Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm installing new strings and cables today, and I'm working on getting my peep set where I want it. To do so, I'm making little adjustments, and drawing the bow to check and see if everything is lining up the way I want it to. I've done it several times, and then it happens - I think I've got it just about right, and my fingers slip on the release and hit the trigger. Ka-POW.

Now nothing went flying except one limb of a string leech. Everything else stayed where it was supposed to. I've gone over every inch of the limbs and riser that I can, and don't see any cracks or chips or anything that seems out of place. BUT... I'm still nervous that I maybe did permanent damage to the bow.

How do I know for sure? Anything I can do on my own to determine whether or not I busted something, or cracked it to where it's going to blow-up on me sometime in the future? I know the obvious answer is to take it to a pro-shop.... But what are they going to do that I can't?

I know - a lot of questions packed in here, but I'm mildly panicked that I just damaged my bow....

Help me out here, folks. What can I do from here?:eek::( :mad:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Some other things to check would be the axles. Take the bow apart and check to see if you bent either axle. Also check the half-outs under the limb in the pocket. Depending on brand it may not have any. But if it does have some form of halfout just make sure they did not crack.

Chances are you didn't hurt it. Limbs, risers and cams are tough, but I have seen some axles bend because of a dryfire. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you have a bow press strip the bow down and check the axles, axle bushes, limb pockets and limb rockers.

Plus slowly draw the bow with arrow nocked to see if you can hear any creaking.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the new(er) Hoyts can be dryfired. There's no way that's true. Anyone else read this or hear this info?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bet your heart was racing!!! Sorry to hear that man. Hey!!! BOWS HAVE FEELINGS TOO:p Nah man im just nagging ya. I hope nothing is wrong with your bow. It might be smart to invest in a safedraw. ($75 used on here) . Well goodluck and hope nothing is messed up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gipper/Ausie-guy - I will do just that! I hadn't thought to check the axles! (Here's me, crossing my fingers....)

DarthTedd - Well, it *IS* a new Hoyt HavocTec.... Hopefully it's tough enough....

JayBird - You're dang right my heart was racing! I think I scared the heck out of my kid too! The look of surprise on his face had to have been about the same as mine! And what the heck is a Safedraw? (And yeah, bows have feelings too! LOL!)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any one else have any suggestions or advice for me on this?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
MN Archer said:
Any one else have any suggestions or advice for me on this?

Wear safety glasses for the first 100 shots after you get it back up and running :D ;) ...LOL... Just kiddin ya...

I think if you heed the advice above you should be fine.

Keep in mind it's ALWAY'S a good idea to keep an eye on things in the future as well... You may have even the smallest fracture or bend and it may get worse as time goes on. Just a thought.

Hope all goes well...

Regards, Pat

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Your bow is fine don't worry about it. I talked to a Hoyt Rep one day and they dry fire bows 1000's of times to check the stuff. That is 1 bow. I also know a guy that dry fired a Hoyt a couple of years back about 20 times in a row. The cable slide broke. Your bow is fine. Shoot and be happy.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Here is a good rule when it comes to drawing your bow.

Never...NEVER....NEVER draw your bow back without having an arrow nocked.

I have read this type of thing posted too many times to count. I was just drawing my bow back to check this or that and my finger(s) slipped.

a pencil sized hole in the sheetrock is a heck of a lot cheaper to fix than bent axles, cracked limbs, etc....

In my basement, near my workbench I have an old bag target that I use to draw and fire into when I am checking my bow, peep, etc.... If I draw and let down, no big deal, but the one time my finger does slip, I have an arrow there to prevent a dry fire.

Not beating on you, just a good rule to follow.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would go over it with a fine tooth comb. But I'm sure you will find everything to be ok. I had a ZMax that was dry fired twice by me at 70#'s and I continued to shoot with it for 3 years after. I gave it to my nephew and he dry fired it and he's still shooting it today with no problems. Todays equipment is tougher than you think. I'm sure the Hoyt is fine.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
been there, done that. i have dry fired my bow, i was terribly worried. nothing happens if it is done once or twice, unless you have one piece of crap bow!!!!
go out and shoot it. if it works and hits where you want it to, don't worry about it. it is fine. if it isn't shooting right, then go to a pro shop. i don't know what to look for except something getting bent or broken like a limb, axel, riser, and anything that was on the bow, because of the vibrations. good luck!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dry Fire

Oh man besides the racing heart, you had to feel sick down deep. Sounds like you got some great help posted here though.
I would like to add to BowTech-Shooter's advice....Do one better than saftey glasses. After re-assemble. For the next 100 shot, Get ya one of those full face Paintballer's masks! Or a full face Motocross helmet!
Just playin with ya. Seriously, I DO hope everything held together OK.

·
Occam's Razor
8,325 Posts
Brown Hornet is right. Hoyt dry fires those things many many times.............check it, and shot it.........I've done it with my Hoyt.........all was fine......just felt stupid afterward.........:D ...........ck

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the advice folks.... I'm feeling more relieved with each piece of advice that gets posted.

98Redline - Yup. That's going to be Standard Operating Procedure from now on! Oh, and I've already got the pencil-sized hole in the sheetrock from a seperate incident....:rolleyes: So what's one more, right?

2XLARCHER - yeah, the sick feeling is starting to go away now. And maybe I'll dig that old full-face motorcycle helmet out of mothballs for the next shooting session or two! :) Just to be safe! LOL!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I had a similar experience a few years back, I cam home from work to find a long waited for new bow had arrived that day. Being the impetuous type I bolted on a rest tied in a peep and screwed the sight on. By the time I was ready to shoot it was 10.oclock at night but what the heck. I through the back door open flicked the outside light on and aimed for the middle of a very large butt at 10 yds. !!BANG!! dogs started barking, babies crying men shouting. woke up the whole damn neighbourhood. I had forgotten to put an arrow in the sucker and executed the best dryfire you ever heard. I flicked the light off put the bow away and went to bed.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts