Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using my lips and nose as string reference points and anchoring under my chin. Every time I release, one side of my chin gets scraped by the string. What's up with that?

I've seen some competitive shoots where the shooter has some white stuff on their chin in the same place that I get scraped. Is this scraping a form problem?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I haven't got my chin, most of the time I get the end of my nose.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't got my chin, most of the time I get the end of my nose.
I've never gotten my nose smacked. I think it's because I have a small rounder nose and use the very tip of my nose and not the sides. For me it's always a chin scrape or numb lips.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I've never gotten my nose smacked. I think it's because I have a small rounder nose and use the very tip of my nose and not the sides. For me it's always a chin scrape or numb lips.
You might be trying to anchor too deep into your face. I know many observed shooters do that, push the string deep into their chin and nose, but with that anchor, I find the most consistent point to be a hard bone anchor of the index finger along the jaw bone but the string touch lighter. Especially, if you have a pluck going on or poor release, the outboard swing of the string can carry meat with it if the string is coming from being deeply embedded into your chin.

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
M -

Yes I have, and that's why I don't use a side of chin anchor with an Oly recurve. It, like nose strikes usually means that your anchoring too deep (close to your face) or that you're turning your head away from the target. If your head is perfectly square, it makes it really hard to hit anything. Unfortuantely, some of can't rotate our heads far enough to do that. In that case, we really do have to play with the anchor position to get one that's both reproducible and pain free.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
76,684 Posts
:teeth: For a minute there I thought for sure this was gonna be a thread by a guy named Jay.... :grin:

Aloha... :cool::beer:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Never my chin, but have hit my lips! Not sure if it is the string hitting my lips or my fingers hitting them after the string is gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts