Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
For years, I've been wondering if ANYONE else in the WORLD, has a broadhead tuner, like the one my shop uses?
Everyone knows what spin testing broadheads is, of course!
Basically, it looks just like the Apple Arrow Straightener, BUT it also has an attachment that was custom made, which allows you to spin test broadheads on it.
You simply remove one of the sets of "rollers" that normally would support the arrow in TWO places (one on left, and one on right). Then, you put the custom piece on, which basically is designed to accept the tip of a broadhead, and it allows the broadhead to spin freely.
What you are doing, is checking to see if the broadhead is spinning perfectly in line with the arrows axis (lengthwise). IF the broadhead is OUT of tune, and needs a little straightening, then you simply push down on the lever, and straighten the broadhead out (usually an insert is just installed slightly crooked). Sometimes it takes a couple attempts, but we ALWAYS are able to get our broadheads spinning perfectly, and I MEAN perfectly.

ANYHOW, I've always wondered HOW you guys are spin testing your broadheads, with PERFECT accuracy??? I'm not referring to anyone who simply "eyeballs" the alignment, or anyone who simply looks for wobbling, by simply spinning the tip of the head on a table..
I'm looking for those of you, who use a DIAL INDICATOR (like the one described above), or some other precision measuring instrument(s), which get your broadhead spinning DEAD NUTS TRUE. LOL.
Don't get me wrong here guys, I would STILL like to hear how all of you spin test your broadheads, but I just wanted to make clear what I'm looking for, as I've asked this question on other forums, and no one seems to know what I'm talking about, and not many even understand this SIMPLE concept of using a .001" reading dial indicator to check for perfect straightness between arrow and broadhead.
Thanks
Is there ANYONE else on this forum who has a similar tool, using a similar method as us????
VERY eager to hear back, and I'm VERY eager to know if there happens to be an arrow straightener on the market, which ALREADY has this feature on it..????

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like a great tool, could really use somthing like this. If nobody makes them you oughta give making them a thought.:secret:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I have thought about making them many times. Really though, there is not that much to them (minor machining), and it's not really much of a profit potential.
Yes, a little $$ could be made, but nothing worth jumping all over.
I'm just curious as to HOW you guys spin test your broadheads correctly? I see NO other way to spin test broadheads, and get them DEAD-ON. There just isn't ANY other way to PROPERLY do it...

·
Registered
389 Posts
basically, I do two methods, spin the arrow like a top, and use four nails in a board, I think I saw this in the book Idiot proof archery. seems to work pretty good.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Criss cross apple sauce. Make an X with the nails.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I always use an indicator to check my broadhead alignment. I just use a couple of V-blocks with and indicator on a mag base. Since I am a machinist I have all these tools.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Re: Broadhead Tuning

I built a spine tester with wood, sealed bearings (for rollers) on each side, and a dial meter (for machinist). It works pretty good for homemade.

After spinning the arrow with the broadhead it seems to spin pretty true.

Here is my question: If i use straight fletching instead of right or left helical, would it matter much if the broadhead doesn't spin 100% true? I figure since the arrow doesn't spin like using a helical fletch it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Am i somewhat correct?

Your insight and knowledge would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
ciscokid said:
I built a spine tester with wood, sealed bearings (for rollers) on each side, and a dial meter (for machinist). It works pretty good for homemade.

After spinning the arrow with the broadhead it seems to spin pretty true.

Here is my question: If i use straight fletching instead of right or left helical, would it matter much if the broadhead doesn't spin 100% true? I figure since the arrow doesn't spin like using a helical fletch it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Am i somewhat correct?

Your insight and knowledge would be helpful.

Hello, Remember that the vanes do steer the arrow, as a Bh will compete for flight control over the vanes....Using a straight fletch is not recommended for fixed blade Bh shooting...use at least an offset of 1-3 degrees...or a helical. Your straight fletch will not control the arrow as well as an offset/helical....if your bh is out of align a bit...you could experience veering off or unstable accuracy. FPS also comes into play when shooting Bh's. As once you get to 260+ fps most Bh's become harder to stabilize. Every setup is different..bow/arrow/bh/fps/shooter/etc. You possibly could get away with straight fletch...BUT getting the arrow to spin will be better for overall accuracy and consistancy...especially when a cross wind comes into play also.

Dave

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Paul Cataldo said:
Guys,
For years, I've been wondering if ANYONE else in the WORLD, has a broadhead tuner, like the one my shop uses?
Everyone knows what spin testing broadheads is, of course!
Basically, it looks just like the Apple Arrow Straightener, BUT it also has an attachment that was custom made, which allows you to spin test broadheads on it.
You simply remove one of the sets of "rollers" that normally would support the arrow in TWO places (one on left, and one on right). Then, you put the custom piece on, which basically is designed to accept the tip of a broadhead, and it allows the broadhead to spin freely.
What you are doing, is checking to see if the broadhead is spinning perfectly in line with the arrows axis (lengthwise). IF the broadhead is OUT of tune, and needs a little straightening, then you simply push down on the lever, and straighten the broadhead out (usually an insert is just installed slightly crooked). Sometimes it takes a couple attempts, but we ALWAYS are able to get our broadheads spinning perfectly, and I MEAN perfectly.

ANYHOW, I've always wondered HOW you guys are spin testing your broadheads, with PERFECT accuracy??? I'm not referring to anyone who simply "eyeballs" the alignment, or anyone who simply looks for wobbling, by simply spinning the tip of the head on a table..
I'm looking for those of you, who use a DIAL INDICATOR (like the one described above), or some other precision measuring instrument(s), which get your broadhead spinning DEAD NUTS TRUE. LOL.
Don't get me wrong here guys, I would STILL like to hear how all of you spin test your broadheads, but I just wanted to make clear what I'm looking for, as I've asked this question on other forums, and no one seems to know what I'm talking about, and not many even understand this SIMPLE concept of using a .001" reading dial indicator to check for perfect straightness between arrow and broadhead.
Thanks
Is there ANYONE else on this forum who has a similar tool, using a similar method as us????
VERY eager to hear back, and I'm VERY eager to know if there happens to be an arrow straightener on the market, which ALREADY has this feature on it..????

Hello,

YES! I have been using an Arrow/Roller/Straightner/Dial Indicator for approx. the past 10 years or so. I have one made by Apple Archery Products.

I ALWAYS get my BH to shaft alignment to .001 at best. I use Easton XX-78 2413's with Wasp SST Hammer 125 gr. BH's. I do not have a custom BH adapter, as the Stainless Steel WASP Chisle Tip Rolls just fine on the 2 ball bearings. I also fletch my arrows, So I do get the best accuracy out of each arrow. Another great investment was the G-5 ASD for my arrows. Now I am sure to get perfectly squared flush arrow ends for nock insert and point inserts. It is a lot of fun building my own arrows from shafts and they fly awesome.

Glad to share my info with you and AT. Looks like we are the only 2 out there with similar systems! Is yours an Apple Product?

I will post a pic. of mine tomorrow.

Best, Dave

·
Thunder Chicken Assassin
1,675 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Fobs

I have been shooting FOBS from Starrflight.com for about 3+ years with muzzy 90 4 blades. Set my arrows level with the string and use a center shot to set center, walk back tune and I am done. I practice at 80 yds with them shooting 306-320 fps over the years with AWESOME RESULTS!! Go to the website and read the testimonials.:darkbeer: :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts