Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying bow with 60# limbs. Bow maxes out at 63# with 29 inch draw. If I change draw length to 26 inches will it change poundage?

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
3,586 Posts
both my bows (see signature)when I have changed dl the poundage has not changed. But those are bows where you do not change the mods/cams...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Some PSE have a grow with you thingy on the cams as you lengthen DL the DW goes up but that's the exception rather than the rule. That said somethings MAY fiddling in a bit with string twists if your really really analy retentive

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,712 Posts
Some of your cheaper entry level bows, particularly those with dual cams and are highly adjustable (lower end Missions, Diamond Infinite Edge, Hoyt Ignite/Klash, etc.) will change draw weight when you change draw length. I've even seen the cam sync change when changing draw length because of the poor quality of the strings as well as just how the cams are designed.

·
Socket Man
23,113 Posts
Well, it doesn't matter. The fact that you are looking at buying a bow that has 60 lb limbs and it is maxing out at 63 means the cables are over twisted and causing the poundage to be up that high. You have the ability to pick the max poundage for your bow and twist the cables and bow string to get that exact setting with the limbs bottomed out. With my 60 lb competition target bow I have went from 58 to 63 pounds as my max poundage.

If you are a guy that has no intentions of tuning and you are just expecting the bow to stay the same it isn't going to do that, as you shoot the string set is going to stretch and you draw length will lengthen and the poundage will change. This is why I learned how to twist my bow back to my standard setting as the months go by during heavy competition to keep my bow the same.

·
Socket Man
23,113 Posts
Little trips to the bow shop every couple months letting them check the poundage and the cam sync at full draw and your draw length is a easy way to keep the bow the same all year round, it usually only takes a couple half twists to keep a bow spot on. But if you let a year or two on a string set go by it can be totally different than when you started out.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The bow changing weight with a draw length change depends on how you are making the change. Are you changing modules, rotating the module like on a PSE or by taking twist out of the cable? If the first two choices then no the weight will not change, but if you are short stringing or taking twist out of the cables, then yes the draw weight will change.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It will change the draw weight power curve.
Peak weight will nove forward 3”

and it can make it feel heavy as it hits sooner.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
No.

Your perception of the weight you're pulling might, however.

Increase your draw length and it may feel heavier because it takes longer to roll the cam over. Likewise, decrease the length and it may feel lighter because you're rolling over the peak of the draw cycle sooner than you're used to.

But 70# is 70# regardless of the draw length.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,348 Posts
I am looking at buying bow with 60# limbs. Bow maxes out at 63# with 29 inch draw. If I change draw length to 26 inches will it change poundage?
For the most part, no draw weight won't change. Like already noted your perception of the draw will make you wonder.

As for the 60 max and drawing 63 pounds, ata determines draw weight. So check ata, if short then cables have been twisted up. Rule is +/- 3/16" for ata. Okay, bow with ata of 30" and checks 29 13/16" to have sticker max draw weight and you're good to go. If 30 3/16" and max listed draw weight you're good to go.........

Good set of strings will hold well for several thousand shots. I've went a year of heavy shooting and no adjustments needed - so 15,000 shots.

·
Registered
49,182 Posts
Like the others said no, nothing you will ever notice, in vast majority of cases. Some youth growth bows yes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts