Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see articles about calling in Whitetails, but not so much with Mule Deer. Does anyone use calls for Mule Deer? Do you use the same tactics as for Whitetails?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
iv heard of people rattling but i dont know about the grunting .iv heard them make a grunt but its not like whitetail .

·
Registered
396 Posts
a lot of people hunt mule deer without the use of calls.

largely because i don't think they are very vocal.

i personally don't use them. there's a shortage of places that calling might work. too open here in wyoming.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yes calls do work for Mule deer but not the same as they do for WT deer. I use a true talker grunt call (don't press on the reed at all), Deer talk stopper call (works all season to get them to stop or come a little closer), and rattling (don't be too aggressive).

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I haven't used a call for mulies but I watched a big buck run off two smaller bucks from his doe and it was the first time I had ever heard the snort weez. I was totally amazed because I had never even heard of the snort weez at that time. So I guess it would work. I spot and stalk usually for mulies and have only grunted to stop them.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I sure rattling would work a little but i have always stuck to spot and stock method. I am going to try to set my ground blind in some areas I know they use for travel routes next time I draw my tag.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
a lot of people hunt mule deer without the use of calls.

largely because i don't think they are very vocal.

i personally don't use them. there's a shortage of places that calling might work. too open here in wyoming.
i concur as i hunt open country in NM. however just the other day i was having a conversation with a guy that does use a doe bleet/fawn type call and he was telling me that he has had a few mulies come in on a rope using this call during the rut so it has peaked my interest.

on another note, i have never heard mule deer being vocal but i have seen them stomp there foot at me on more occassions than i care to remember. and you can guess what happens next. and its not an arrow going in his direction either

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i've had does come in running to both a dying rabbit call and fawn distress call.
I tried the fawn distress when i knew there were bucks nearby buy never got any interest.
next tag i draw i'm gonna try some rattling, when i'm hunting in lower elevations, i've heard it works

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've not heard mulies be vocal too often.
but during rut times, I've heard bucks go by me with soft grunting and emitting sounds similar to fawn-doe bleats.

I shot a 4x5 muley buck one year in the Okanogan by hearing the buck's bleating noises as he came out of the timber onto the open ridge. But this was a special November draw tag with the hunt in the rut period.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I called in a mule deer buck one time with a varmit call. It would have been Dec or maybe Nov and he came runnin from a long way off, tongue hangin' out, he stopped less then 2 yards from me.

Called in a group of muley does with a does bleat call. They all came within bow range, but there wasn't a buck with them.

There's been a few times that I've heard a muley buck grunt. They were always following does and sounded just like a whitetail.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have used a varmit call and the Deer Talker used like a varmit call with great success. In one weekend I called in over 100 mulies, does and bucks, and literally had them kick gravel on me from running so close. i called one average buck 3 times in one afternoon, but could never get a clean shot. i have not called in any big bucks, they will stand and look and move off, but the does and young bucks will come in on a dead run. I believe that these calls mimick a distress call and that is the reason they come running. I believe that used in rugged canyon country and with a muzzleloader or rifle, it would be deadly on big bucks. i have done this on public and private land in TX and NM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts