Votes: 37 35.6%
  • nope not at all

Votes: 2 1.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does having a speed bow help you in 3d.... defend your vote!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Yes, it does if you can't judge yardage very accurately.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Not at all, still a human doing the shooting so errors can still happen. Coming from a proud X-Force owner!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
It can IF the shooter can handle the "speed" and IF it is an unmarked course. If he cant handle it OR it is a marked course then NO speed does nothing in a 3D shoot. I say nothing but some moderate speed can help in real windy conditions.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I shoot ASA so it's not as important to us as long as you can get the legal speed, but I know for the short draw's and the ladies that have a hard time getting the full 280 it does make a difference. If your shooting at a low 12 at 40 yards or better 10-15 fps will make a difference if your yardage isn't perfect. 4-5 fps? no. 12-15 or better? definitely.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
Speed can't overcome bad shooting but if a person can shoot with consistent and dependable form then speed will help cover his yardages better. I believe it is an advantage. Is height an advantage in basketball? It can be.
Not everyone will benefit from speed. The one's who shoot well can benefit from a faster bow. To other's speed doesn't make any difference in their scores. If you can't shoot very well then no amount of speed will compensate for that. I vote for speed

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I think 3Ding is the only place speed matters!!! help shoot flatter and alittle more forgiving on mis-guesstaments!!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have a tough time w/ yardage uphill and downhill. I usually don't miss right-left by much. I do miss hi-lo and shooting for the wrong spot (not serious enough to use binoculars much and don't have every target memorized).

When I switched from a single cam to a much faster bow my scores went way up.

Yes, speed helped me for sure.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
No doubt about it.....just as long as you are a very accurate shooter to begin with....helps to minimize low misses. Without accuracy, speed is useless....:D

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Speed can only help if you miss judge by a small amount. That being said I think that if two bows have similar specs go with the faster bow (if it feels good to you). I have a S4 mag and a S4 elite the mag is about 20 fps faster than the elite so I will be shooting the mag for unmarked an the elite for marked.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
i dont know why it wouldnt. it will always help in 3d if you are bad at judgeing yardage. maybe not 5fps but 20fps will make a difference.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Generally a faster bow is less forgiving, shorter brace height.
Look at the pros they shoot around 300 fps for a reason.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Nope. For speed to help out in 3D would require a bow that would probably be declared illegal by just about every governing body out there.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
Does speed help? That's a very broad question, as "speed" or "fast" isn't defined. What is fast, is 280 fps or 300 fps fast? They are both "fast" or "slow" relative to the environment. 280 fps would be smoking at 45 lbs and 25" draw with 5 grains per pound. A bow that is IBO rated at 300 fps is considered slow.

I have a short draw and my "3D" Cougar has to be "right" to get it in the 280's. This same bow I've used at Lancaster in '07 and '08 so it's also a "spot" bow. It's shot many 58+ X's over the last couple of years. This bow is accurate and I shoot it well. But if I could get it to 300+ fps for IBO shoots I could and would use the 20 fps, I'm sure I would score higher!! I've shot with guys that were shooting 305+ fps from the same stake as I. 20 fps difference is significant.

Many top ASA shooters have IBO bows or set ups that go 300+ fps. They wouldn't be going faster for IBO than ASA if it didn't help them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts