Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think...I'm planning a hunt with an outfitter, and was wondering if you guys think it's rude or disrespectful if I request that I have a certain guide to guide me on my hunt? I've hunted with this outfitter twice before & have had this guide I'm talking about once before. This particular guide is also the owner of the business. What do you think?

·
proud deplorable
5,560 Posts
why would it be rude? i mean go with the person you are comfortable with personally i don't see it as rude at all plus i'm sure it happens all the time

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If you are paying then its not rude.

If it was free, then it might be rude.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Other hunters in camp may not be happy that you are hogging up the person with the most knowledge (assumed) about the property and animals. I would think it is fair to rotate guides but you are also paying good money to hunt so it is certainly within your right to attempt to enhance your odds by any means. By the same token, do not get upset if your request is denied.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I do it when I book guided fishing trips. No harm in my book. Just tip well

·
Registered
51,342 Posts
^^^^^^^ agree with everyone----your money-----your choice who you want to pay. Like was said just make sure you tip him well.

·
74,535 Posts
What do you think...I'm planning a hunt with an outfitter, and was wondering if you guys think it's rude or disrespectful if I request that I have a certain guide to guide me on my hunt? I've hunted with this outfitter twice before & have had this guide I'm talking about once before. This particular guide is also the owner of the business. What do you think?
Your paying for it. Request who you want!
DB

·
Registered
464 Posts
No one will know you requested him. Just make sure you give him a good tip and he will request you the following year!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Free--May be rude
Pay--absolutely not rude. Here's why: We used to have Sailor of the Quarter Boards on my ship when I was in command. The first time I stepped onboard as Captain there was this "unwritten rule" that no one could get nominated two times in a row. I told them to ****-can that rule immediately. The reality is that, not everybody gets a trophy in life. I would bet that the one guide you are requesting got that way through hard work and dedication. The kind of dedication that should be rewarded--why?--because if there is no need for competition, then there will be no incentive for the ones that didn't get picked first as the guide to improve. By requesting the best guide the others will either a) except where they are in the pecking order or b) hopefully improve based on that competition.

To me, it's extremely important that you DO pick the best guide because if the other guides attempt to get better based on your selection, then YOU have improved the organization as a whole, which everyone will benefit from. Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Your money doesn't hurt to ask, i would want to hunt with someone that I feel gives me the best chance of harvesting a animal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
it is absolutly NOT rude! this is your hard earned money. it is your decision to use there outfit & it is in there best intrest to make the most memorable hunt for you. they make there living off of good experinces & word of mouth witch in return makes for repeat customers. you already said you enjoyed this guide & that is what you want again correct? now that being said make sure you let them know befor hand so they can plan accordingly, do not just show up for the hunt & demand that guide for your self. people loose track of what they are hunting when things like this happen.( hey! lets kill the city slicker) hehehe. if your guide is the owner he can adjust the scedule to accomidate you best, he knows your expectations. it is also his job to train & know his men (the other guides) & insert them were they fit best. So if he cant be with you he can still put his best guys with you. he absolutly knows who they are. good luck huntin!

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Not rude at all. Ask away

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Not rude at all. Just ask and say that you really enjoy hunting with him, etc. . .

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't think its rude at all if u ask ahead of time. I think that's something u should agree upon before u pay for your hunt. Don't just show up the day of the hunt and demand a certain guide as he might have promised his time else where. To me that's something to decide ahead of time

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ask a few weeks out or heck ask now if that guide is available and if so you'd like to go with him. Nothing rude about it, if you show up the day of your hunt and are a demanding then it's rude. When you call just let them know you worked with blah blah the last time and if he's available you'd like to go with him, they shouldn't have an issue with it as long as it's brought to their attention in the appropriate way if they do find a new outfit.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
If you want a certain guide, by all means ask for him. Many outfitters are more than happy to accommodate a returning hunter.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
i'd let him know early. not rude.
it is rude if you drop that nugget on him and his other clients last minute.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,680 Posts
Nope - not rude at all, in fact it probably is flattering, especially since you have a history with the organization - like others have said though, be sure to thank him properly if it works out.....

Joe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts