Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often wonder if others shoot when it is windy out or just pack it in for the day. How much effect do you think the wind has on your shots and what do you do about it?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I shot some at the target the other day in some really high wind. I just started shooting some 332 grain arrows, 50+ grains lighter than my old arrows...I was shocked at how much they would drift at 50 yards when the wind would pick up. My old arrow did not drift near as much in high wind.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I shoot in the winds also, that way I know what to expect out of my arrow if I'm ever in that position in the woods. Be prepared for every possible situation..

·
Registered
552 Posts
Shooting in the wind can be fun and you just take it as a learning experience because each time it will be different. The arrows that will help you out in the wind are very small in diameter with heavy up front weight.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I love playing in the wind. Fun to learn about drift.

·
Registered
865 Posts
wind drift

its a great way to train knowing your limitations & your bow in the wind! i do it all the time w / all differnt types of arrows ie: hunting ,target knowing their limits too !

·
Registered
915 Posts
I shoot when it's windy , but when the wind is going to strong with gusts , i shoot my recurve bows , they hold better in the wind :thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I LOVE shooting in the wind!

Its great practice and it makes things that much easier when its calm. And IMO if a person is going to be shooting competitively outside, you have to practice in the wind!

David Tubb (professional High Power shooter) said this when asked whether or not he likes shooting in the wind......I really like it. I know I've already beat half the guys at the shoot when its windy.

·
Registered
827 Posts
not much drift

I shoot a 400 grain arrow at 70lb don't know how fast it running but I don't see much drift there is a couple inches difference in high wind. It is a lot harder to hold the bow steady thats for sure. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
If you hunt. shoot 3D or do any outdoor tournaments, why would you NOT pracitce in the wind? They certainly arent going to cancel a shoot for a little wind.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I don't have a choice if I want to shoot over 20 yards. We have two 20 yard indoor ranges in amarillo and lots and lots of wind

·
And to the "Republic"....
814 Posts
sure do

:thumbs_up I am not big into 3-D yet but i do hunt. i would like to always be at the ready so i shoot in the wind, even from a tree stand
Brian

·
Time for Spots to die
2,087 Posts
David Tubb (professional High Power shooter) said this when asked whether or not he likes shooting in the wind......I really like it. I know I've already beat half the guys at the shoot when its windy.
XSWanted,

My uncle is a gunsmith in Oslo, ND, and said the same thing. He would make me come over and shoot trap and bench when the winds blew. I became a better shooter because of that.

Now if I could only convince myself to do more wind shooting here in New Mexico. Oh, that is the only type of shooting we get this time of year.

How are the flood waters? Did you make it safely?

Arrow

·
M4L
2,152 Posts
If you shoot in the Spring in NM then you shoot in the wind, 15 to 25 most days and it get real fun when it gust to 45 to 60....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts