Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear so much on here and other site's about people testing with a chrony. Usually, my first question is, "Why?" I mean, my 45 lb. bow, shoot's an arrow at what I would assume is a slow speed. I can watch the ark from 30 yards, and it just isn't as fast as I've seen other bows shoot. But I'm not about to go lay down the dough on a chrony just so I have the "closure" of knowing what the EXACT speed is. I'm just trying to get it. If my bow can shoot an arrow through a bale of hay, isn't that fast enough?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Usually, my first question is, "Why?"
Same reason I wanna know what kind of gas mileage I'm actually getting in my SUV. So when someone asks.....I can speak, intelligently.

Buying a chrono to check your bow's speed is like buying a Stopwatch to check your time in the 40. In both instances the info. gleaned isn't worth the investment....but if the "other guy" has the goods.....and you're interested.....fire away or lace 'em up.

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Accuracy matters for target, accuracy matters for hunting. When the NHRA sets up an arrow category, speed will matter... :grin:

Aloha...:cool: :beer:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I don't think it matters what the speed actually is but knowing speed can help you make decisions about other aspects of your setup.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Speed also relates to KE. You take a 500 grain arrow & shoot it at 220 FPS then shoot it at 300 FPS. The 220 FPS arrow has 54 ft-lbs of Energy. The same 500 grain arrow fired at 300 FPS has 100 ft-lbs of Energy.

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Speed also relates to KE. You take a 500 grain arrow & shoot it at 220 FPS then shoot it at 300 FPS. The 220 FPS arrow has 54 ft-lbs of Energy. The same 500 grain arrow fired at 300 FPS has 100 ft-lbs of Energy.
With an airplane, it takes 4 times the horsepower/thrust to double the speed at a particular altitude.

You don't take a 500 grain arrow and accelerate it 80fps without some other cost/significant increase in energy/power.

weight/grains 500
speed 300
KE 99.9466951
momentum 0.669642857

weight/grains 500
speed 220
KE 53.74911158
momentum 0.491071429

·
Registered
754 Posts
Your 45 lb. bow is fine, you will be limited on how far you need to shoot a deer for a clean kill, I think you will be good out to 30 yards.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
I like a faster bow. It helps with long range targets and wing shooting- two things I enjoy personally. It also seems to help put my mind at ease. For example. Say I have two bows: one is shooting 140 fps, the other is shooting 165 fps- both have the same weight and shooting characterisistics, as well as arrow weight. I'm going to be much more able to focus on the target with bow B because I know the bow is doing it's job well. But with bow A my mind, I don't know, becomes impatient.

I've shot some really slow bows before, and each time my shooting quickly went to the dogs because I simply wasn't enjoying myself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I hear so much on here and other site's about people testing with a chrony. Usually, my first question is, "Why?"
In my case, for curiosity's sake. Since I have a low (42#) weight-rated bow, but draw three inches longer than the 28" rating, I was curious.

If I had a bow scale, I would have measured my actual draw weight and been satisfied to know that.

I already had a chronograph, so it was no big deal to set it up and measure my arrow speed instead. I also had an electronic grain weight scale, so it was easy to weigh my arrow and find out how much energy I was delivering.

I still don't know how much weight I'm actually drawing, but I know my arrows arrive with plenty of KE to deal with any game I'm likely to hunt. That satisfied my curiosity.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
For me it matters...not so much for the speed but to know what my differant bows shoot.I shoot differant poundage bows but I want them all to shoot at the same(or close) speed...that's what my mind wants to see. So I play with arrow weight to get the desired results off all my bows

·
Registered
10 Posts
When something is on the move

I hear so much on here and other site's about people testing with a chrony. Usually, my first question is, "Why?" I mean, my 45 lb. bow, shoot's an arrow at what I would assume is a slow speed. I can watch the ark from 30 yards, and it just isn't as fast as I've seen other bows shoot. But I'm not about to go lay down the dough on a chrony just so I have the "closure" of knowing what the EXACT speed is. I'm just trying to get it. If my bow can shoot an arrow through a bale of hay, isn't that fast enough?
When I (my dogs) have had a mean old bear bayed up or on the wood it has alway been very important to me that I have that one single advantage of speed on my side when it comes to that extra value of little bit of much needed speed versus the loss of game or a possible circumstances that could end up even worse. There is always more than one reason and individual may and should consider in obtaining their proper equipment.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well I use a crony all the time.It is very usefull when you are building bows,tuning ect.I like fast bows and tune everything from the fastest carbon limbed bow to a selfbow to get the most I can from them.A crony tells me what I get for a change in arrow weight and what a good string does for an average bow.Given the choice between fast or slow with the same shooting manners I will take fast everytime.:zip:

Now as far as speed matters for my hunting goes.It is no biggie in most cases.I can kill a deer with a 140fps bow just as well as with a 200fps bow.I just got to setup to do it a little closer with the slower bow when hanging stands or take a couple more steps closer when stalking.No problem and both slow and fast do there job just fine if I do mine.:)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I just assumed that if you had sharp enough broadheads, and could put the shot where it needed to be, than so long as you were in the effective range, it wouldn't matter. Does that make sense? I mean, my bow is pretty decent speed wise out to 30/40 yards. So if I put an arrow right there, even though I would bet it's not shooting 200 fps (prolly more like 140ish 150ish) it should blow through a deer. That's just the way I'm thinking here.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Don't buy a chronograph. It's only a number to compare.
Speed does matter to a point, but as long as you're shooting a bow from the last 50 years or so, it should do the job. IMO, keep your arrows mid-weight, and the rest you already said and is correct, accurate and sharp. I've seen 70 lb compounds inexplickably NOT blow through a deer. Nothing is guarenteed, but all you need is to penetrate to the other side, not neccessarily through it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i believe an arrow traveling at 146 fps is going 100mph. i don't consider going 100mph slow, and i don't want to stand in front of, or get hit by anything going 100mph. there are bows with those wheels and steel that go 300 fps, but thats no fun at all.
i agree with tuning your equiptment, but i enjoy seeing my arrow on the way to the target and then hitting the target.
know your bow, then let er' go!

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Money's better spent on arrows & broadheads than a chrono IMHO.

Say you KNOW to a gnat's arse what your arrow speed is..........that and a buck will get you a can of pop.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts