Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or, do you think you'll fall again?

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
Never say never

But one fall and a couple of near misses taught me some valuable lessons. I won't make those mistakes again, but who knows what new mistakes I'm capable of making.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I hated to vote no, even though I did (nock on wood). It's more of a "I hope not". But I do wear a safety belt every time I climb just in case.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I absolutely will never fall again. I hunt on a safety line and wont' fall more than about a foot if I do.

Of course, I understand that I could get hurt even doing this, but I already fell 8 feet and shattered my ankle. I consider myself very lucky.

That my friends is confidence. The system is easy and inexpensive.
1 out of every 3 of you will fall. Don't be a statistic.

DO IT, Please.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
If thought that I was going to fall I would make a change to something to make myself more secure!

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
I said "NO"

If I thought I would fall, then why would I go up.:confused:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I fell once and don't plan on ever doing it again. Luckily I was not hurt, but it scared the heck out of me. Now that I have 2 daughters I am even more concerned about.
I use the Summit Seat of the Pants with the 30' line attached to my trees.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I've read that statistically, 1 out of 3 bowhunters will have some type of fall from a treestand during their bowhuting career......

If, at the end of this poll, we had 100 bowhunters vote and 90 say they don't think they'll fall and 10 say they think they will, then 23 of the 90 will be proven wrong at some point in their bowhunting career....:sad:

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
I think the chance of me falling is indeed very slim. But I sure wouldn't rule out equipment failure. There was also the time that I was dozing in my stand and a turkey landed on the branch above me and nearly caused me to jump!

I'd never even consider being in a tree without my safety harness.

·
74,535 Posts
I might

Most likely happen while climbing into the tree and setting the stand.

It can happen.

·
Registered
693 Posts
DB, I agree the greatest risk is climbing and transferring onto the stand. I think I have eliminated that risk by switching to ladder type stands. They are super heavy to set up originally but are simple to climb and sit down. I also have never had one of my ladder type stands stolen. I personally feel they are so heavy and a pain in the butt to haul into the woods that I think the thieves think twice about taking them.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
i have fell out of my deerstand and i bet i will again. But i hope it isnt that bad.
matt

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TexasGuy said:
I've read that statistically, 1 out of 3 bowhunters will have some type of fall from a treestand during their bowhuting career......

If, at the end of this poll, we had 100 bowhunters vote and 90 say they don't think they'll fall and 10 say they think they will, then 23 of the 90 will be proven wrong at some point in their bowhunting career....:sad:
Then read this...
hoyt bowhunting said:
i have fell out of my deerstand and i bet i will again. But i hope it isnt that bad.
matt
hunter3d said:
Fell two weeks ago but it isn't going to slow me down.
Jeff in SC said:
If thought that I was going to fall I would make a change to something to make myself more secure!
old Graybeard said:
If I thought I was gonna fall I would do something more to prevent it.
Seems were not a very bright bunch.

I've only got maybe 40 hours of treestand in my whole life (I have a hard time sitting still and have over-the-ridgeitis :embara:), but I climb in the tree thinking that I could fall, and take whatever measures I can to help me when I do. Maybe its because I haven't become complacent due to the routine setting of stands...

I wonder how the poll would read if this was posted at deadsteelworkers.com...

·
Registered
625 Posts
This thread is why I post so adamantly about climbing safety.

This is very disappointing to me.

It must be great to have the mind of an 18 year old and think you are indestructible.

Maybe you guys ought to join the Marines.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Everytime I begin to climb, I try to think I will fall. I then clip in my safety harness and relax a bit.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
I've been climbing in and out of stands my whole life.
I make sure i have 2 good foot holds and 2 good hand holds.
I also keep my body very close to the tree (do not lean out for anything).
I never use older (questionable) stands.
I never doze while on stand.
I just dont think i'll ever fall, but i guess no one does...
i voted "NO".

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Changed all my stands to tripods & ladders, My kids are hunting now. Safety is huge for me. Just about all my ladder stands have a secure railing. You would have to jump out of my tripods. My lowest stand is 15' at your feet. If your far enough ( 15 yards off a trail and with a good backdrop) you almost never get picked off. I've gotten up in my tripods and stretched with 4 deer in the food plot 10 yards away and they never noticed. Both my boys got their bucks from these stands last year. Best thing about it is they're hooked.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts