Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so do you tend to estimate long or short in the field? I find I am estimating everything as being about 10 yds farther out then they are. Does anyone else have any similar findings?
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i used to and still do some times catch my self estimating a little closer. i take grape fruits and pumpkins and styrofoam disc. and roll them out in the yard, then estimate the yardage and shoot . some call me nuts, but i would rather break and arrow than gut shoot or wound an animal..

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
main reason

That the main reason, I shoot 3D all summer!!! you get fairly close in rangeing rather quickly after shooting 3D all summer!!

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Range finder has saved my butt on more than one occasion:)

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I think I saw a study a few months back... something like 95% of the hunters surveyed asked to judge yardage missed by at least 5 yards each time. I wish I remember where I read the article at.

I would STRONGLY suggest ranging some trees around your stand or putting out pegs or something, if you miss judge by 3 or 4 yards you should be okay... get in the 5 - 10 and you may miss.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i do use the range finder when hunting and put out markers for my yardages.
but when i am home i use both like i had said . with throwing out a foam block or even stand by target and walk away have my wife say stop and turn and shoot.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
I had several range estimation classes in the Marine Corps.

I recall a few important points.

(1.) Distance estimation is a skill that is quickly lost without practice.
(2.) There is a tendency to underestimate distance over open terrain.
(3.) There is a tendency to overestimate distance through thick cover.
(4.) When judging distance across a valley or between two ridges there is a tendency to greatly underestimate the distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts