Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Want to find out what you guys use for aiming in the scope. I know the dot have lots of phychological effect on aiming more steadily. Let me get the ball rolling. I am using a 6X GKF scope with a 3mm black dot in the center.

·
Banned
55 Posts
8X with a tiny engraved dot. Old Check It +100 scope. Still does the trick after 10 years. No clarifier peep and it is out of focus moderately. I can make out the lines but not crisply.

I look through the scope and focus on the centre of the target and float the dot in the background. I used to be of the opinion that to hold it still you have to look at it (ie the dot) but am in two minds as now I am of the opinion that to hit it you have to look at it (ie the target)

·
Registered
516 Posts
6x beiter scope with a 4,1mm red beiter dot

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
3x older tox scope with a fiber up pin Red.

3x Bullseye scope with red dot of :embarasse fingernail polish

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I use an Extreme 6X scope with a blue lighted LP pro scope, that has .019 fiber pin. I really love it, because I can adjust it for brightness up or down depending on the existing light conditions for each target.

·
Spot Shooter
2,128 Posts
For me a Stan 6x scope and a 2x peep. No dot. :eek:

I use this for indoor spots. I just look at the "X" and center the white bullseye in the scope. I don't see much of the blue. Not big into 3D so I just shoot a fiber pin for that.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I actually have 2 set ups:

1 Brite Site vegas scope 4X, 2mm orange dot.
1 Bullseye Millenium Target, 6x tru-spot lens with 1/4" grind (no dot, magnified center, no magnification outside the 1/4" inside part).

I actually prefer the truspot lens, but do not like to large scope housing of the millenium, so I have been shooting with the vegas scope.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
For 3D, I am using a 5X or 3X Bulleye Millennium Grande (1 3/4" dia.) with a 3/32" orange gunstar decal.

For all other target shooting, I use a Bulleye tru-spot Pro with 6X- 1/4" grind.

I am far sighted and have problems see pins without corrective vision. If I look through a scope without corrective vision, I am able to see fairly good, the pin is still a little blurry. If I use corrective vision, I have to use a clarifier. For hunting with a normal multi-pin sight I use contacts.

Most scopes stack up pretty much the same for me.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Sure loc black eagle .55 diopter with a razor up pin (yellow fiber optic).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use a super scope w/4x lens and a circle recticle. I group a little better looking through the circle because I would tend to move the pin to see the aiming point on the target.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Varies...ALL with small peep:

1) 1.5mm Flou Fiber (Beiter) up or down or straight at me (depending on how I set up my scope)

2) Crosshairs

3) Crosshairs with flou pin (1.5mm byt going to experiment with a 2.5 to replicate a larger 'dot')

4) 4-point reference system - peep, 2 hunting pins about 7-8 inches apart in an elongated weather-proof tube and home-made cross-hairs on the lense. This is my OLDER set up - when I was shooting a very short 5" brace height speed bow (G-Force), I used a 4 point reference sighting system to ensure alignment and the most torque-free set-up.

Hey HoytUSA84, if you really want to learn about improving your optical, physical and mental aiming game, you should spend a few weeks hanging around with precision off-hand ISSF style RIFLE shooters! The 10-Metre Air Rifle shooters aim for a 10-ring that's 0.5mm in diametre, and hold their 10-12kg rifles standing up for at least 30 seconds at a time. :cool: Sorry, I never got into rifle hard-core ... :embarasse

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
I use a 6x scope with the biggest black dot that specialty archery makes... (For field, FITA, indoor)

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
Bulls Eye Millenium scope with 5X lense & Bulls Eye .29 dot up pin.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I like my Bullseye Millenium Target with a Nuvis 6x and a circle reticle.
The large size of the scope allows me to use a peep with a large aperture that help when shooting indoor and lighting is not optimum.
Target is a little blurry, not a problem cuz I know that the the X is in the middle of the gold :D :D
6" extension and I will vary the size of the circle depending on the type of round I'm shooting.
I think the circle shows less perceived movement than a dot...anyway, works for me. We need to try as many combinations and find what work better for us.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I bounce around a lot for my indoor and field set-up, but most of the time it is either a circle or a black dot (fairly large). The lens I use is ~8X for this and I either cover the entire 10 ring of a Vegas or I use the circle and just focus on the x.

For 3-D I use a drilled ~4X lens with a black dot centered over the hole, the fiber pushed through the center of the dot. This gives me the light in the dark woods, the black background to stop the halo in the bright sun, and it is what I am use to.

For hunting, single up pin, fiber optic HHA. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I use an ATC 35mm 6x scope with a reticle with center circle and black dot in the middle. too much stuff?? not really, my shooting has improved markedly since i started using this scope and lens.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
For target, I use an 8x Super Scope, with an opaque dot that is the same size as the 5 ring NFAA (9 ring vegas). It's the only way to go. My daughter shoots a 4x Super Scope with a dot that is slightly smaller than the 5 ring, and solid.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts