Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiance running into a doe with antlers... I have heard of this before and one time this year I witness what I believed to be a doe but it looked like it had tiny little spikes. Looked very old also. Once they stop going into estrus from age can they have testosterone levels that produce antlers? Is this just some freak of nature that just happens sometimes? Am I off my rocker? What do you guys think?

·
Prairie Ghost
1,950 Posts
It does happen and no it's not caused by menopause, no matter what your elderly neighbor lady with a mustache says.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does happen and no it's not caused by menopause, no matter what your elderly neighbor lady with a mustache says.
This might just make it into my signiture.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
No experience with any myself but enough of them have been killed to prove they exist.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have a unicorn doe on camera. She had twin fawns this yr too. Typing this from my phone or I would post the pic. Sha had about a six inch spike.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was playing around on google and found many pictures. The only place I found an explination for this said it had somehting to do with testosterone levels. I know in humans that a female with high testosterone has I high probability of being infertil, but it looks like there are many claims of these antlered deer being fertil. This is crazy and difficult to wrap my mind around. The spiker I saw appeared to be a doe being in a group of all does, and releving its self like no buck i have ever seen. The body shape was just like an old doe, plus if it was a buck I think it would of had alot more bone hanging off its head for its size.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a unicorn doe on camera. She had twin fawns this yr too. Typing this from my phone or I would post the pic. Sha had about a six inch spike.
Nice when you get the chace I would love to see this pic

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
i've been getting pics of a doe with antlers since 2006. she has had fawns every year except 2010. we have decided to let her keep living until nature takes it's course.

here's a video from last year that i posted on you tube.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I watched this deer that I dubbed "The Freak" for 3 years from 2007-09. I was certain that it was an antlered doe. Of course everyone though I was crazy for thinking such things...

That is, until I found her frozen carcass floating down the creek in my backyard in late december of '09. Finally, I had my proof...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes they do exist, something do do with the way the eggs splits. My cousin killed one 20 years ago that I think turned out to be the Louisiana state record!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I know in NC our tags say antlered or antlerless deer. I figure the existance of antlered does is the reason they don't specify buck or doe.

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Banned
2,992 Posts
If you think about it, it isn't that big of a surprise that it can happen. Caribou females have antlers all the time and are in the same family as whitetail deer (Cervidae). If you go up to the next taxonomic ranking, the order Artiodactyla, it contains the 3 families of ungulates: Bovidae, Cervidae, and pronghorn (the only members of antilocapridae). It turns out females without head gear are the minority! Most bovid females and pronghorn females have horns. For some reason this trait was mostly lost in the Cervids, but not entirely.

It's still really cool and really surprising when you see one (I never have) but it's not that surprising from an evolutionary perspective.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Up here in West Central MN a few years back a guy shot a nice 12 point. Turned out it was a doe. Never heard of that before that happened.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My brother has only killed one deer in his life, and it was an antlered doe. I had only been deer hunting 2 years and it was his first year and we had no idea what we had until it was hanging in the garage and I noticed it's anatomy didn't match what it should have lol. Supposedly it is about a 1 in 100,000 chance in happening.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts