Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
I use Vanetec fletching and Gold Tip point/insert adhesives extensively. Because I am a coach and build student arrows frequently that I don't want to build twice, I replace my adhesives every 6 months.

· Registered
2,193 Posts
for fletching vanes or feathers i use Bohning Platinum. i just don't don't want to deal with CA type glues, and the Bohning is designed specifically for this task.

having said that, ALL glues will become adhesion strength at some point. to lengthen their lifetime i put each tube of glue (whatever type of glue it is except two part epoxy) in two zip-lock baggies and then in a tupperware container with desiccant packets in it. having said that i still toss a tube of glue (whatever type of glue it is except two part epoxy) after about 6 moths or so. i just don't think the adhesion strength is as good.

· Registered
698 Posts
Yep I quit using expensive fletching glue because I’d use 1/3 of the tube before it would go bad. Now when I need to do a few arrows, I just use a new small bottle of cheap brush-on liquid superglue. Works like a charm without any mess and it’s cheap. When I’m done, I toss the bottle or use it for stuff around the house.

· Registered
6,292 Posts
As you read the posts each has their Idea how long it could last but then once they have vanes coming off that all changes. because once Air hits any glue it does slow stop working as it Did! Why is it some sell Small and Others Larger maybe because they Think we fletch 100's of arrows in a short amount of time but most rarely do a couple dozen unless they doing some for other Archers. And we all Use a Different brand or type and we also use different arrows so what might work on Carbon A might not be as good on Carbon B and so on as each has a different process some are a weave others ? So Once you find the one that works for You until it Fails! Maybe why you see so many posting that this Adhesive or that and many chime in it is "How You Prep" Again Each Carbon is made differently so what might work with 1 might not work with another. Then add in if you use Wraps that is a whole different issue. Many things Change. I will stick with Small Container and once I have done enough that year it is Tossed...I shoot Aluminum so the Arrows are all the Same so I do not worry if I get good Adhesion with "Flex Bond" and Qui Vanes also all vanes are Not the Same. So that is another topic as hw long they are sitting on your Shelf?
But Yes All Adhesives have a Shelf Life. As you see others use many different brands and types!
LFM

· Registered
2,297 Posts
It's a marketing tactic, damn big bottles
I do probably 80 to 100 arrows a year
The glue will do many times that.

But I have never had it not set up, it typically hardens in the tube, and you have to toss it.

Hope you get your fletching's done

21 - 28 of 28 Posts