Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The deers nose is beyond anyone can explain in terms of his sniffer being "X" number of times better than mine. But do we hunters carried away with how great it is and the hunting industry knows it and uses it against us?

Please, don't tell remind me how great the whitetail deers nose is. This ain't my first rodeo. Just curious about items on the market that are geared towards the deers nose.

·
Registered
2007 Bowtech Equalizer, 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32
974 Posts
No different than the fishing industry or golf industry. We all like to experiment with new products to see if it really gives us an edge.

Scott

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I am sure they do and it is apparent that they make false claims for some of their products. But you know us we have to have new toys to play with each year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pretty sure they do. However, I don't expect my scent free stuff to eliminate my scent completely. I can only hope that it makes the deer think that I'm alittle farther away than it thinks! :wink:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
We are addicted to gadgets.

Some gadgets become classics

and

Some gadgets flop

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Of course they do. Just like hiking, camping, boating, and anything else that we do in our lives for fun. Have you bought a beer in a bar lately, yeah the one that costed ya $7.00. How 'bout Disneyland? $50.00+ to get in to the place. And we pay without any problem.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Its up to you to buy those things. Only you can decide which gadgets work for you and if you really need them.

Where I think that the companies really let us have it is in the price of bows and arrows. There is always a price increase and there was never a significant price increase in anything else until recently with the cost of fuel.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Of course the hunting products do exactly what they claim...!

Just like light beer won't make you fat...And a piece of silver plastic makes your truck worth $2000 more...!

·
Registered
131 Posts
"You can't rape the willing."

Taking the shot is a half second out of the entire year. The rest of the time, it's us playing with our gadgets, tricks, calls, sprays... Quiet stands, taller stands, blinds, scent blocker, scent masker, scent lok, smoke, vinegar, carbon, aluminum, mechanical, fixed, short limb, long limb, 3 pin, 5 pin, Mossy Oak, RealTree, rubber boots, face paint, masks, LED, filters, speed mods, smooth mods, AND... internet discussion boards.

We love our gadgets, and no matter how much we ***** about them, we're into them cuz we want to be. We could wake up tomorrow and hunt in breech cloths and a recurve if we wanted to. But we don't want to. :D

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Blazer said:
The deers nose is beyond anyone can explain in terms of his sniffer being "X" number of times better than mine. But do we hunters carried away with how great it is and the hunting industry knows it and uses it against us?

Please, don't tell remind me how great the whitetail deers nose is. This ain't my first rodeo. Just curious about items on the market that are geared towards the deers nose.
if you don't think you need them don't buy them. I haven't bought any scent products for going on 3 years now. Don't need em..

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
no they don't take advantage. were either too stupid to see the obvious or we don't really care. maybe a little of both.

·
Registered
509 Posts
dirk27 said:
Do you really think it costs them $70 to manufacture a sight?:wink:
I know it costs a whole lot less than $70 for "them" to manufacture a sight. The real question is, can you make one for less than $70? I know I can't. I don't have the equipment.

Lets not forget that what we pay in the store is not what the manufacturer is charging... it's what the store is charging. Everyone along the distribution path needs to make a little money.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
There is one thing I can promise you. If it involves fun or leisure it is expensive. I don't think there is such a thing as cheap hobby.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Of course they don't...just do the math..how much doe in uterus scent would have to be collected to fill the shelves of all the stores that sell it.

·
Registered
28,188 Posts
As hunters we have to use commen sense. There is nothing going to cover up our scent 100%. Best we can do is use the basics and hunt with the wind. Use hunter soap and shower before every hunt, use non scent deoderant, ok to use some cover scent and lure in the rut but nothing is a true fix but hunting with the wind. All we can do is lessen our scent, can't elminate it.

In short, poor **** pee on your boots but if a deer is standing down wind you will smell like a human with **** pee on you. :wink:

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you have a hobby, I'm pretty sure someone is making a buck off us. Do they take advantage of us:noidea: ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts