Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read another post of mine, I'm up to my ears in one big rash from the seed ticks. I think they liked the DEET I was wearing when setting up the stands...

Now, I have yet to find a scent free DEET product, but what about treating your clothes with Permanone (pyrethrin) before hunting and letting it air dry for a day or two? I don't think it leaves a smell. Anybody try it? It won't do much against mosquitoes but it is quite amazing at keeping ticks off. wish I had thought to use it the other day!

I just haven't tried it for bowhunting.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I have used it and no more ticks. I am not entirely sold on the no smell claims they make, but I have killed deer while using it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've used it for several years with no problems. As mentioned, spray it on and let it air out. Supposedly it's stays on through few washings.

·
Registered
645 Posts
They claim it stays on after a couple of washing so maybe let it dry then wash your clothes.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I use it everytime I go while it is warm and I live in the skeeter capital of the US. Good ol hot almost all year Louisiana. It works very well here.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
this is the best stuff i have every used. i buy a can every time i am at wal mart in case they take it off the shelves. i been using it for about 8 years. i hunt the swops ,ostly and only off keep me skeeter free. i spray all my warm weather gear and let it dry. it take about a can to do all my stuff. the skeeter bothers me for about 1/2 hour and just flying around me. they will not land on me unless it my face. they they are gone. some may fly around me a few time during the day but they dont stick around. even when i was in main they tell me the black flies was bad but i did not knew they was around and the guide asked me what i used. it usly last for about 4 qashes i may have to respayed it befor it cold. you can tell the skeeter will land and stand there for few second befor flying away. i realy dont think deer can smeel it specly after a wash. i herd from a guy the are putting in the closed in the next few years. i waiting for the people say it cause cancer

·
Registered
198 Posts
Awesome stuff been using for ten years. Spray on clothes tuck pants into boots no more ticks!:)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Oohh, but it does work on skeeters! As a matter of fact it works great on mosquitoes.
We use it here in South Texas when at times there are so many mosquitoes that they will fly in your mouth when you talk. I have used it for years while deer hunting and have had some deer very close to me and have not had a problem (we hunt on the ground, Mesquites aren't good for tree stands). I usually hunt off the ground or from a 6' tripod.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info...I will be using it this fall a bunch...but I can't sit still enough to hunt right now I'm so eat up by the ticks. I use the stuff every spring turkey season and find maybe 1 or 2 ticks on me all season, and they are looking kinda sick :pukey:

I'm sure if I went to the doc today they would put me on something to cure or prevent lymes or erlichliosis or whatever, I got so many bites that if only 1 in 100 ticks had it, I've been doses several times :eek: If I get any hint of a fever in the next few weeks I'm going straight to the doc!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Best way to use permethrin

THis is how i use Permethrin. Its a recipe i got off a web site for people travelling to countries wher malaria is prevalent.

Go to a feed store and buy an insecticide w/13.3 % permethrin. There is usually some type of petroleum base to the insecticide but don't worry this will evaporate off and the final product will have no scent whatsoever.

Mix 1 oz of the insecticide
15 oz of water
Stir well

THis will make enough to "treat" one outfit (shirt and pants).

Mix enough of this to do a couple three outfits (and gloves, facemask, etc) at a time. Mix it in a five gal bucket that can be covered.

Place your garmets in the mixture. Leave for 2 hours so that the mixture "wicks" into the fabric. You may have to turn your garmets over in the bucket after a little while to get good coverage and wicking.

After two hours take garmets out and hang outside to air dry. THen machine wash and dry. The garmet is now protected for a years worth of use. No mosquitos will land on any of the treated fabric.

Ive been using this technique for five years now and I hunt in the Louisiana swamps and we definetly got mosquitos. Works great.

Insatiable

·
Registered
606 Posts
Last time I bought it, I bought 2 case. Thats how much I like it.
Just like Chuck said, I'm not convinced its odorless, but I've been using it for Maybe 10 or so years now and cant remember EVER finding a tick on me. And there have been some bad tick years too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Permanone (pyrethrin), also known as Permethrin was designed specifically for use on clothing. It is a synthetic equivalent of a chemical found in the fower chrysanthemum. The US military recommends the use of Permethrin on uniforms and deet on the skin as the best level of protection from insects. The US military issues kits for field treating of uniforms with Permethrin. Extensive research regarding safety has been done by the government. Permethrin does not work well on skin because skin has chemicals that break down the effectiveness very quickly.

If you use it on your clothing you still need to use deet on exposed skin. For Chiggers and ticks I spray my pants legs with Permethrin and spray deet on my lower legs just in case some crawl under the clothing.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Ticks

It works, after a deer tick on me at a tournament, I started use it. no ticks at all. Just like others said, when i am in wall-mart i buy at least 2 cans.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been using the new"Outdoors" Scent-Free 100% DEET OFF! that they've been carrying at Walmart. Stuff works GREAT on bugs and I haven't had any problems being winded when I was using it- not when I was playing the wind correctly, anyway. Been hunting with it since Spring Turkey and all summer on Hogs.

My $00.02

Nick

·
Registered
782 Posts
I use both of these too....

chuck7413 said:
I have used it and no more ticks. I am not entirely sold on the no smell claims they make, but I have killed deer while using it.
I use both "Permaone and No More Ticks" ...
The key is that you should still spray yourself down with Scent-Killer before you go into the woods.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I sprayed the stuff on my boots and pants last year for an African Safari. All the hunters found ticks on themselves. I never found a tick. And they carry tick bite fever. I will use it from now on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts