Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you think the TMA is being responsible enough?

762 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  ksbowhunter1
There are several reasons why people don't wear Safety harnesses, but even more reasons why they don't climb safe.

I think the biggest reason is because the TMA (Treestand Manufacturers Association) does not promote it as well as they should. Therefore, bowhunters are not as educated about treestand hunting danger as they ought to be. Notice I said the word 'dangers'.

For the TMA this would be a double edged sword. If in fact they warned hunters about the dangers of climbing into treestands, and started talking about all the carnage that goes on, then too many folks may get scared, would stop climbing, and their sales would go down.

There are really an enormous number of falls all across the country every year. Most are not reported to state DNR offices. Hospitals call hunters that fall "Deer Divers" because there are so many. There are fatalities, paralysis causing quadraplegic or paraplegic cases, losses of limbs, shattered backs, legs arms and many life changing injuries that we just never hear about. Now why would the TMA ever want to talk about this.

Frankly, I blame them for this carnage. I know the old story, you lead a horse to water..., but I don't think the horses have been led to the water yet.

I do know one thing for sure though.
I will never hit the ground again.
Been there, done that.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,720 Posts
While I applaud your efforts to educate others, the simple fact is that if you can't figure out that a 15-25ft fall can kill or criple you, you likely can't read any of the warning they put on the equipment and you won't pay attention to anything they tell you. At some point common sense, not more warnings and education, needs to come into play.

· Registered
9,545 Posts
i don't think anyone is responsible for a single persons bad decisions, other than that one person. No one is telling people its OK to climb without a harness, so anyone that does is doing so knowing the chances. there are some people who will never use one, it's not even a thought to them. i wear one without anyone ever telling me to, because everthing i know about hunting is self taught. the simple fact is, there maybe plenty of bad stories out there of people falling, but the real odds are if 100 people NEVER used a harness, only 1 or 2 would fall. That 1 or 2 adds up, and its tragic, but its not enough to make everyone think about it.

· Registered
3,754 Posts
but the real odds are if 100 people NEVER used a harness, only 1 or 2 would fall. That 1 or 2 adds up, and its tragic, but its not enough to make everyone think about it.
I don`t know what the real odds are, but I`m guessing that they are higher than 1 or 2 out of 100. I can assure you that once you have a stand fall out from under you, you will never take anything for granted again.

As far as the TMA goes...they can only do so much. Common sense should tell you that there are numerous things that can go wrong as soon as your feet leave the ground.

· Registered
725 Posts
While I applaud your efforts to educate others, the simple fact is that if you can't figure out that a 15-25ft fall can kill or criple you, you likely can't read any of the warning they put on the equipment and you won't pay attention to anything they tell you. At some point common sense, not more warnings and education, needs to come into play.
Exactly. Posts like the original one just confirm the dumbing down of American culture and our never-ending need to blame someone for our own poor choices.

· Registered
359 Posts
Tell you what, I am so tired of seeing these safety harness, and treestand posts this year. If you want to be safe....wear a harness. If you think you might fall out of a treestand....hunt from the ground. Doesn't this just about sum it up??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.