Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my thinking.
!. It will change the way products are advertized. Manufactuers will be held accountable for what they say and will make sure their product works as they claim.
2. It will make those on prostaffs , endorsers and those who accept ads to be
more careful in what they do and accept. ( Listed in Justia.com Case 07 cv 03970 Doc.194 page 3 is a list of those who have been received subpeona's and they include prostaffers ,magazines and others.)
3. It will allow new products to come to the market with out the fear of legal action.

What are your thoughts ?

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
the truth is always good

misinformation and predatory marketing to gullible consumers is always bad

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
Class action lawsuits are all about the lawyers getting rich off of somebody elses hard work or ingenuity. I dont use Scent Lok, I think it is a silly concept, I made that decision on my own without any help from the lawyers. Some people want to beleive it works and will beleive it no matter what any tests or law suits may say. Everyone who signs up as part of the suit will get a check for $1.37 while the lawyers will rake in millions and a company that employs many people and has made money from being more industrious than others will go bankrupt. Doesnt sound very fair to me.

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
Class action lawsuits are all about the lawyers getting rich off of somebody elses hard work or ingenuity. I dont use Scent Lok, I think it is a silly concept, I made that decision on my own without any help from the lawyers. Some people want to beleive it works and will beleive it no matter what any tests or law suits may say. Everyone who signs up as part of the suit will get a check for $1.37 while the lawyers will rake in millions and a company that employs many people and has made money from being more industrious than others will go bankrupt. Doesnt sound very fair to me.
I agree 100% with everything you said except the bolded part....whats that...a nice way of saying they flat out lied to their customers?

I like for people to have jobs too (their employees) But not due to ripping off other people....thats fair?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Here is my thinking.
!. It will change the way products are advertized. Manufactuers will be held accountable for what they say and will make sure their product works as they claim.
more careful in what they do and accept. ( Listed in Justia.com Case 07 cv 03970 Doc.194 page 3 is a list of those who have been received subpeona's and they include prostaffers ,magazines and others.)
3. It will allow new products to come to the market with out the fear of legal action.

What are your thoughts ?
I don't think this or any lawsuit will have any impact at all. People will buy what they want, and companies will offer whatever they think will sell.

I am curious why you think this lawsuit would make new companies offer new products "with out the fear of legal action".

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
lawsuit

Number 2 will only happen when there is responsibility taken by the individuals and they are found responsible. Unless they are named as responsible parties not just called to testify there is no cause for "change" as you state.
Number 1 will not happen. You must then believe that everyone else is advertising the truth. This does not happen. Advertising is the only way for one viewpoint of a product can be represented. Have you ever seen an ad where both the strengths and weaknesses of a product is discussed?

Lawsuits and class action lawsuits rarely benefit anyone. Arbitrations yield much more beneficial results.

Roy

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
IF, IF, IF Scent Lok made false claims about their products, & deceived paying customers, F'em. They deserve wwhat ever happens to them. Now if they did nothing wrong, they should have absolutely no problem proving that in a court of law. I feel it's time there be more accountability in the commercialized hunting industry. Just my personal opinion.

·
Givin' deer the dirt nap
699 Posts
Should they have misrepresented themselves and their product? NO

Should customers have been a little more skeptical about a product with such claims as the ones made by Scent Lok? Yes

I know A LOT of hunters and most of them thought the same way I did, this is a gimmick. Some actually went and spent hard earned money on the crap. I say to those who wasted their money: "You should have known better"
In many cases these outfits were just used by hunters wanting to take short cuts. They thought they could be less diligent about scent control with these products. Some were just suckers, and were easily fooled. Either way, I say again, "You should have known better"

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
( Lawsuits and class action lawsuits rarely benefit anyone) Not the case Lawyers make a killing. Whether or not you like Scentlock lawsuits like this are not for us Hunters benefit. If this lawsuit prevails more people will lose their jobs and the greedy *******s rolling around in the cash will be picking their next victim.:angry:

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Lawsuits are for lawyers and those seeking attention.

Steve

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
This has me thinking lets say this lawsuit prevails and Scentlock looses. Why not pick on Thermacell next I mean I did get bit one time when I used it? Blood sucking Lawyers and such make me sick.:pukey:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Here is my thinking.

What are your thoughts ?
1. Good.

2. Good.

3. Good.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
This has me thinking lets say this lawsuit prevails and Scentlock looses. Why not pick on Thermacell next I mean I did get bit one time when I used it? Blood sucking Lawyers and such make me sick.:pukey:
Does Thermacell advertise a zero bite guarantee?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
No but they do say they work for so many square feet. And I was being a smart a-- I love them and would use it if it only worked 75% of the time.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Still looking for a claim that Scentlok made that says outright what everyone believes they claimed.

All of what I've seen is pro-staffers attributing their undetectability to the cloths.

I was skeptical even when I bought my full outfit, but I like the quality of the cloths regardless of the carbon factor.

Let the buyer beware. :nod:

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
No but they do say they work for so many square feet. And I was being a smart a-- I love them and would use it if it only worked 75% of the time.
:D I know...I love mine too (and honestly, I don't think I was ever bitten while using it, if the wind wasn't blowing).

I think SL has a long row to hoe in regards to their advertising claims. "Forget the wind, just hunt" and "Total Scent Containment" are gonna be some real problems for them. Not to mention the claims that their clothing can be regenerated with a household dryer.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I can get $1.37!?!!!?!?! Where do I sign up?

Seriously though, I agree. This sue happy society we live in is getting worse by the day.

To the original question, mis-information advertising to sell products that do not work is pretty low and should be stopped.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why would you think it would help the hunting industry. There are products of all types that may or may not help, hunting or fishing. If you believe all the advertisment the latest fishing lure is always the best thing ever, the latest game call gimmick, new camo patterns every year, boots that won't let your feet get cold, cover scents, scent killer. All of these will probably work to some extent for somebody but never to the extent advertised. I buy all of this stuff and if it dosen't work for me I go buy the next new item that will work. It is called supporting the industry. I don't feel that I should file a lawsuit when I knowingly bought something that I knew might not peform exactly as advertised. The ones that don't work go away on their own with out the help of lawyers and courts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Remember No Trace

I don't think this or any lawsuit will have any impact at all. People will buy what they want, and companies will offer whatever they think will sell.

I am curious why you think this lawsuit would make new companies offer new products "with out the fear of legal action".
No Trace came on the market to provide an alternative to carbon clothing. They were sued out of existence and their owner bankrupted. Case then dropped. Thats what I mean. Right now SL collects royalities from its competitors after taking them to court. To remove the legal avenue to SL will allow the development of new products.

With 7 states now involved in the legal process and with more to join I don't think these products will be available when this is over.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts