Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday evening I set up in my home made ground. I had a really good buck come in behind me. He knew something was up. He did the head bobbing thing looking right at me. He never blew or stomped he just kinda turned around and walked back where he came from. I had two other bucks and a doe come by and a flock of turkeys ran them off. Do you think he will come back through there? I'm not going to use that blind anymore. I'll take my climber in there. He would have been my best buck and the biggest I have ever seen while hunting.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
Leave the blind up and set your climber along the trail before the buck gets to the blind. Chances are he will still walk by it but his attention will be on that blind.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,217 Posts
wild how doe's and small bucks come unglued and the wise ones just walk away like... i was never here or headed here

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Why would you sit in one of your spots before the season? The best sit in any stand is the FIRST TIME you sit it.
Good luck.
Dan

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
My season opened Saturday
Gotcha! My apologies for not realizing that.

Give it a rest and then setup in a little different spot close to where you were.
Dan

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
deer do the head-bob because they can't quite make you out and are trying to figure out what you are or try to get you to move. I still think your spot is good. like said, leave the blind. you don't want to change the scenerey again. take your stand like said before and place it along the trail that he came down. good luck.

·
Archery Addict
9,211 Posts
He didn't smell you or ID you as a threat, but he knew something was different. He will come back, even if just out of curiosity. If he still doesn't perceive it as a threat, it won't bother him at all. I'd still hunt out of that blind in that spot.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'd leave the blind alone for a couple of hunts and as said above... Set up your climber on the trail where he came from if there's a chance of that!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Leave it and hunt it in a few days or a week. In that time he will learn its not a threat. Then you've got him.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Your best chance is your first chance. Move to a tree up the trail, leave the blind where it is. Not a good idea to be moving things around during the season now that they are used to them.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Leave the blind up and set your climber along the trail before the buck gets to the blind. Chances are he will still walk by it but his attention will be on that blind.
I'm with Timmy on this. The buck just didn't feel safe.... he will be back but will look in that spot.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That makes me feel better anyways. I wot be able to hunt again till thursday so I will see what happens then.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Everyones telling you to leave the blind there. The way I read this is you have constructed a natural blind, not a manufactured pop up, right?

·
Registered
140 Posts
let it sit and dont change anything. he didnt confirm what the threat was so he was just playing it safe and he'll be back. when you go back in take the climber and set up on him
and you migh just get your shot.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
He probably came back at night and smelled where you had been. He'll move around to the side next time, or hang back out of sight till dark. Take your climber back the way he came from, get far enough away that you can't see the blind anymore, and you might get a chance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts