Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
48" 70# bear supermag that has a couple spots in the glass and some very minor but obvious splitting along the inside of the riser. Does this need attention or is this not a huge deal? I've actually grown to really like this bow, sometimes. I'd like to hang on to it and don't want the problems to get worse. What are some remedies if necessary? Thanks
l736c

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I see finish crazing and stress fractures in the glass. I also see stress fracturing in the riser. Those short bows are subjected to substantially more bending than longer bows so it is logical that they won't last as long. The fracture line at the point where the shelf transitions to the strike plate concerns me. While it is in line with the stress forces at that point in the bow, it indicates that there is enough strain to cause cracking of the riser. I've seen the same riser cracking in a 1967 1/2 black beauty. It could be that the phenolic just develops little cracks that look bad. My bow shot fine and didn't blow up while I owned it, but it was a 60" bow being drawn to 29 1/2". Your bow is a 48" bow being drawn to ???. I've seen several pictures of Super mags that have blown up on people. I feel that it is just a matter of time before your bow joins the ranks of the other busted Super mags.

·
Registered
20,906 Posts
Fitter -

While I'd like to believe that they are just finish cracks, horizontal cracks on the limbs are always a concern, unless confirmed to be limited to the finish.

Short answer, I wouldn't shoot that bow.
But then again, the odds on me ever shooting any Bear SM is basically zero.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
The chances of me shooting a bow anywhere near that short are slightly less than Vipers. I'd hang that bow up, because of that 'crack' as seen from the rear of the window. It goes straight down and into the grip.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I would retire that #70. Or try to do a total refinish and based on what I find under the exiting I would decide.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you can run your finger nail in those “cracks” you have issues. That’s what I was told by a respected bow refinish man. How deep that one is running in the riser especially. Now that maybe repairable. I have read about Locktite 420 working some miracles. But the work was done by guys who have experience “bringing back the dead”.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts