Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting one of these to cut out my spinners my self. I believe I'll need to upgrade the router part but before I layout the money I was just wondering if anyone else has one of these?
It also looks like at 30" x 30" I could probably route out a bow riser with the larger model... What do you guys think? If you have another source for a home CNC router I would love to have some choices.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve

Attachments

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
too funny, i just put in a purchase request for one today. Some youtube videos on it, but that's all I know! I'll let ya know if my request goes through!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
www.neo7cnc.com has lots of info on DIY CNC machines.
Ha that's where I found the X-Carve he did a review on the X-carves predecessor.
He builds them from scratch and I like his stuff but I'm more interested in getting a full working version that I can use to play with after I'm comfortable with the technology I suspect I'll build one but for now I want an off the shelf solution.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did it, I sprung for one. When it comes in I'll try and do some videos of it in action.

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
Well I did it, I sprung for one. When it comes in I'll try and do some videos of it in action.
I think my request got approved as well! We will have to compare notes!
First thoughts,
1. I think this is sort of the second version. They make a smaller earlier version that you can upgrade to the xcarve. So I'm thinking they got one under their belt so might have some kinks worked out.
2. Be interesting to see how easy it will be to get files into it from a 3d cad program like solid works. I think it does SVG so might be straightforward.

Looks like they just started shipping, and they have a big back log of orders to fill. Might be a bit of a wait to get one?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya they said it was 3 to 5 weeks for shipping.
I didn't spring for the cutting software I wanted to try their free web based version before I spent money on any software.
I would also like to look at the open source community too. This is the one area I'm not all that versed in. I have a lot of software experience just not in the 3D modeling area.

I did a lot of looking around and they just really seemed to have their act together and the pricing was very competitive. I didn't find anything cheaper and I found a lot of machines that were smaller and more expensive. My only real concern is that it just won't be accurate enough to do what I want it to do.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Is there a reason you don't want to 3D print them? Build up instead of tear down?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a reason you don't want to 3D print them? Build up instead of tear down?
I have a friend who has a 3D printer I should have him print one out and price it for me. Not sure what the material costs are for one so can't say for sure. I know the material for the plywood is around $1.65 give or take, so it would need to be cheaper than that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a friend who has a 3D printer I should have him print one out and price it for me. Not sure what the material costs are for one so can't say for sure. I know the material for the plywood is around $1.65 give or take, so it would need to be cheaper than that.
we have a 3D printer at work. no way would it be less than that. 3D printed things are amazing in that they are fast, but they're very expensive. Prices have come down a lot over time, but no where near $1.65 I gotta think

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's kinda what I thought, I see 3D printing as a excellent solution for people to build their own parts. I would think they are invaluable for doing prototyping as well. This is the teir current niche and not really mass production manufacture for profit. But... as media prices drop and machine prices drop that certainly may change. I expect I'll end up with a 3D printer too, but one thing at a time.

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
we have a 3D printer at work. no way would it be less than that. 3D printed things are amazing in that they are fast, but they're very expensive. Prices have come down a lot over time, but no where near $1.65 I gotta think
I've been 3d printing for about 10 years. machine cost have come down on desktop models but the consumables have stayed the same. my cost on plastic is about $5.00 a cubic inch for a professional level machine.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I build one myself. Very nice machine to have it. I hope one day I will try to engrave my sight tape on some metal.
Hey that's a great idea! even plastic would be better then the paper...

·
Registered
574 Posts
TAG for latter.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you have any questions as far as CAD/CAM goes I'd be happy to help out. About 90% of the frustrations that come with CNC machines is self inflicted, not the machine; not always but typically. You're opening yourself up to a very busy lifestyle if you let it mind you, you will find thousands of uses for this and so will your buddies.... Also, learn as much as you can about programming, reading programming, etc.... You will need it. Have fun with the machine and be innovative!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you have any questions as far as CAD/CAM goes I'd be happy to help out. About 90% of the frustrations that come with CNC machines is self inflicted, not the machine; not always but typically. You're opening yourself up to a very busy lifestyle if you let it mind you, you will find thousands of uses for this and so will your buddies.... Also, learn as much as you can about programming, reading programming, etc.... You will need it. Have fun with the machine and be innovative!
I'm sure I will shoot my self in the foot repeatedly especially for the first couple of months.
Thanks for the offer of help, that too may have been a mistake on your part. :icon_1_lol:

Are you using the Mach3 or 4 software or do you use some other software?
:wav:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use Mach3 and SheetCam for the tables, both are very hard to beat, especially for the price.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK here is an update...
The X-Carve machine came in and 2 of my good friends came over and helped me put it together. Well except for the missing parts which were shipped later. I finally got it completed. I only crossed a couple of wires in the process. If anyone else gets one of these follow the instructions closely there is definitely a proper order. I had to tear it apart several times to get it completely put together correctly. I used the free inventables software called Easel to do my first project. "Bow_Bender" wouldn't fit on my piece of scrap PVC plastic so I shortened it a bit. I also managed to break off one of the sample bits when the Z axis stopped working half way through because the stepper motor pulley loosened up. Aw well the 2nd time was the charm. (yes I know it is crooked on there but I was really only interested in knowing if the machine was working) so I'll take it. I now have to get the spinner drawings imported and tested to see how long it will take to cut them. My first impression is that this is TOTALLY COOOOOL!

Oh Ya, I also video taped it (including the bit breaking) so I will likely be posting that to youtube possibly tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts