Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post on a thread somewhere about using a set of bucksteps and a hangon stand for their treestand. I believe they were carrying these with them and setting them up when they go to hunt, instead of using a climber. I am just wondering if this would be a viable alternative to a climber. I could see some advantages to this, including the ability to use trees that are inaccessable to a climber.
I was just wondering if anyone here does anything like this? Or if this idea is either too time consuming or too loud? If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it. Season is getting closer, and I am getting anxious about getting a stand.

Thanks for any feedback...

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is plenty of country that is not climber accessible. Therefore you need to adapt, as deer do. A good set of climbing sticks and a quiet stand are essential. The Lone Wolf setup (stand and sticks) are as quiet as a climber...they just take a little bit longer to set up. Summit has a new EZ hang loc-on that is supposed to be good, but I have never used it so I cannot offer my opinion. I can say that I like the summit bucksteps. It is just like shooting your bow...to be good, you have to practice...Practice hanging your stand...get good at it...go shoot a monster! Good Luck

·
Registered
468 Posts
i have an old loc-on model lock on tree stand :tongue:,,i bought it on my way back from vacation at myrtle beach at a flea market in s.c. for 15 dollars and it came wit a 3,,four ft climbing sticks, it only takes about 5 min tops to set up and is very safe and pretty light and easy to pack in...also id say teh screw in steps wit a light weight lock on would be ok but id say only use prolly 6 or 7 screw in steps that way you can get up there quick and get down n out quick...just my thoughts..

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
When I first started hunting I used a Loc On strap on treestand and I used strap on tree steps. As said by someone else the whole process might take 5 minutes. Wrap the strap around the tree, hook, pull tight, repeat. With 7 steps spaced a decent, yet safe distance apart I coul dget 15' up in a tree in no time.

Now, most of my stands are already in place and I use a climber for the on the go hunting, but I just may be doing it the "old way" this year cause I know of a few honey holes where climbers won't work and I don't have stands hung there.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can save some money if you already have a climber. Just use the bottom portion of your climber with your steps. Just make sure you take a rachet strap with you to secure the stand. You can either stand the whole time or take a small strap on seat with you.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I use this system all the time. My favorite stand type for this is a "bracket"
type stand. I have a bear river Myles Keller(discont.), a Summit headhunter
lite and copperhead X5, and a couple of Chippewas. All are superb for this type hunting. I prefer Lone Wolf sticks to buck steps because you can climb higher with fewer sticks, although buck steps have two foot supports at each
height for standing and hanging stands. With the bracket stands, however, I
can be hunting in 7 or 8 min. quietly. I also use other brands of stands with good results, just not as easily as the "bracket" type. Gorilla stands hang easily ime. Just be sure and use a linemans harness for hands-free safety
while you work at haning stands no matter what type you have.
Good Luck and be safe. :shade:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts