Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids have grown up seeing me compete & bowhunt all their lives as do my G-kids. IF they want to try Archery it is at their request, I don't try to make them. I am fortunate to have 2 Adult Children that do share archery/bowhunting with me & so far 5 of 15 G-kids. 1 Son, we have shared lots over the years & the Daughter many times Deer hunting but her time is limited with little ones at present. I have 2 older G-Sons that "live" to bowhunt at present. The 3 others, younger like the fun times we share on the 3-D range & 1 will start hunting in 2018.. I am so blessed to have them join me & enjoy a sport that has a big part of my life. Don't get me wrong, Family comes 1st & we have lots of "other" things that are enjoyed. I'm the fearless G-Pa that has went down the highest waterslide & scariest roller coaster to have earned that spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
I tried to get my two sons involved in archery, but it didn't seem to take. Too interested in girls and video games. Both have bows that I bought them and hopefully they will come to archery sometime in the future. They seem interested in what I do in archery, so maybe they have been "infected". :)

No grand kids (at least that I know about)

Allen

·
Registered
544 Posts
Been taking my granddaughter hunting since she was old enough to walk and yes I had to change some pretty bad diapers out hunting :confused:I wouldn’t change a thing.. She’s getting more involved with volleyball and taking some of our hunting together away, but I’m okay with that (growing up) she’s 15 and close to 6’ tall so volleyball is a chance for a scholarship.. I know I’m bragging but that’s what grandpas are suppose to do.....

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I go with my kids or G-kids I always have a video camera & at least my point & shoot camera. I have been fortunate to have been with my son, Daughter, & 1 G-son on their FIRST Miss on a Deer & with them on their 1st kill with a bow. We Have video & still photos of these events to remember for years to come.. I say take lots of photos of family, regardless because down the road, that may be all we have to go with the memories..

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
As a truthful confession I never have been very much into kids (mine or others peoples). I am more involved as they get into their late teens and older but by then the molds have been pretty much cast. I admire those adults who enjoy and spend time with their young children or grandchildren but it just is something that I have not done very well myself. A character flaw but it is what it is ...

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I lost my 22 year old grandson last January, but as I look back on things now, the most memorable times I had with him were when we were to together on a 3D course. He lived three hours away and could only come over an shoot once or twice a year, but that was a tradition we shared and one I will always treasure.

Automan

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I got my daughter, neighbors daughter and niece hooked... Every once in a while they bring friends too... It seems like every time my truck is heading to the range or a 3D shoot, there always seems to be a bunch of kids loading up their bows to go along!!!

velociraptor.jpg
3d.jpg
Riley_Maya.jpg
jak a lope.jpg
William Tell.jpg

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Halon shooter-In the 60s I had a station wagon & it would be over loaded for shoots with teens from the neighborhood. We would average 3 vehicles loaded & always a super fun time.. It's people like you that make kids enjoy life. Now it's my adult son & 5 G-kids that shoot now..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have started my daughter young. She is 4 and has been shooting a pvc bow I made for about a year now. Right now she likes it because she wants to do anything I do. We will see how long she stays interested.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My sons been out hunting with me or my wife since 5, we are heading out in the am for a deer hunt ( he's 6) he,s caught the bug, loves to be out in the woods, fishing anything outdoors

·
Registered
136 Posts
I took my 4 year old grandson deer hunting this last fall, one of my fondest memories ever. He kept asking me (at full volume) " papa where are the deer? I told him he had to talk quieter or we weren't going to see any, then he would look through his goggles (binoculars) and say I don't see any. Can't wait till we go again.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
3-Ds are just a fun family outing for the younger ones. We just let em be kids.

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
My daughter finally got into archery at about 16 yrs old. Have now hunted for 6 years and she is still trying to get her 1st bow kill. She did get her 1st gun kill though this last season. She is VERY impatient. Still to this day, after sitting in the stand for 1/2 an hour, she will ask me where the deer are. I keep telling her that that is not how it works. She usually is ready to go inside after about an hour. LOL. But we have had some very good times seeing different wildlife. Some of my most memorable hunts, even without seeing any deer.

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 9 year old G-Daughter & Daughter dropped in for a visit & G-Daughter says, G-Pa, I think I want to try shooting a bow, will you teach me?? Guess the answer?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
soon we'll have the clan at some of the 3-Ds. Good luck to all & enjoy those young ones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts