Archery Talk Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,445 Posts
There's failure points on any drop away rest. Heck there's failure points all over any compound bow. If we're all going to make arguments on stuff that goes wrong out in the field, everyone might as well go back to a one piece longbow or recurve and shooting off the shelf. Oh no we can't have that, your string may break.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
FDale, funny you should mention the Muzzy Zero Effect. I still am using one of those on my Hoyt and it is truly about as foolproof as any drop away rest could ever be. The only way it could fail is if the cable broke, but then your bow wouldn't function anyway. I always serve the cable where the rod attaches before I set it up, and it has survived several string/cable updates.
I said once I tried the ZE I would never change as long as it worked in the current bows. Then when bows became too parallel I switched to the original Limbdriver. It’s been flawless too but has far great potential than the ZE for failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,718 Posts
He'll shoot a flipper rest if they pay him more than anyone else does. Dud has quickly become the biggest shill in archery.

Sadly this is 100% true. But bottomline, this is his vocation, to earn a living for his family thru archery. He has no choice if he is going to do this.

I feel since PSE has the QAD intergrate thru QAD and not Hamskea, Dudley has no choice,if he wants to remain with PSE and the sweet deal he has with them.

It's no big deal. I'm sure Dudley behind the scenes is trying to get an intergrate thru whoever it is he uses for a rest, Hamskea ? I don't know. I never placed a ton of stock into what Dudley says. He's a 50/50 with me. Starting with Rage.....those shooting pants with a quiver built in, and a couple other things he has rebadged with Nock On to it's label. Nock On isn't a product. It's a label placed OVER the name of a product.

He does a great job teaching and instructing. I think that is his strong point. He also does very good reviews on bows when they are introduced. He's a super great shot as well. Those are the 50% I place stock in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just for kicks I went and looked, he hasn’t deleted all of his old podcasts where those comments are. Yet, lol…. I hope he doesn’t, there was a lot of great archery info in those early podcasts that guys might find helpful. I know I did, back before it became the podcast it is today. I’m not judging his current podcast format, it just isn’t my thing. I like the tech talk on shooting, gear, and hunting tactics that his podcast used to be.

D
Are there any of those podcasts in particular that you’d recommend to a new(ish) archer? I’ve liked the Nock On videos, but get the strong feeling that there’s a lot of sponsorship at play. I haven’t been shooting regularly for the last 20 years. I feel like I have to sift through good info mixed in with “let me show you this AMAZING new product.” It’s not quite Billy Mays, but…🤷‍♂️

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,718 Posts
Are there any of those podcasts in particular that you’d recommend to a new(ish) archer? I’ve liked the Nock On videos, but get the strong feeling that there’s a lot of sponsorship at play. I haven’t been shooting regularly for the last 20 years. I feel like I have to sift through good info mixed in with “let me show you this AMAZING new product.” It’s not quite Billy Mays, but…🤷‍♂️

Dudley i great. But I really prefer Levi Morgan videos to pick up a pointer here and there about practically anything. Dude is a GOAT and super easy to explain everything.

Reactions: zekezoe

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Is this QAD hate or Dud hate? Poor guy back peddles a bit and next thing you know he is being drawn and quartered. I have used a QAD a stones throw away from the Arctic circle down to Mexico and everywhere in between with no trouble. I am sure Dudley will be just fine.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Are there any of those podcasts in particular that you’d recommend to a new(ish) archer? I’ve liked the Nock On videos, but get the strong feeling that there’s a lot of sponsorship at play. I haven’t been shooting regularly for the last 20 years. I feel like I have to sift through good info mixed in with “let me show you this AMAZING new product.” It’s not quite Billy Mays, but…
Start at the beginning. The early podcast are where most of technical info is. Also check his YouTube videos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Why wouldn’t he. Best rest made. And I’ve been around the block trying to prove that to be false. I’m back to 3 qads on my bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive been going back and forth between hamskea and qad the past couple years and overall Im finding the qad to be more forgiving.

·
Registered
Hoyt Carbon Matrix
30 Posts
DARN! I had a hoyt and had aae everything on it. Just bought the electric bike, I have a signed traeger grill by him and a huge banner over my bed....Now I gotta change everything to PSE and QAD...it is so hard to mimic celebs anymore :(
Lol that’s why I stopped listening to his podcast. He started out as a great resource for info and quickly went to seeking things. Still have my nock on life insurance though!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
There are lots of guys using QAD rests. Is Levi Morgan also a sell out? If one of the two biggest companies in rests, and the only one with the integrated mount option, wants to slap the Nock On logo on there and give him a cut, I can't hate on that. The guy could shoot with any rest and still be a great archer. I'm not sure I get the outrage over it. He still sells AAE rests on his website so maybe he's marketing both now.

At this point, every archery hunter trying to make a living at this needs to be a marketing machine because it's a niche industry, and they are all slapping logos on products and selling them. From ElkShape, Whitetail Fit, Chris Bee, Bowman, Levi, etc... they are all doing it. John just happens to be one of the most popular names doing it so I guess that means he's the biggest target for the hate.

If the products he used were complete and total crap, I could maybe understand the integrity angle. But we're talking PSE, QAD, AAE, Easton, Spot Hogg, Ultraview, Carter, Morrell... these are some of the best companies in the sport.

Reactions: crazyasian

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The first 80-90. Just start at the beginning and work through. Tons of great info. Keep in mind it’s just one opinion and his methods aren’t the only way. I’d argue some of them aren’t the best ways. But, there’s no denying a lot of his methods work and have been instrumental in many, many archers dramatically improving. I count myself among them. While I didn’t buy into everything (walk back tuning, such strictness about his particular definition of good form, using the brands or products he used, etc), I learned a tremendous amount that catapulted me to new places as an archer. I listened to a lot of other people too trying to compare their opinions and views and try things myself to see what worked for me. Between NockON, BJM, CAM, and Kifaru there’s a heck of an archery education awaiting anyone that takes the time to listen, learn, and try.

D

81 - 95 of 95 Posts