Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here goes. I have decided I wanted a small dog to tag along with me for several reasons. Companionship, snakes and deer recovery. I rescued a half rat terrier half fiest. Is this something anyone else does. I wanted a dog small enough to share a one man tent but gritty enough to bay a snake. I know fiest are hunting dogs and could blood trail a deer. Does anyone else do this and have any tips to share

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bring my dog scouting cause she loves the woods but when the sun goes down she just wants to be in the car.
I can't tell if shes helping or hurting. I'd like to think a mt. Lion, which there are a ton of, may be less likely to attack since theres two of us. Shes a 50# pit mutt with the bark of 200# mastiff. Push comes to shove shed hide behind me if there was anything bigger than a squirrel.
Hope that helps haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve done quite a bit of research and the rat terrier has little to no back up in it and I had a bench legged fiest that would tree a bear years ago. I hope it works. I’m ordering the blood tracking and shed training programs for puppies.

·
Registered
924 Posts
These 2 yoyo's tag along with me when I go out and hunt off the ground. Either in a blind or I'll make a natural blind to hide all of us. The biggest issue is restlessness and barking when/ if they see the deer. Most times they will smell the deer coming in before I can see it (when the wind is right) so I can settle them down or distract them.
Bored.png

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just about any dog will track a wounded deer. Obviously hounds are best and pug nose dogs are worst, but really anyone will track as long as they like the outdoors and you train them some but as far as baying a snake- you are asking for trouble there. Dogs that aren't afraid of snakes usually just get bit by them. I did see one dog that would set back 3 or 4 feet and just bark at a snake but usually they just get bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts