Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Spitfires for the last 5 yrs. Doc's threads on broadheads versus phone books got me thinking.

I have killed deer with Spitfires after impact with heavy bone on at least 3 occasions. In all cases the head stayed intact, but the arrow shattered.

Resulting penetration was poor, but still lethal. I doubt ANY amount of K.E. would have improved penetration significantly.

In my opinion once the arrow shatters it dissipates all the energy and it can't push the head through.

I think the reason the arrows shattered was because of the large cutting dia of the Spitfires.

I don't think it is possible to force that wide of a head through heavy bone without a much stronger arrow material. Stronger than any arrow material to date.

If I can get the Strikers to hit within 2" of my field tips at 20 yrds with a 5 M.P.H. crosswind, I will have them in my quiver next month.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I shot Spitfire XP Pro's last year, my problem with them was not arrow shafts shattering.

Shot an Allegiance which developed about #75 of K.E.

Whenever bone or rib was contacted, the aluminum ferrule bent.

I am not much for a $12 disposable broadhead.

This year = Slick Tricks.

·
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think a bent ferrule is very bad. It makes the head unshootable, but it does not really affect the performance "in the meat". It is true that the head must be discarded, but it has already done its job.

If blades break off, or the arrow stops moving, the head cannot complete the task at hand. I consider that broadhead failure.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I shot spitfire xp's last year with good results and some nasty pass thrus, I doubled lunged a buck this past weekend and had a broke blade on the striker, but I will still use them. I dont think 2" will be a problem. They fly like darts.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I don't think you'll have any regrets with those Strikers. I'll be screwing them on to my arrows as well. The most recent test was the Rocky Mtn. Snypers and I was again surprised at the results, the head literally went to pieces
See this thread for further details
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=382665

I have used various heads in the past, but the one thing I do know is that when a new head hits the market it will be hitting a phonebook or other test medium before I use it for deer. We always see advertisements about concrete blocks and penetration, but obviously these tests by the manufacturer can't be taken too seriously. We also hear this and that head is the best, well I say show me proof. I don't know how "real world" shooting a phonebook is, but I can tell you it's tough to get through.:wink:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
copterdoc said:
Can you post a pic of the broken blade?
I could but then I would have to borrow a digital camera or waste a whole roll of film. It was a small break in the blade but it still kept its shape and stayed intact. The ferrule remained fine along with the other 2 blades.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
How funny, he talked me into getting Sonics......
really? It helped me steer away from sonics. I already have some strikers on order! :wink:

rick

·
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the blade lose its ability to cut? Did it separate from the head? Where did the break occur (at the fwd end of the cutout... the part that slides into the arrow insert... ect.)?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
copterdoc said:
Did the blade lose its ability to cut? Did it separate from the head? Where did the break occur (at the fwd end of the cutout... the part that slides into the arrow insert... ect.)?
It happeng in the very middle of the blade on the edge side. The edge is curled maybe 1/8 to 1/4" upward. The arrow was found flat on the ground right behind where the deer was standing with a small amount of dirt on the tip. I am awaiting doc's mailing address so I can mail him the blade. I hoping come sat. morning I can run some more tests on a big fat momma :darkbeer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts