Votes: 35 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 100 74.1%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I promote climbing on a line, just as a rock climber does. I'd like to see how many of you have taken this up while bowhunting or gunhunting from a tree now.

And, as I've mentioned before, I'll send the instructions on how to do this to anyone that wants them. Just send your email address to me at [email protected]

Recently I sent the instructions to another hunter and this was his response:

James,
FANTASTIC!

Thanks so much for the info. A buddy and I set up
about 7 stands that we hunt in rotation over a given
fall. I will be doing this on each, mark my word. I
used to wear just a waist belt on the stand, and used
screw in steps. I recently switched to a vest-type
harness and climbing sticks, I'm 38 with a wife and 2
kids and don't want to kill myself, you know! But
I've always been aware of the risks of climbing up and
down. I DID NOT KNOW that 85% of the falls occur when
climbing up and down. I thought I was safer than
that!

Thank you for the great information. The life you
save might be MINE!
Joe

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just bought the 3-pack of the Summit climbing system, as I'm also married with two young kids and have heard too many sad stories to keep betting my health/life that I won't fall. Stay safe!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, can't seem to post pictures yet.

I'm a little disappointed in the response here folks. In other forums, this topic normally takes off pretty quick and holds near the top. Maybe it's that you guys are already hunting as safe as you can so this doesn't matter.

?????

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
This idea is fairly new to bowhunting, I am interested though, especially since my oldest son will be climbing into my stands this fall.

What do you use for the climbing line?

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
James, I assure you plenty of people are interested in what you are saying. Can you explain what you mean by climbing on a line? Instructions? If you want me to post pictures for you, send them to john at johnsprague dot com and I'll post them right away.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Safety Line

I don't get off the ground without being attached to the tree and recommend everyone else do the same. heh

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I hang a stand, at least 25' of 3/8" braded nylon rope goes up with me, every time. I use 2 linemans belts ( flipping ropes actually) so I can get around limbs and never be unattached. After getting the stand hung, I'll tie the 25' of saftey line above the stand, install the Prussik knot and then drop the loose end to the ground. I then attach my harness to the Prussik knot, unhook the linemans belt, climb onto the stand and attach the tree lanyard to the tree. An then I unhook from the saftey line. When I get back down I'll tie saftey line off to the bottom of the tree. Every thing stays put untill I move or take down the stand. The 3/8" rope cost about $15 per hundred feet. While this sounds like a pain it is very easy and quick and now everything is set so there is no fumbling around in the dark.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
No:embara: I use a harness, but I hate stepping off onto a hang-on. I have been using my climber more and buying ladders as a result. My thought has been it is too difficult and I have too many stands to bother with it. I guess I am never too old to learn, e-mail sent. Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob H in NH said:
This idea is fairly new to bowhunting, I am interested though, especially since my oldest son will be climbing into my stands this fall.

What do you use for the climbing line?

I use rope from BlueWater Ropes. A climbing rope company. The main line is 11.6mm and 30 ft. long, the prussik loop is made with a 4' piece of 7mm line.

I can't post pics yet. soon I hope.

Jim

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
torque said:
When I hang a stand, at least 25' of 3/8" braded nylon rope goes up with me, every time. I use 2 linemans belts ( flipping ropes actually) so I can get around limbs and never be unattached. After getting the stand hung, I'll tie the 25' of saftey line above the stand, install the Prussik knot and then drop the loose end to the ground. I then attach my harness to the Prussik knot, unhook the linemans belt, climb onto the stand and attach the tree lanyard to the tree. An then I unhook from the saftey line. When I get back down I'll tie saftey line off to the bottom of the tree. Every thing stays put untill I move or take down the stand. The 3/8" rope cost about $15 per hundred feet. While this sounds like a pain it is very easy and quick and now everything is set so there is no fumbling around in the dark.

Sounds like your really got this down torque. My only concern is the type of rope you are using. Just any hardware store rope really should not be used. I get life line rope from Blue Water Ropes. You can pick up the same from any climbing store like REI.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use a lineman's style harness. The only time I am not connected is when I disconnect the line, flip it over the stand platform and then reconnect to step onto the stand. The when undo the line and clip onto the tree strap.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DeerAnil8r said:
I use a lineman's style harness. The only time I am not connected is when I disconnect the line, flip it over the stand platform and then reconnect to step onto the stand. The when undo the line and clip onto the tree strap.
Good luck with that. In my book and if you ask any rock climber as well, disconnecting is an absolute no no.

Saying that you are careful is never good enough either. It only takes a split second to make a mistake that will affect your life forever.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I pretty much just hunt out of climbers, and I have my harness attached to the tree before I leave the ground.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
When my oldest child was born, I developed a fear of heights. Which I think was my issue with becoming a Dad and wanting to be around....

In any event, I always use the full body harness and the Summit system. In fact I just ordered three more lines this morning for new stands this fall. That way I am taking additional steps to prevent an accident. I work with people with head injury and paraylisis because of accidents, and if you can prevent it, do it!

Daver

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with the use of a certified climbing rope. I recently went through a high/low ropes facfilitator certification course where we spent many hours going over many safety issues (ropes, knot tying, harness issues etc.). Using a certified rope that is tied (using the correct knot) above your stand and extends to the ground seems appropriate where a prussik knot (tied correctly) could be used. Using this system, you could stay connected the entire time and slide it up/down as you go. Prior to stepping on to your stand, you should slide the prussik knot as high as possible. You should also be able to navigate/meander around limbs etc. going up or down using this system. The rope would have to be secured so that it would not move/sway in the wind while you were hunting, however. Also, the rope would have to be constantly inspected for wear or damage from critters/elements. The problem with this system is that if you leave it in the woods, you don't know if it is damaged while you are going up. I have not had a squirrel or other animal damage/chew on a rope, however.

With all of the climbing options available......there should not be a need to be completely disconnected at any time. If you have to disconnect, use 2 climbing clips (******* as they are called) and when one is disconnected the other should always stay connected.

I would highly recommend learning more about proper use of ropes, climbing equipment, and knot tying.

One last note.....I had a friend who was using climbing steps and slipped climbing down without being connected. He slid down the tree, a step caught him in the groin area and opened him up all the way to his naval. He crawled to safety and is alive to tell his tale, but has learned a valuable lesson in the process.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like something I need to look into...... EMAIL SENT!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts