Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Deer.......
I can remember mine like it was yesterday..

I was 14,had my Bear Blacktail hunter bow,,50#--comcharo (spell) release,2219 full length arrows tipped with bear razor heads.
i would come home from school,run off the bus hit the front door,grab everything and out the back door.
on this hunt i had about 300 yds to get where i wanted to be,mostly i was in a trot for the first 150 yds to the barn,,then i would go into stealth mode checking the fields for deer that might be early..
Not seeing any deer yet i picked a cherry tree close to where the deer came into the field.... no tree stand or steps..at 14 no tree is unclimbable if it has limbs..
Didn't have to wait to long until the deer started showing up...i picked the biggest doe that was about 20 yds out,broad side eating grass....i drew back and put my 20 yd pin on her ribs and cut loose...and i missed high ,,again :cry:
Deer ran back into the woods,,,so i climbed down checked the arrow and decided to make a loop and try to get in front of them..
after 4 or 5 hundred yds i started still hunting back their way through a thicket ..wasn't long till here they come walking past me at 30 yds,,i picked a opening and shot the first one i could.I hit her high in the spine and she dropped on the spot...i had to shoot her again to finish her off.
I was so excited and happy and i will never forget it.

· Super Moderator
20,486 Posts
I, too, will never forget my first. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was shooting my dad's old Bear bow that he gave to me for my first year of archery hunting. I was hunting with my buddy on his father's property that we had scouted and hung a couple ladder stands on. This property held BIG deer. The first morning my buddy had shot his buck. So the next morning, he let me hunt his stand in hopes of shooting my first deer. Sure enough, that morning. We were in our stands bright and early. The sun had come up and it was a brisk morning. Nothing like seeing your breath in the crisp morning air. I was looking around the woods waiting for the deer when I look in front of me. Apparently, a doe had snuck in front of me without me hearing or seeing her. She was 20 yards broadside as I stood up in my buddies stand and drew back on her. My knees were knocking like no other... I released the arrow and it flew straight over her back. Having no idea what happened, she ran 5 yards and stopped looking around wondering what happened. She started feeding on acorns once again as I nocked another arrow. She was still at 20 yards broadside so I laid the pin on her and released once again hitting her perfectly. She took off like a batt out of you know where. My heart was pounding like a kid in a candy store. I sit there for a while and then head back to the farm house to meet up with my buddy and his dad. We wait a while and begin tracking. We ended up tracking her a couple hundred yards and find her in a creek bottom. I had my first deer!! One of the greatest accomplishments of my hunting life so far.

· Registered
451 Posts
You never forget your first. Mine happened 1/2 hour into my first sit (after I walked back to the truck to get essential equiptment I forgot) The victim was a young buck directly below the 8' homemade treestand. Guess the shot worked cause nobody said anything about waiting for a broadside shot. It's still my favorite stand. No scentlok then just blue jeans and a waterfowl jacket.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You never forget your first. Mine happened 1/2 hour into my first sit (after I walked back to the truck to get essential equiptment I forgot) The victim was a young buck directly below the 8' homemade treestand. Guess the shot worked cause nobody said anything about waiting for a broadside shot. It's still my favorite stand. No scentlok then just blue jeans and a waterfowl jacket.
i had a pair of WWll camo coveralls,,it was tan with black and green shapes,,,good camo

· Registered
1,168 Posts
November 2 1974. I was 16 and it was my first year bowhunting. I had gun hunted for 2 years without success. My dad was a bird hunter but for whatever reason I got the deer hunting bug. I bought a 45# recurve and taught myself to shoot from tips in magazines. My very first day bowhunting I saw 6 deer and missed one. I was hooked! One the day I shot my first I was sitting on a folding stool at the base of a small pine (treestands were illegal in Michigan then). I heard a noise behind me and turned around to see a deer run off. Moments later a second deer ran up and stopped at about 30 yards. I didn't even think, just drew and shot. The deer fell and then got up and bolted. It happened so quick I wasn't sure what happened. I walked up to where it had been and saw the fletching from my arrow sticking out of the leaves. I was crestfallen thinking I had missed. I reached down to pick it up and when I did there was only about 8 inches of shaft. Looking further ther was blood all over the leaves. My heart started racing and I followed a great blood trail. 20 yards along I found the front section of my arrow where it had pulled out after hitting a tree. 30 yards beyond that I found my deer. He was a BB which in those days had never dawned on me to look for. I was just hunting for a deer. It didn't matter. I was thrilled. The bow kill in Michigan at that time was only around 5000 so any deer was a trophy and being my first it certainly was. I turned 50 this year and have passionately hunted ever since but that little BB will always be special. I can still vividly picture everything about that day. The weather, the smells, the sounds, and the excitement. A great memory.

· Registered
16,024 Posts
I remember it well. Back in 1970, Bear Whitetail hunter bow with Easton Autumn Orange shafts/Bear razor heads. Sitting on the ground since tree stands were illegal at the time and I was hunting a huge Doe that I had been seeing feeding in the hardwoods all season long. She finally gave me a shot late one afternoon at a whopping six yards and I blew one riight through her. As she spun to run away she sprayed blood all over me. She was aged at eight years old and dressed out at 202 lbs.

· Semper Fidelis
1,310 Posts
my first deer with archery equipment was a big doe. I had a Hoyt Rebel and was shooting xx75 2117's with 5" feathers and 100 grain Thunderheads. I watched her come across a field and enter the woods and gave me a 10 yard shot. That was October of 1995.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
My first one was a tag team. I had seen some does coming through a spot a couple days in a row. So, I told my buddy about it (his parents owned the land) and we set up 2 stands about 50 yards apart.

The next morning the does came in and I picked one out and shot. Hit a little far back (one lung and liver). She ran over by my buddy and stopped. He didn't know I had already shot her and he shot her in the spine and dropped her on the spot.

Pretty cool deal. We put her in the trunk of my camaro (legs sticking out) and hauled her to the check station. He tagged her and we split the meat.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great stories guys

· Registered
674 Posts
My first deer with a bow-1994-sitting on a limb about 12 feet off the ground, overlooking a clover field, saw a buck across the field about 200 yards away, grunted at him, he came walking right to me, 10 yard shot through the heart, he ran off 75 yards and piled up in the field. 9 point 1 1/2 year old. Was a great feeling. Never forget it!!!

· Registered
1,235 Posts
15 years old, December 1966.....first time deer hunting on our family farm, got this one 20 minutes into the season.

While reading Field & Stream in study hall, the article talked about a new style hunting technique....hunting from a tree. Sounded like a logical thing to do, since I had no tree stand, crawled up into a crotch of an old oak tree and waited to see what might happen. Soon two doe's passed under the tree followed by two bucks. Buck dropped about 20 yards away. I was so excited getting down I ripped the arse out of my pants....little breezy but the adrenaline over took the moment. Drug the deer about half a mile so dad could show me how to gut it.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
15 years old, December 1966.....first time deer hunting on our family farm, got this one 20 minutes into the season.

wow way nice for a first Rem!!

Is the 63 Chevy still in the family??:wink:

· Registered
4,458 Posts
yes

My first bow slay was back in early October in 2001. Sitting in a ladder stand in a walnut tree that had always been one of our best stands at the time. Early morning slightly chilly. I had on my new Scent-Lok jacket, just the jacket and BDU pants. A SMALL 8 point came in my direction right in front of me. He got to about 15 yards in front of me and turned to his left. I was wearing a H.S. mesh face mask and when I drew it some how lowered its self right over my eyes. So shooting a release I just held with it and pulled the facemask all the way down with my left hand. He was standing there broadside at 20 yards. I picked a spot and let an arrow fly from my Fred Bear Quest bow. The arrow found its mark right in the lungs of the buck. I knew it was a good hit cuz as he ran of blood was gushing out. He ran to the corner of the field about 70 yards away and stopped, srtarted swaying back and forth and tipped over. Right then a flood of emotions was running through me. I called my dad on the radio right after that. He was in a stand to the south about 100 yards away. He heard the shot. After what seemed like FOREVER we came over and I told him all about it. He congratulated me and we headed over to recover my buck. After making sure he was down we checked him out and he congratulated me some more. Then it was time to drag him out and make some phone calls.
That is still one of my favorite hunts to this day and the rack while very small is hanging on a plaque in our living room with some of our bigger mounts.:)

Also my first deer was a few years before that. Which is also one of my favorite hunts, that was a gun slay so I told the story of my first bow slay.
Ok a little about my first deer. Hunting with my dad during rifle season. I had already missed a doe or two before that. We headed out behind our house in the morning. We sat behind a big round bale in a field. About an hour later a buck walks from west to east at about 250 yards. My dad said he had a messed up rack but I didn't care. And he didn't really either but he was just telling me. I looked at him through the scope and said, "he's not messed up he's huge!" lol. But anyways I settled in took my time and made the shot. A short time later we recoverd my buck and called in some help to drag him out and show him off. He is now hanging on the wall in our hunting room. Another of my favorite hunts.:)

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Not too long ago

I can remember my first like it was just last weekend. . . .wait, it WAS just last weekend. Got into the stand MUCH MUCH later than I wanted to (I'm not even going to tell you how late) and was starting to snooze when a decent little six pt. decided to pay me a visit. Hind sight being what it is, I should have let him walk (even though my father-in-law doesn't agree). I shot him at 35 yards. Slightly (very slightly, almost broadside) quartering towards me. Waited an hour and then tracked him. He piled up no more than 100yds. from my stand. I don't need to tell anyone here the feeling I got when I finally found him. To say that I'm hooked now would be a gross understatement of the truth. The one thing that I can say is this, if it's not a doe, it had better be an old buck with some genetic problems, or much bigger than this little guy.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.