Archery Talk Forum banner

Dodged a bullet- literally

2616 Views 24 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  snp0x
Hat tip to Bowboy over on bowsite for the photo….

Thats a cool mount….
Natural material Jaw Wood Horn Working animal
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
882 Posts
I actually did a similar thing.... Several years ago I had hit a large 10 point buck in the vitals and it took off and stood at 70 yards. I shot another arrow as a follow up and hit the buck in the antler. It actually broke off one of the points and wedged in the opposite antler. The buck was in the process of expiring but fell over in its tracks when I hit the antler. I told the taxidermist to leave the G5 Striker in the antler.

· Registered
Headshots only
1,845 Posts
@Venari Cervorum would you like to offer some analysis on this failed headshot for the betterment and learning of the AT community? :LOL::ROFLMAO:
This picture came up in another thread and I touched on some of the mistakes I made on this deer in my formative years as a sponsored headshooter.

I don't want to make excuses, but I'll go into a little more detail so aspiring headshooters can shorten their learning curves.

1. I forgot to clock my bareshafts and put the wrong helical on.

2. I wore my HECS shirt, but forgot my HECS pants. The buck was on alert because he could sense the static electricity coursing through my leg hair.

3. I wanted to be completely scent free, so I had my 4 ozonics machines pointing down at me in my saddle. I had a crushing headache and vomited into my Traverse hoody while at full draw from all of the ozone I had been breathing.

4. Aluminum riser was really cold, thus making my sensitive hand uncomfortable.

5. My 19 closest hunting buddies without tags kept texting me GPS locations of other big bucks in the area.

We all learn from our mistakes. I followed his bone trail for a few hundred yards until the chips dried up. The tracker I called stopped answering me and got a restraining order after I yelled at his teenage daughter in a pharmacy parking lot. I feel like I did everything I could do to ethically recover that deer.

· Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm glad I asked. Thanks for my daily laugh. Much needed.
This picture came up in another thread and I touched on some of the mistakes I made on this deer in my formative years as a sponsored headshooter.

I don't want to make excuses, but I'll go into a little more detail so aspiring headshooters can shorten their learning curves.

1. I forgot to clock my bareshafts and put the wrong helical on.

2. I wore my HECS shirt, but forgot my HECS pants. The buck was on alert because he could sense the static electricity coursing through my leg hair.

3. I wanted to be completely scent free, so I had my 4 ozonics machines pointing down at me in my saddle. I had a crushing headache and vomited into my Traverse hoody while at full draw from all of the ozone I had been breathing.

4. Aluminum riser was really cold, thus making my sensitive hand uncomfortable.

5. My 19 closest hunting buddies without tags kept texting me GPS locations of other big bucks in the area.

We all learn from our mistakes. I followed his bone trail for a few hundred yards until the chips dried up. The tracker I called stopped answering me and got a restraining order after I yelled at his teenage daughter in a pharmacy parking lot. I feel like I did everything I could do to ethically recover that deer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts