me a lot. He is well knowen around central Indiana. AC

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
archerycharlie said:
My shooting coach and shooting buddy told me to use 1 oz of pressure on the palm of bow hand and this gives you all the push you need. It has helped me a lot. He is well knowen around central Indiana. AC
YEp a little pressure is all you need. Too much, is too much. :eek:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Try this… With your bow arm straight but not locked; just like you might shoot a bow. Lean against a door jam or fence/light post and stand comfortably with 50% of your weight on your hand/arm… now try to push away using just your arm.

Difficult at best and not comfortable at all…

I teach my students to hold the bow away with force equal to the draw force… and relax the muscles of both arms… only loading the draw side back muscles… If you do this you will get the explosion you describe… have tension in the arms and bow side back muscles and you will not…

·
Lou & Jode
10,783 Posts
Push and pull with your back not your hands,your hands,arms and shoulders have to remain as relaxed as posible,when the shot breaks the bow will push towards the target and the release away.If you use your back to push and pull the force will be even,if you use your arms to push and pull(as most archers do)the force will be unequal and the shots will go left and right depending on which arm was stronger in the shot.

·
Registered
971 Posts
As I have a tendency to shake naturally even when not holding a bow, I use a more relaxed shot cycle as the less tension in my bow arm and shoulder the better so basically low and relaxed
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
If you consider yourself "pushing" I think you are "pushing" to much. To me it seems like it more like keeping a strong bow arm so you get some follow through after the shot as seen in the video.

Also

I think ( as always) draw length is critical. If you apply any pressure with to long/short of a pull the results will be very inconsistent and if you push to much you will start getting high flyers as you heal to bow to bad. However if the draw length is just right you won’t be healing the bow as it will be impossible to put to much pressure on the grip if you start out just a tad short and expand to a natural buy not hyper extended position

You also ( in my opinion ) want to keep bone - on - bone contact to me the push comes from the back muscles pushing the whole shoulder forward it's almost as you are tightening the release side back muscle you are "yielding" the bow side muscles a little

I think Javi and me are on the:wink: same page

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Carter Enterprises suggests this type of release with the use of their releases.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
loujo61 said:
Push and pull with your back not your hands,your hands,arms and shoulders have to remain as relaxed as posible,when the shot breaks the bow will push towards the target and the release away.If you use your back to push and pull the force will be even,if you use your arms to push and pull(as most archers do)the force will be unequal and the shots will go left and right depending on which arm was stronger in the shot.
Loujo, it isn't really possible to push with your shoulder or your back from my understanding of the muscles. What I was referring to was more a contraction of the latissimus dorsi that draws your bow side shoulder down effectively pushing it forward in the socket. If I just lock the socket in this postion, my shot takes a second or two longer to fire and I don't shoot as consistently.

Are we talking about the same thing?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
TCR1 said:
Loujo, it isn't really possible to push with your shoulder or your back from my understanding of the muscles. What I was referring to was more a contraction of the latissimus dorsi that draws your bow side shoulder down effectively pushing it forward in the socket. If I just lock the socket in this postion, my shot takes a second or two longer to fire and I don't shoot as consistently.

It feels to me like I'm pulling my shoulder down, producing a forward pressure on the bow, which is different than using my triceps. When the shot goes off, the bow moves forward just a bit and rotates down.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Push and pull

Got a Proelite last week and have been working on this technique. I go to full draw then exert a small forward pressure and then pull back on the release arm to make sure its straight back and firmly into the wall, and then I lock down my anchor. If I do this faithfully, its usually an X or close to it. I'm not an expert shot but I have seen considerable improvement within only the last week. Could have something to do with a lot of other variables, not the least of which is a new bow and a growing confidence in my abilities, but its hard to discount a technique that seems to be working.

·
Lou & Jode
10,783 Posts
TCR1 said:

I agree that you want to push the bow shoulder down comfortably through the shot,but the back has to take over,watch Cousins exspansion between the shoulders that's whats openning the shot-his back-the rest is just the ripple effect.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts