Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When at league, it appears that only me and one other guy stretch before we shoot.

So I was wondering how many of you guys stretch your muscles before you shoot in competition?

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Absolutely. I stretch before I do pretty much anything physical any more. It really helps me keep from getting too sore during and after activities. Middle age sucks.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I don't break out into a full routine stretch like I did when I played sports in high school and college. But I do stretch.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
I always tell myself "I'll stretch next time", but until that first shot is about halfway back to anchor I forget. I know that the few times that I have stretched it has made a tremendous difference in the comfort of the first few shots. It only makes sense to warm up the muscles.

·
Registered
664 Posts
stretch

Physical conditioning is vital to doing any sport well. I shoot handgun silhouette all summer along with 3-D and I go to the gym regularly and stretch before any competition. I gave a talk on physical/mental conditioning at the 1998 IHMSA Internationls.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Stretch?....yes
without stretching my body feels sore after a shoot.
it's good to warm up before a shoot.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I should, but don't always do it. I do think it helps. When I am good and loose, I always feel like my muscles are a little steadier and more calm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I shoot on a college team and we all jog a few laps of the gym then get in a big circle to stretch. I also stretch in the morning and nights and it has possibly contributed to my not being sore after shooting four times a week and lifting weights three times a week.

I am no personal trainer, but I have a good amount of good experienced from working out in high school and college and running track and playing football in high school. Stretching is not only good for preventing injuries but also good as we get older in keeping good range of motion.

All people need to get them to stretch is a torn or badly pulled muscle to teach them a lesson.

MatrixMan

·
Registered
20,289 Posts
Oxford -

Actually, no.
But not for the reasons, most people think.

I don't find archery a physical task.
I shoot recurves and longbows from #35 - #70, and frankly I've been shooting long enough, that, that's not a strain, nor am I over extending by ROM (range of motion).

During my weight training, I certainly do excercise specific "warm-up" exercises. I also have several stretching routines, that are used to maintain flexibility, and not specific to archery / weight lifting.

Now, if anyone has any ideas on mental warm-ups or stretching, (other than the mental rehersal techniques), that - I'd like to hear about.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Stretching before shooting?....YES! Anyone familiar w/ anatomy and physiology will tell you it's a 'must do'. Most people make the mistake of working out w/out ever preparing their muscles for the task.

And to head off the inevitable argument.....sorry, but shooting 50 arrows at ANY poundage is more of a workout than you know.

Just food for thought from a Neuromuscular Therapist :)

·
Registered
20,289 Posts
Mike -

Sorry, depends on the person.
50 arrows, is not a workout for me. Mentally, yes, physically no.
Actually, neither is 500.
Not because I'm a superman, just because, I know what I'm doing, and have built up to it.

Unfortunately most examples I could give would be anecdotal.

What the heck, you asked -

My first few arrows are generally as well placed as my last, after a usual 3 - 4 hours session. There is no "post workout" strain or soreness. The only time my heart rate rises at the range, more than 10% or so, is when there's some genius next to me, who keeps nocking his arrow in my general direction. That happens all too often, at my local range :mad: .

OK, dumb example time, probably the most important shot, you'll ever take is at that whitetale, black bear etc. You will NOT be stretched / warmed up for that one, at least not in the north east.

While I'd never tell a gymnast, martial artist or ball player not to warm-up, I personally feel it's waste of time, for archery, in my case. I've never had any proof to the contrary.

And as far as "current" medical" theory goes, that changes every few years. I've seen too many studies that contradict each other, and frankly haven't seen any in relation to archery that have convinced me.

Now, if you were to tell me that the act a ritualistic warm-up / stretching session can have a positive psycholoical impact, and so affect performance, that I could believe.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Viper....got question! Here's what I do.

W/out getting into too much medical terminology, I would suggest you limber up the draw arm, bow arm, shoulder, and back muscles on BOTH sides.

Do this w/ BOTH arms.

Draw a phantom bow (pretend draw). This will stretch w/ out opposing force.

As your bow arm is extended out in front of you S L O W L Y bring it across your body at 9 o'clock, 11 o'clock, and 7 o'clock positions respectively. This will stretch the shoulder and back. Do the same w/ the drawing arm.

Contract your Rhomboids (squeeze your shoulder blades together), then do the same to your Pecs (chest). Make both of these one fluid motion.

That's the main routine I do.... aside from rolling my shoulders clockwise and counter clockwise to loosen the joint.

-------------------------

This excersise takes about 45 sec to complete, and makes it so your shooting experience is much more enjoyable....and isn't that why we got into this in the first place? ;)

·
Registered
20,289 Posts
Mike -

Actually - not too dissimilar from what I do on the way TO the range, as part of my mental rehersal. (No, not when I'm driving; my wife drive too, and I drive back !!!) Actually trying to establish / re-establish reflex arcs.

I know what you're getting at, and after a while, most of us do some similar action, to one degree or another as part of our own ritual. I honestly believe, it's more psychological than physical. That's not to diminish it's value, as I firmly believe that archery is a mental game, and not, or to a lesser extent, a physical one.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
642 Posts
After all my shoulder troubles I had last year I always stretch now with a green stretchy band I got from my PT. I also do some other shoulder stretching and opening exercises before and AFTER shooting ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Viper1- I bet that to some people the warmup and stretching is one more thing to worry about if it is not done before shooting. At least thats how it is to me. If I dont stretch, I imagine I wouldnot shoot one arrow without doing so because it helps me tell myself "time to shoot, focus" and "you cant get hurt if you stretch"

MatrixMan

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Couple of phantom draws, couple of chin ups on a doorframe if there's one about that will take my weight, and then away we go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts