·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
frustrating :thumbs_do

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I don't have that problem, I cut off the head, tail, and legs and arms at elbows and knees. Then I make small slit in the back, grab a side with both hands pulling them away from each other. Works great!! Goodluck

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Try skinning them underwater. We do it in the river but a washtub or anything deep enough would work.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Na, split the skin right in the middle of the backbone and pull both directions and then cut across the belly. Cut around the front and rear 'knee' joints and then the head. Grab the next one, fox squirrels can be a little tougher though. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Na, split the skin right in the middle of the backbone and pull both directions and then cut across the belly. Cut around the front and rear 'knee' joints and then the head. Grab the next one, fox squirrels can be a little tougher though. :thumbs_up
I do it the same way, but the little boogers still get covered in hair. :(

·
Registered
463 Posts
I make a small slit around the top of the tail where it meets the back, I then step on the tail and pull the legs up. If you do still have problems with hair try using a Bic Razor and just shave it under water and that will get rid of any of those single hairs. You can do everything right and still get hair on them. I have done it like the OP above and still get hair on them and thats when I just shave them.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Someone told me recently to wet them before skinning and it helps. Those hairs hang in there like it's their job. I don't care how much water U run over them once it's on there it's stuck, even trying to pull'em off doesn't work LOL.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I don't have that problem, I cut off the head, tail, and legs and arms at elbows and knees. Then I make small slit in the back, grab a side with both hands pulling them away from each other. Works great!! Goodluck
Yep, I do it this way too, no hair at all when I'm done, rabbits I do the same way.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do it that way too, except I cut off everything after I pull the skin back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You tube has a good show how video also.

·
Registered
784 Posts
pull hair around tail,cut tail bone all the way through but leave it attached to the hide of the back,slit it at angles on bothsides put foot on tail most pressure on the hide down from the tail and pull will strip it to the shoulders no hair at all.grandpa taught me when I was a boy

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
pull hair around tail,cut tail bone all the way through but leave it attached to the hide of the back,slit it at angles on bothsides put foot on tail most pressure on the hide down from the tail and pull will strip it to the shoulders no hair at all.grandpa taught me when I was a boy
This is the way I do it also. It will leave a point on the belly side and you just pull it down over the back legs and snip off the legs and head with side cuts.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I put the tree rat into a cooler with ice. Cut around arse and slit back legs. put back feet in a vice and pull real hard. Stop pulling when it gets to the neck. Cut feet and head off, then dress em. About 10 seconds worth of skinning for me this way.

·
Registered
PSE Evoke 35 EC
1,285 Posts
how i do it

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
x2! thats the way I do it.

I also heard a way to skin them by cutting under the tail and skining up the back legs and then stepping on the tail and pulling the rest of the skin and it worked just as good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts