Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kill him? Many time's ive seen it happen,but being a dog owner,i just cant bring myself to do it.Ill agree that owner's should teather their animal's,ESPECIALLY when Hunting season come's in,but they are only predators like us,and only doing what they love to do,and are programed for since conception.It's a very tough call for me,and i tend to give the dog,the hot scent he CRAVES.Your thought's? Only in a Deep Snow situation,would i do it.If the Wood's were Clean,Tough Call.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Be careful with that idea. There are laws in place that could come back and bite you.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
While this type of thing bugs the heck out of me (happened to me 2 days ago), I don't think I could bring myself to shoot a dog. Like you said, he is just doing what comes naturally. The owner on the other hand should be beaten with a baseball bat (not really, but you get my drift). They are the thinking one of the pair. The owner should have the common sense to know that they may be putting their best friend in harms way by letting him run free in the deer woods during hunting season.

Not all hunters think like you and I, and would just as soon put a thunderhead through Fido as look at him.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had that problem with some dogs that lived down the road . They were coming on to or place and runing hogs and deer . First I found out who they belonged to and whent and talked to the rancher he didnt seem to concerened so I talked to the game warden and he told me to kill them.

Now most of these dogs were just muts but one was a beautiful blue tick about one year old that was friendly as could be . One day after the morning hunt I was at my truck and heard them coming I called the one dog over to me loaded him up and took him to a man in town that had dogs that he used to find deer that hunters shot but could not find. That dog turned out to be the best trailing dog with in a hundred miles. Now the rest of the pack after a year all ended up with a three point star in them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
BTW running deer with dogs is illegal in texas but you can use a dog or group of dogs to aid in the retrevial of a wounded deer as long as you notify the area game warden. It is a verry good way to make money for the ones that have good dogs.

Just thought I clear that up before the argument stated.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I usually try to find the owner if possible. If I can do so, I then ask him to tend to his dogs, and make it clear the consequences of failing to do so. After that should I see them on my property again, they become practice targets.... I really hate to kill a good dog, but one who is allowed to chase any animal without supervision is not a good dog. I've even had to put one of my own down in the past for killing chickens. Once they start it is nearly impossible to stop the killing.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Depends

If they are maingy (sp?) they get the dirt nap. If they look like pets 1st pass they live but if it constant, the owner won't do anything about it, and its hurting the deerhunting they get the dirt nap. If they take an interest in me in any way they get the dirt nap, been bit before and won't be bit again. Sorry I'm not much of a dog lover because of it.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
Well, I have and will kill dogs that I do not know and are chasing Deer or my Horses. I will pay the fine, The people that live around me know to keep there mutts tied up, I keep mine tied.

Now I can understand if Poochie got off the run and he lost. I will be happy to return him home but, if I see a strange dog with no collar, he better stay out of bow range.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Any dog that repeatly chases deer deserves a bullet behind the ear. My last Springer did it while bird hunting. After she got back she got the shotgun butt between the eyes. After that little incident they could walk right up to her and she would turn her head to them. The owner is the responsible party and should be held accountable for the dogs actions. 1st time is a warning, 2nd time come haul it's dead carcass off the property. Most of the time I shoot the dog and then go check to see who it belongs to.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The place where I used in Illinois had a dog pack problem. It was so bad that we would not even leave gutpiles in the woods because one of the guys I hunted with ran into the pack when they were on a fresh gut pile (mine:) ). The dogs (about 6 of them) ended up treeing him. It was kind of funny, but I wasn't the one in the tree!
Anyway, long story short. We killed them on sight. I actually passed up a shot on a really nice buck one morning that the dogs were running (he stopped right under my stand to take a breather... looked right at me). I knew the dogs would be on his scent trail. Sure enough, a few minutes later along they came! The rest is a three corner tattoo. Oh... btw a whistle will stop a running dog just like it does a deer. Just make sure that you are at full draw because they dont stay stopped for long!

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I seem to remember that in '50's PA, the game regs required you to shoot a dog running deer. Or maybe that was the prevailing ethics at the time. Don,t ever remember seeing dogs after deer so it must have been effective. I don't want to be faced with that decision personally. It would depend on the circumstances. No matter what you feel for dogs, they will outlast and run the deer down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
this happened one time when i was a kid deer hunting with my dad. we were in a box blind hunting with a rifle and at about 100 yrds away, 2 "shooter" bucks just ran across the road at full speed with tails up. 30 seconds later, 2 dogs crossed the road following the deer. my dad turned 3 shades of red!! he was pissed! he anticipated were the dogs would come out into an opening in the brush. he told me "when they reach the clearing, i going to let them have it!" with his 7mag no less.
being the kid that i was, (9yrs old) i freaked out and said for him not to do it or i would tell mom. now that i'm older, i see why he wanted to "blast" them, as i would now do the same. they ruined our morning hunt, plain and simple. Note: this was a lease on private property and no dogs were allowed period.

on a similar note, last year my friend and i were in a tree stand on a small property just right outside the city limits.
the hunt was starting to go well, we could hear a bunch of deer coming in as they walked on the leaves. suddenly before we could see them, they stopped and snorted and weezed and grunted and made any other noise that they do when their scared sh**less! then they ran off!! we looked at each other in disbelief and could not understand it--no way they smelled us! 1 minute later an orange feral CAT strolls along and sits and looks at us at about 15 yards from the stand. I turned 3 shades of red and instantly drew my 70 lb bow on him. then, i noticed a collar with a tag around his neck---and then i NAILED him----with my grunt call. come on, i could not shoot some kids pet, but i was pissed and our hunt was ruined. had there been no collar, he would have been muzzified!! oh well, i never forget it. part of the fun about bowhunting!:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
people get real emotional when their pet is missing. with that in mind i wouldn't give anyone warning that there may be a hunting accident invovling fido. you just gave him reason to vote against hunting/hunters. my experience has been that people think fido has more right to run free than you do to hunt your own property. take care of the problem and don't tell anyone- not even your wife. but please,don't ever leave a chance of a wounded dog going home, or you just hurt my chances of hunting in the future. just my thoughts on the matter

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Elkarcher,I believe your memory serves you correctly.I think that you had to remove the collar,and turn it in the the Game Commission at that time,and they would contact the owners.In this day and age,that goes over like a Lead Ballon.Case in point.A area that borders our hunting property,has the most unbelievable deer concentrations in the area,due to the Nastyness of the fauna.Someone took exception to the owner's dog roaming the property,and waxed him.Now this property was always open to hunting,for our club members,but after this happened,all atempts to get hunting rights restored,have been in vain.Shame,because once they realize that they are being pursued,they be line it for the off limit property,and you dont see hide nor tail of the buck's,to the Rut kicks in.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Would I?? In a heartbeat... The only exception is IF it belonged to the property owner... I hunt all private property(with permission, of course) - I know the dogs that belong to the people who's properties I hunt, and it hasn't been a problem, yet... Any dog who's chasing deer is most likely going to continue to do it until stopped... What alot of people don't realize is, that deer waste precious body reserves when having to run from predators(even domestic dogs are predators to the deer in this case scenario)... In the south, it *might* not be a survival hindrance to the deer - here in the north, where winters are often harsh, it can very well be the difference between life and death for the deer... I love dogs as much as anyone, but saying "they're just doing what comes natural" doesn't cut it for me... Biting and attacking comes natural for some of them, too - should we "tolerate" that, also??? I agree that the owners are REALLY the problem in these cases, but I'm sure that isn't of concern to the deer... I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but that's the way I see it... Some people think that allowing their dog to do whatever it wants is more important than the concerns of others - those idiots don't DESERVE to have a dog, and if they lose them to a hunter because he saw them chasing deer, oh well... I once had this idiot tell me that the reason why his dog chased me on my motorcycle was because the dog didn't "like" loud motorcycles... Well, apparantly the dog didn't like bicyclists, either - because he BIT a couple of them before being taken away from that sorry excuse of a pet owner...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
112 Posts
Go ahead and punish the dog for it's owner's lack of responsibility.
Go ahead and punish the gun for its handler's lack of respect.

In WI, only the DNR officers can legally shoot a dog chasing deer.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
freakshow,
I understand but theres a difference between an inanimate object and a "sentiant being" (learned that one from PETA:)) Even the best owner can lose control of their dog, the deer still is the one to suffer or die. None of my guns have ever acted irresponsibly on their own.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts