Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want these for two reasons.

1. I'd rather not wear two pairs of socks, especially in temps above 80 degrees.
2. I'd like socks with bottoms that are thicker so if I must remove my boots for a better stalk I have some padding.

I'm sure some of you western desert hunters understand.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I live in Florida . I was researching this cuz we have a lease thats all mud. I use rubber uninsulated boots but when its real hot. I use rocky light boots. Undrt armour thin socks and "turtle skin" gaiters for snakes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Last year I bought some Adidas light weight ventilated socks for hot summer hunting. They are very thin and have a loose weave, so they ventilate well. They really are good socks to keep your feet cool and they are not terribly thin. About $14 for 3 pairs at Sports Authority. Come in white or black. My .02.

·
Smooth Is Fast
3,573 Posts
Last year, I used Cabelas (cool max) socks. They seemed to work pretty good for warm weather hunting.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Get some med merino wool blend socks, they do well down to teens if moving and are comfortable to around 80 in my experience.

If you are sitting then just 1 sock will not work in swings from 20 -80 but the med will do fine from 40-80.

·
Registered
298 Posts
bass pro lifetime warranty socks cost 9.99 gotta take a look at them says red head on them thick keeps moisture away very thick and comfortable

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
I use Darn Tough socks in hot weather. They are Merino Wool, so they don't get hot and wick away moisture well.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
bass pro lifetime warranty socks cost 9.99 gotta take a look at them says red head on them thick keeps moisture away very thick and comfortable
I too use these, very thick and lots of cushion.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Oh YA!

For that Bruce your best bet is probably a "hiker weight" sock. A merino wool/polypro/lycra blend sock 70/30/20 They are form fitting but wick moisture really well.

I have some "danner" hikers that are great in really hot weather. I used them last year in eastern OR where temps were in the mid 80s to lo 90's, feet were ok in them. If in a "boots off western beast mode" I have used some cheap thick polypro/wool blend socks. Cool Max are pretty good too, but for me it was hard to find them tall enough as I like a mid or tall calf sock.

In the DEZ environ, I myself would NEVER go without some sort of soled shoe, be it even an aqua-sock or something like that people use for river swimming and such. They are light have a bit more protection than just another sock and are less likely to snag on something and pick up some thing to cause noise.

I tried that "boots off beast mode ONCE in AZ" when hunting javelina and that lasted about 50 yards! WAY to many pokie,sticki,ouchies for my NW tenderfeet to deal with. I may live near Eugene but Im wayyyyyyyy too much of a tenderfoot to be a hippie-black-footer and get callused up soles.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah ya have. Been to those foot abusing neighborhoods myself. In some of them taking your boots off is like asking for pain. But in other areas (like outside Vegas) it is less of an issue. Arizona can be a brutal place to hunt, everything bites, stings, cuts or pokes holes in ya. Maybe that's why so few "celebrity hunters" film there. ROTF!!! I have long been wearing the 70/30/20 socks and was thinking maybe there was something better out now. Thanks for the great reply tenderfoot. If i'm not drawn in AZ or NV and cannot get an OTC tag in UT...I may venture back to OR to take another stab at the elk there. Bow hunting isn't a sport in Oregon...it's a sacred religion.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Look up point 6 and darn tough. Maybe even smart wool if you want. Look at their summer hiking socks. They're awesome!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Merino wool is the ticket! I wear them every day all year. Just make sure what brand you buy that they have atleast 65% Merino. The coolmax and synthetis make my feet sweat like crazy! Merino = Happy feet!

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
Have any of you hunted the desert in 90+ degree heat?
Nope, but chased antelope all day on the plains in 100 degree heat. And I wore my usual.......liner sock, merino wool boot sock, and 800gr Thinsulate hunting boots. No problem.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I want these for two reasons.

1. I'd rather not wear two pairs of socks, especially in temps above 80 degrees.
2. I'd like socks with bottoms that are thicker so if I must remove my boots for a better stalk I have some padding.

I'm sure some of you western desert hunters understand.
Personally I would use whatever socks you like in the boots and have some thick socks in your pocket that you can put on if you decide to take off your boots for some silent stalking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts