• I can't read

Votes: 11 11.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of you guys read while in your stand. I do. It helps me stay on stand longer and not get bored and start moving all over the place.

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
Memorize!

I'm glad I'm not alone. Frequently, I will print stuff I want to read or memorize on small index size cards that I can handle without having to flip through noisy pages. Obviously, if I'm reading a large volume of pages, I'll either use a book or download an e-book into my palm pilot. I usually have a small Bible with me for devotional reading, too.

-----
Indychris

·
Registered
303 Posts
Never thought of that!

Brown Hornet,

I never gave that a thought! lol
It was surprising to see the results! Very interesting poll!
I just might consider doing that too. I love to read and that probably would help you to forget about how cold it is. And yes, it probably would keep you from moving as much.
The only thing I would worry about, is I might get so engrossed in my book and not hear my deer coming. Oh no, I just thought about something as I was typing this; you might miss the deer that is out a ways. He could creep up on you before you could get ready to shoot him. Now, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. lol Oh well, interesting poll anyhow. And I just might take a book along, just in case I would change my mind.
Thanks for the post! :cool:

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The upside of reading far out way the down side of reading. Atleast in my opinon. When I do read I just look up every paragraph or so. I have never had a problem reading and not seeing deer because I was reading. How many times do deer come in and you don't hear them first. Not very often. Of course there are times when I don't and wouldn't recomend reading on stand. If it is wet out or if there aren't leaves on the ground and the first couple hours in the morning and the last few of the day. But if it is slow read you are already in the tree you might as well stay there. Just make sure you give a good look around every few minutes. Heck the first deer I shot with a bow came in while I was reading. I was hunting on a power line and I heard her coming out of the woods way before she got into bow range. Trust me if a deer sneaks up on you you will have the 1 second it takes to put your book down or in your pocket. If you don't (I never have had a problem) then you would be hard pressed to get a shot off even if you weren't reading.

I thought that it was funny that someone checked I can't read. How did you know what the post was about. LOL:D

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't spell to good down there either. But I was wondering how you knew what you were scribbling?;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I never read on stand. I like to keep my ears open and my eyes peeled for movement. but I will take a cat nap a couple of times on stand.:D

·
Registered
564 Posts
I used to read AND also keep my hunting journal while on a stand. I got caught TOO many times and gave it up. I'll never forget the time when a buck was right at the base of my tree (I heard him sniffing my tree step) and there I sat with a paperback book in my hand (bow hanging up). All I could do was enjoy the time spent watching him!
Now, when I'm on stand, I am either hunting or asleep (hey, I'm old, gimme a break!):D

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't read with my ears. If you are getting caught reading alot than you aren't looking around at all. I will read a few sentences or a paragraph and then look around. Besides how many of you get busted or cought off gaurd without reading? Why because you were daydreaming or either sleeping, or that deer just snuck up on you. It can happen while you are reading or while you are paying attention. But I can't sit that still that long or keep my mental edge that long without getting bored. Even though I love to hunt it can still get boring just sitting there.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I tried reading "Don't Sniff a Gift Fish" by Pat McManus one night on the stand. I tried not to laugh out loud because I didn't want to scare the deer off, and I couldn't see I had so many tears in my eyes from laughing, and I almost fell out of my stand. I will stick to more serious books from now on in the stand. It does keep you awake, but you have to keep your ears open and still keep a frequent watch.:D

Mike

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I've never read on the stand. Its kinda hard with a fourth grade education from Arkansaw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stayed in my stand one time last year all day. Did'nt get down at all. I was proud of myself. Never done that. I saw between 20-30 deer. Let two bucks walk.I took a book, a relief bottle, a lunch, and plenty of snacks. Never got busted reading. Read a few-look around. Great experience. Dawn to dusk. Reading helps pass the slow times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a little New Testament that always stays in my hunting pack. Knife, flashlight,first aid, and New Testament, those things never leave my pack unless they are being used. It is even camo, the Christian Bowhunters Association were handing them out at a shoot once.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts