Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys use if you use anything, i dont have the choice of hunting on private land and setting up a feeder, blind, stands, etc. So i was wondering if you guys use any calls or scents to attract deer to where you are, normally on WMA and stuff. Fire away!! Thanks

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
here in pa. i use no scents. i do use grunt tube and doe bleat and cover scents and scent eliminator . i have found HERE IN PA.NOW BEFORE I am called an idiot this works in pa. . i have hunted here for over 20 + years if you want a big buck dont use any scents but , cover scents if you want a 1-1/2 -2-1/2 year old buck use scents 2-1/2 year old will come almost every time first time he has terrritory and he has a hard on, of coarse you cant scratch with a knife . but the big boys wont fall for that fake scents. i chased away one of the biggest deer i have seem around here with tinks 69 doe pee soon as he smelled it he was gone 170 class that was last time i have used deer scents . and have gotten bigger bucks since, i quit using that garbage . cover scents and scent killer i still use

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use buck bomb as well and I have had great luck with it. It is an areosole spray that comes in different scents I use the doe estrus scent. I also use the primos up roar 3 in 1 call it has a grunt bleet and snort weeze on it. I really like the grunt and snort weeze but if you wanna use a bleet call the can is pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not a fan of using any kind of attraction scents. I try to limit my intrusion as much as possible which is especially important when hunting private land. I however have had succes using Tinks Power Scrape scent in already established scrapes or previously used scrape sights. For the calling aspect, I have great success grunting and rattling to deer, but remember to do it sparringly in high pressured public hunting ground. I only call to a deer when I have spotted them and they appear not to be coming my direction.

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
I only use scents if I am desperate in the late season and have not filled my buck tag yet...

I don't use feed either.....all that does is bring in the bear.....and I want them to stay far away....

·
Socket Man
23,749 Posts
Yes, in the last few years I can say that half of the does and bucks I have killed have been directly brought to my stand because of a call or urine. The other half were just passing through and lucky was on my side.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The more hunting pressure that the deer you're hunting are subjected to, the LESS calling and scent usuage you should use. Keep it simple and stick to things like basic grunts. Also, call ONLY to deer you can see and "read". Blind calling only serves as a reason for a Buck (or any mature animal) to circle downwind and confirm what it hears.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please state what you useif you use calls or scents so i have an idea. Thanks guys AT always comes through with answers

·
Registered
140 Posts
here in pa. i use no scents. i do use grunt tube and doe bleat and cover scents and scent eliminator . i have found HERE IN PA.NOW BEFORE I am called an idiot this works in pa. . i have hunted here for over 20 + years if you want a big buck dont use any scents but , cover scents if you want a 1-1/2 -2-1/2 year old buck use scents 2-1/2 year old will come almost every time first time he has terrritory and he has a hard on, of coarse you cant scratch with a knife . but the big boys wont fall for that fake scents. i chased away one of the biggest deer i have seem around here with tinks 69 doe pee soon as he smelled it he was gone 170 class that was last time i have used deer scents . and have gotten bigger bucks since, i quit using that garbage . cover scents and scent killer i still use
i live in PA too and now that you mention it i think your right. i dont remember anytime killing a big buck using scents. im pretty sure everytime forget to bring it i kill a big one.

i do use calls on the other hand. they seem to love a primos original can

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
if you really want a big boy, stay away from any scent........ they know better..

it took me a few yrs. to "see" for myself what reaction they have to them.......all bad..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to disagree with all you guys but I have found that during the pre rut that doe estrus and snort weezing works very well.

Maybe the deer I hunt are just dumb but if it didn't work I wouldn't use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts