Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who shoot back tension or a thumb release with BT, as you apply back tension do you feel the release rotate in your hand? With my hand relaxed the release rotates around my index finger until it goes off. Should I feel the release move this way or keep a tighter grip while I pull? I can get the release to fire both ways I jst wonder if after a while you would anticipate the end of that handle movement. Any thoughts?
Northwoods

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,413 Posts
I don't feel any hand movement. The hand/fingers do give way when the shot goes off though.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I do not feel any movement nor does anyone see any movement. Though some very good shooters can shoot really well by rotating the release. I personally think that is almost like control shooting but whatever works for you. :)

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
my hand and release doesn't, but my elbow moves a little, or at leaste i think. what i do is i tighten up my back muscles as much as i can, then slowly pull with my elbow, while consentrating on the x. but do what ever is comfortable to you. doesn't matter who does what. the only thing that matters is what you do, and if it works. :)

in case you needed to know, i have a carter just cuz, and i love it!!!! :)

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
That's why some shooters use more than one release. Harder to anticipate if your not sure which one you got.
I know the release rotates but I ignore it and concentrate on the target. I don't think about being able to feel the release rotate.

·
Occam's Razor
8,313 Posts
After experimenting off and on for some time, I let/encourage my release (solution 2.5) to slightly rotate in my hand as I pull and rotate my elbow. I also, ever so slightly, push my bow arm toward the target, this seems to greatly steady my aim, and wait. I can feel the release move just a little.

The problem is the anticipation of this action. However, I get no more, no less, anticipation than shooting with no rotation of the release.

With practice it is becoming so that it is becoming less and less conscious........:cool: ............ck

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is something that has (until very recently) puzzled me. As I come from a recurve background and have only just started shooting a compound with release, it took me a while to get my head around it.

With a recurve, there is no rotation of the hand wrist because all three fingers are on the string and are being pulled by back tension. With a BT/thumb release, the point of contact for holding the weight of the bow is between the index and second finger. Therefore, there MUST be some kind of a rotation in order to set the release off (unless you puch the trigger).

I tried all kinds of pressure settings on the thumb trigger and tried squeezing it to set off the shot while keeping the BT on (a bit like squeezing a rifle trigger). I quickly concluded that this was leading to punched shots. Not good. So then I had to work out a way to 'fake' a recurve style loose.

The way I've got it set now is that I come to anchor with my thumb off the trigger, then aim. When I'm happy with the aim I move my thumb over (just barely touching) the trigger and apply more back tension focused on my ring finger and then concentrate 100% on aiming. This gives just enough rotation (I don't think a casual observer would see it happening) to set off the thumb trigger. I've had good results with it so far :)

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Trigger Releases and Tru Back Tension

I use several back tension releases and one just happens to have a trigger. Now it is a triggered release but it is fired by back tension. I place it in my hand and draw back with my thumb set solidly against the end once I start pushing the bow toward the target and contracting my back muscles it fires just like any other tru back tension release. A total suprise. I do not feel the release rotate I just concetrate on aiming and it fires. I suppose I should say a trigger release is just a trigger release but most definately can be fired by back tension.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Chief P said:
No such thing as a back tension with a trigger. That is a trigger release.

This statement is very wrong. In fact many great coaches will tell you that a thumb trigger when shot correctly is more of a "pure" back tension release than a hinge. The reason being that a thumb trigger can be setup and shot with back tension alone and NO rotation of the hand or fingers.

A true hinge release (the kind most people call a "pure" back tension release) MUST be rotated in the hand to fire. This rotation can be initiated, helped or finished with back tension, but it is not "purely" back tension that allows the release to fire. If you don't allow for some rotation of the release, you can pull on a hinge all day and it will never go off.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
When I shoot a backtension, the release HAS to rotate. I agree with Meleagris1.
With the way I anchor, I can't use a backtension that well because my jaw gets in the way with the rotation.
When I shoot my Just Cuz, the release won't rotate at all.
-Cory

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Oops didn't realize I'm on here twice. This is a real old thread.
Mods, please delete old first post. thanks. ;)

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
this is how back tension is supposed to work though,
as you contract your back muscles in the right area, your elbow moves inward horizontally toward the spine , following the direction of your back muscles, and this inward rotation causes your wrist/arm to follow and rotate the rlease.

I think this would be the same as with a trigger release.
I dont believe you can truly be using back tension only and not have any rotation, no matter what release you are using.

If you are pulling straight back only, without any horizontal elbow movement, then you must be using the muscles in your drawing arm, and not back tension alone. Because when you use back tension alone, your back muscles acyually move horizontally inwards toward the spine, so everything else connected has no choice but to follow.

Larry wise new book explains this quite well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
francis said:
<snip>I dont believe you can truly be using back tension only and not have any rotation, no matter what release you are using.<snip>
You can if you're an ex-recurve archer who is used to a clicker ;) I demonstrated this to my compound shooting friend the other day when he lent me his BT release (without trigger) to try - I drew to full draw using proper back tension and could not get it to go off no matter how hard I worked my infraspinatus. In the end I had to use a rotation of my wrist to set it off.

·
Francis
2,529 Posts
I know if you draw and come to anchor with too much back tension to start with , there wont be enough room to move what is necessary for release rotation

but I dont know what I am talking about, just rambling, I know I cant back it up with my shooting thats for sure

1 - 20 of 25 Posts