Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really all that interested in learning all the ins and outs of how to balance a bow with stabs, install a rest, sight bar, etc. I prefer to have my local pro shop figure that out for me. Am I alone in this? Seems like most people do their own work. I understand the desire to do that but I don't have time to practice and figure out new things like that.

·
Premium Member
26,855 Posts
I Couldnt depend on the Closest Shop to have a Peep in Stock or Somebody that can fletch arrows to be honest.I Buy online and do my own if i cant i go 45 minutes farther to a Decent shop.Not great but a lot better then the Closest one to me.Wow,Some shops should go bankrupt they would be doing bowhunters a favour and some are amazing.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Vast majority of archers and bowhunters alike depend on their local pro shops .... not everyone has time , skill or desire to play around with tuning . In my knack of woods i'd say 1 out of 100 will know how to properly tune a bow from A to Z , with many more folks limiting themselves to basic stuff like walkback , sight-in etc etc...

ArcheryTalk make seem like everyone does it , but this is The place where folks come to learn exactly that ... kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's what they are there for and that's how they stay in business. So don't be shy about letting them "fix" you up if you don't have time to tinker.

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,496 Posts
I do...shop is close, they're good and I don't have the time or desire to mess with my bows.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have depended on shops for my work in the past. I bought a Strother Infinity and just put new strings on it. The shop set it up to spec but it's not shooting right. It seems these bows need a little tweaking to get them right. My bow shop is 40 miles away so I'm getting a portable bow press and will learn to do it myself. Looking forward to it actually.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
I am fully equiped so I do all my own work. There are some good local shops around here who do a great job but I like the freedom of doing my own bow work.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
..I suppose if you have the money to pay someone else...why not?

..as for me....the money I save doing my own bow setup, tuning, building arrows, etc...is money I can spend on more archery stuff I "need".....

...plus..if I ever had an issue during hunting season..e.g, cut string/cable....no problem..I can do the fix in 10 minutes....

·
The Buck Drops Here
5,925 Posts
I am fully equipped to do my own work. However if I buy a new bow I will have only a certain individual set it up for me. It's a long drive from my house but I trust him to take the time and get the job done right. Plus his tuning is a part of buying a bow so you might as well take advantage of it!

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
I let them do it. I guess I don't even think I have had a bow tuned like it seems some folks do on here. Paper tuning is about all I have ever done and I have never seen a bowshop do anything outside of install peeps, serving, strings etc. I guess I haven't had any issues and I have never thought of walking into a bow shop and telling them to tune my bow. Who knows. The bow shoots great and that is all that matters to me.

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
I love to tune on my own bows. It's not that hard. There is lots of great info here and on other forums. Keep an eye out for deals and slowly equip yourself. I highly recommend starting your own home shop!! Plain fun!

Norm

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Im learning how to do all my own repairs and tuning. To me, its rewarding to be able to tune your own bow. No one treats my bow as well as I do and I like being able to fix things in case of an emergency.

I'd hate to have a ruined hunt because of something simple like a peep coming unserved.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
I let them do it. I guess I don't even think I have had a bow tuned like it seems some folks do on here. Paper tuning is about all I have ever done and I have never seen a bowshop do anything outside of install peeps, serving, strings etc. I guess I haven't had any issues and I have never thought of walking into a bow shop and telling them to tune my bow. Who knows. The bow shoots great and that is all that matters to me.
x2. I'm not mechanically inclined and just get confused easily. I'm amazed at how many posts I see here about doing tuning. I'm really missing the boat apparently!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Shop does mine. I'd love to learn all the ins and outs but I don't really have the time or extra cash laying around to start another hobby.

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
x2. I'm not mechanically inclined and just get confused easily. I'm amazed at how many posts I see here about doing tuning. I'm really missing the boat apparently!
No genius here. Lots of people helped me and I did alot of reding here. You just get a base of knowledge and go from there depending on what you are trying to achieve. I live in Amery Wi. If you ever want to come by, I'd love to do some set ups with you! You'll see, it does not take special powers or magic dust to properly set up a bow! Shoot me a pm if you have interest!

Norm

·
Registered
9,490 Posts

The shop will be working on my bow.

I hardly have the time now to shoot a few arrows in the basement. My gf is already getting on me for not spending enough time with her and it's not even the hunting season yet. I don't have the time or patience to learn another hobby. Just learning how to shoot a now right is enough for me.

I also have so many other hobbies right now I can't pick up another one.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts