Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a conversation that we often have at the local shop. I think my arrow length is right on the cusp of some saying "take another inch" or some saying "you're an inch too short".

I am currently at 28.75" dl on my Chill and am shooting a 28" carbon to carbon GoldTip (28.5 nock groove to insert).

I shoot Thunderhead 100 grain fixed broad heads during deer season.

Does anyone vary their arrow length based on use? With my indoor arrows, GT Pros, I may shorten it another inch to increase a little speed and stiffen the spine a bit but keep my hunting arrows, XT Hunters, at this length for broad head clearance.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I normally cut my hunting arrows to my draw length to keep broadheads in front of my fingers. My target and 3-d set ups I might shorten up a bit more to keep weight down and to adjust spine. I would leave yours alone.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm leaning towards doing.

Cutting my GT Expedition Hunters (outdoor 3d, don't mind losing them as much lol) a little more
Keeping my GT XT Hunters (hunting) the above length
Cutting my GT Pros (indoor) a little more

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
How did it tune? I prefer mine ahead of the rest about like yours, maybe a little more but dynamic spine dictates that, not aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I never have really worried about the inch as it has not seemed to make that much of a difference. I also like a little more arrow ahead of the rest as I feel it promotes a more stable launch, but that may just be me.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I like to have my broadhead out in front of my hand and fingers. My arrows are about 1.5 inches longer than yours.

·
Bow Only
9,577 Posts
That's what I'm leaning towards doing.

Cutting my GT Expedition Hunters (outdoor 3d, don't mind losing them as much lol) a little more
Keeping my GT XT Hunters (hunting) the above length
Cutting my GT Pros (indoor) a little more
If there all the same spine..why cut at different lengths?? Just leave them all the same 1" is not going to make much of a speed difference..

If there all the same you can switch out arrows without messing with anything...

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If there all the same spine..why cut at different lengths?? Just leave them all the same 1" is not going to make much of a speed difference..
Noted. Thanks. I was wondering if it would. If not, you're right, no sense in changing them.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How did it tune? I prefer mine ahead of the rest about like yours, maybe a little more but dynamic spine dictates that, not aesthetics.
Great thus far - with my novice approach to tuning. This summer, when I'm off from school, I will be taking it to Tony219er in NW Indiana for a professional tune and string change.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would cut em off an inch but that's just me?

·
Recreational Bowhunter
1,044 Posts
I have been struggling with the same situation. I think the others mostly covered the pros and cons. I like the idea of keeping the broadhead blades in front of your fingers but I also like the speed gained by cutting off that extra inch too. In this case, I am not sure the middle is a compromise because you can nick your fingers just the same as if you took off another inch so I say either go longer or go shorter but don't leave it where it is unless it is the shortest you can go without the spine becoming too stiff.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Looks like the same way I have mine cut. I really don't see how you could have any problems leaving the arrows that length. During these conversations that you often have, do they give you any scientific data or knowledge that would cause anyone to believe that the arrows need to be 1" shorter? I'm not trying to be facetious, I would really like to know.

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,041 Posts
Better to be too long than too short.....my wife always says.

·
Let the Arrow Fly
5,509 Posts
Normally I cut the end of my arrow to the middle of the burger hole. Lately I've been shooting a 28 inch arrow from nock groove to insert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Gold Tip and Easton specs their shafts to be cut 1" longer than the front of riser length at full draw, for purpose of FOC. I've always experimented with how the shaft tunes, so it's a personal choice for speed and how stiff you want the shaft. I've always felt that the shorter/stiffer shafts would push a bit. The days of the over draw are gone, with the current bows generating so much speed and energy.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I would see how they tune first if you decide to cut then down I would only do one and see how it tunes.
You are not going to gain much speed by cutting and inch off besides that accuracy is way better than speed anyday

1 - 20 of 43 Posts