Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us use trail cams these days, both for archery and gun hunting. Do you leave yours up throughout the season, remove them when the season opens, or before the season a few weeks and stay out of the area? I guess it would depend on whether you feel the cameras interfere with deer movements (or you checking them does).

I usually remove mine from the area I will hunt a couple of weeks before the season opens, but I may put them in a different spot I have not had time to check, or on a scrape line once rut nears to identify a shooter. How about you?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
One of the guys I hunt with says leaving them out year round is cheating. I dont really get what hes thinking but he lives by it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Deer change their travel patterns and food sources.

I use mine to stay with them.All season long.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Deer Stabber said:
One of the guys I hunt with says leaving them out year round is cheating. I dont really get what hes thinking but he lives by it.
What could possibly be cheating???? Mine is out in a place I don't even hunt around?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I see no reason to remove them. In fact, I like them up during the season for the same reason I use them prior to the season -- to see what's there, when it's there, and to determine new/changing patterns.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I put mine out in June, leave it out until Feb or so.... as long as you are on private, they are pretty safe.... saying that I have had one stolen couple years back :mad:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Mine is out from early July until late January, minimum. Sometimes longer. I move it around every couple weeks.

Funny, a buddy of mine and I were hunting over a small swamp last year about 60 yards apart. At the end of the swamp 70 ro 80 yards away was my trail camera. In the pre-legal darkness, I see a series of flashes. Later in the morning (after my buddy had shot a doe), I checked the camera and sure enough I had 6 or 7 pictures of a group of does that had milled around in front of the camera not 30 minutes after we had crawled into our stands. One of them was probably the one my buddy shot.

During hunting season, they are a great tool to see what is using your grounds and how they are using it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nuff said to convince me. I was going to take mine this weekend in advance of the Oct. 1 opening, but I guess I will leave'em up. Might relocate one off the feeder to up the trail a bit. Thanks for the comments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts