Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
does anybody sharpen out of the box rage blades? if so what tool do you use?
I’ve got an assortment of heads which I’m going to practice sharpening on soon. Rage, Deadmeat, and Kudupoints. All bought from here and all 100gr.

I figured most likely I’ll be significantly increasing my bh weight, so I can spare to sacrifice a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I don’t shoot Rage or other mechanicals.
I sharpen my BHs with a Lansky system and have done so for 30++ years. Actually if it can’t be sharpened by a Lansky, I won’t use it.
In recent years, I’ve shot Muzzy MX4, Slick Tricks, Magnus Stingers, Exodous, and Iron Will. I’ve been able to get a razor edge on all of those with a Lansky.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No. I have tried sharpening on some with minimal luck over the years. I landed on magnus and just buy as I need them.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes, I sharpen Hypos and Trypans with a Lansky and finish with a strop.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
I have for friends that use rage. I use the Stay Sharp system with auto body sand paper and leather strop with a bit of buffing compound on it. Works good.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I sharpen my BHs with a Lansky system and have done so for 30++ years. Actually if it can’t be sharpened by a Lansky, I won’t use it.
In recent years, I’ve shot Muzzy MX4, Slick Tricks, Magnus Stingers, Exodous, and Iron Will. I’ve been able to get a razor edge on all of those with a Lansky.
Lansky is the Blitzenburger of sharpening systems

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I do. I actually shoot tooth of the arrow broadheads and sharpen with their sharpener and it works just fine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good info. I like to try to sharpen them a bit once I shoot them. If they have nicks in the blades from bone, I tend to not trust them as much. But will switch out blades that don't seem damaged and sharpen them for another shot on a deer.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes, I sharpen Hypos and Trypans with a Lansky and finish with a strop.
I've also been using my version of a roller-type sharpener lately, followed by stropping as always.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lansky is the Blitzenburger of sharpening systems
Can lansky be used for mechanical broadheads the same way as fixed blades?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just sharpened 6 trypans out of the pack this morning.. machine cut edges aren't smooth . I hit them a few licks on a diamond stone then finish them on a piece of cereal box with buffing compound.. I could shave my face with them now..

·
Registered
152 Posts
I sharpen all my VPA 3-blades on a fine grit flat stone. Makes a big difference from how they come out of the package, but I usually shoot all the new heads on several arrows to make sure they all seem to fly good, then I give them a re-sharpen and into the quiver they go.

Eric.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts