Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everybody has been so nice to me and helped me out so much that I felt I would agree to help some of you out with PC Tech Support.

THIS IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE USING WINDOWS XP

If you have Windows NT Or 2000 you should know how to fix it if not then you should not be running these os's ;)

Right now there is a bad bug on the net called W32.worm. Think if it being LIKE a virus. Basically what it does is scan your computer to see the back door is unlocked, if it is it comes in and then use the net to bring in a buddy. The buddy is a .exe file that does damage to your computer and also scans for other pc’s.

HERE is some help:

Go to http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
This is from the MICROSOFT WEB SITE
Click SCAN FOR UPDATES
When the security warning comes up tell it YES
Now you wait,..if you are on dial up this may take awhile.
ONCE DONE you should see on the left hand side of the screen Critical Updates and a number in some ( ). Don’t worry about the drivers and recommended you can come back for those later.

Click on left of screen where it says REVIEW and Down load.

Your pc MAY want to reboot. If so let it. THEN GO BACK to that web site and scan again. Down load any and all Critical updates again. And allow it to reboot again.

(see the pattern?)

Keep doing this until there is a (0) after critical updates. Once done you have ALL THE NEEDED patches that Microsoft has out to include the patch to keep you from getting the worm.

You want to also UPDATE your Anti virus software. Simply buying NORTON ANTIVIRUS from Wal-Mart and installing it isn’t enough. You need current Virus Defs so the program knows how to look for the new stuff.. LIKE THIS WORM.

I know I am not being to Technical and I know there are other PC GEEKS here. I’m trying to keep this as easy as possible for those who don’t understand or are new with their computers.

IF YOU NEED help, or run into any issues… send me a PM I will walk you through it.

I don't know every thing there is to know, but I like to think I know a little as I do program computers in VB, C++, Visual C++, HTML, XML, and PERL/CGI

Have any ?'s post it here and I will see what I can do for you.

Tim

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
DO THE UPDATE FROM Microsoft NOW!

I wasted most of the day recovering from this.

UPDATE YOUR VIRUS SOFTWARE NOW!

My anti-virus software was current to May 2003, not good enough... this is a new one folks, you need the LATEST antivirus software version.

To see if your infect, hit <control> <alternate> <delete> at the same time on your XP or Windows 2000 computer. This brings up the "Task Manager". Click the "Processes" tab. Scan the running processes for the "msblast.exe". If you have it you're going to be in for one heck of a ride! Kill it in the Task Manager. Execute run 'regedit', do a search for 'msblast'. Delete all occurences of this within your computer registry. There's a lot more to do, but your anti-virus software vendor should make you jump through there hoops. I even put a firewall on my system after this.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a patch out there called wormblaster.

IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT REGEDIT IS DO NOT TRY IT!!!

Editing your Registry can casue damge where you computer will not even boot if you don't know what you are doing.

IT is a great tool, but should be for ADVANCED USERS ONLY or with the help of a step by step guide.

Try some of the patches that were released to day it may be easeir.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Or, you could use Mac OS X or Linux and not worry about viruses. (Virii?) :D

MS Windows has always been, and is, a petri dish for computer viruses. It also assumes the user is a complete idiot and tries to do eveything for you. Drives me crazy.

I was a little bummed when my wife wanted a Dell with Windows XP to replace her old iBook. :(

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
baldmountain,

Mac OS X or Linux do get viruses, worms and everything else, but they ar not writen to affect these OS. But they can send them out to PC's. Mac OS X or Linux are not used as much as PC's are, that is why people do not write a virus to affect them. Just like telling your friends, I won $1 on the lottery. No one really cares, but if you infect 5,000,000 PC'c it is like winning $100,000 in the lottery. The hacker get s a kick out of it and shows his friends that he is good.

Just my .02 worth ;)

LeEarl

·
Registered
256 Posts
worm

When I try and download the Windows 2000 "patch", it says I need "Service Pack 2 at a minimum" to download the "hotfix". Any suggestions?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go through the link I gave you....CLICK On Critical UPDATES,

then look at all the updates and look for servise pack 2 MAKE IT THE ONLY ONE with the check mark.. down load this then repeat all the steps over and over until you have them all.

Let me know ifyou need more help.

Tim

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Ummm... No Linux, UNIX and Mac OS X don't get viruses. There was a UNIX worm that brought the internet to it's knees a few years ago but that hole was fixed long ago. For the most part UNIX, Linux and Mac OS X, (which is based on BSD UNIX) are pretty much immune from viruses.

That' doesn't mean they are secure. Almost every day people find security vulnerabilities in all of these OSes. Microsoft Windows just seems to be particularly insecure. Because visual basic is built into most of Microsoft's applications it makes Windows particularly vulnerable to worms, and tojan horses. Window's architecture makes it easy to write viruses.

In any case, follow Tim's advice and update your OS. Repeat the update process until all updates are installed. It may take several update/reboot cycles to get all the updates.

LeEarl/MN said:
baldmountain,

Mac OS X or Linux do get viruses, worms and everything else, but they ar not writen to affect these OS. But they can send them out to PC's. Mac OS X or Linux are not used as much as PC's are, that is why people do not write a virus to affect them. Just like telling your friends, I won $1 on the lottery. No one really cares, but if you infect 5,000,000 PC'c it is like winning $100,000 in the lottery. The hacker get s a kick out of it and shows his friends that he is good.

Just my .02 worth ;)

LeEarl

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
baldmountain
I am a tech at the local High School and we had a Mac that stored an e-mail virus on the hard drive. Everytime the user sent out an e-mail to a PC, the PC was infected. It took a few days to track it down and clean it out. The Mac was not affected by the virus.

LeEarl

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
What version of the OS was the Mac using? And what email client? If it was anything before Mac OS X then I'd believe it. Mac OS 9 and earlier was just as vulnerable to viruses as Windows. (Actually, it was probably worse.) I would guess that the Mac also used the Outlook email client. (Another Microsoft product with IIRC visual basic built in. Which makes it a vector for macro viruses along with the Windows version.)

(I used to program Macs for a living. :D )

LeEarl/MN said:
baldmountain
I am a tech at the local High School and we had a Mac that stored an e-mail virus on the hard drive. Everytime the user sent out an e-mail to a PC, the PC was infected. It took a few days to track it down and clean it out. The Mac was not affected by the virus.

LeEarl

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Yep, your right, OS 9 with outlook. I over looked that part. Just one of the many things I overlooked today. Rebuilding a lab and tryed to do Microsoft Updates. I think everyone in the world was downloading the patch from that site. Man was it slow. I even fell a sleep of about 10 mins. in there :D. Needless to see it was a slow day.

LeEarl

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Then stop sleeping and post those week 5 results! I had my best week ever and want to know how I did. :D

In case I haven't told you, we all really appreciate the work you've been doing on the AT league. Thanks!

LeEarl/MN said:
Needless to see it was a slow day.

LeEarl

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
Yep LeEarl it's not that people don't want to write viruses for Macs, it's just that it's bloody hard to. Unix by it's nature is very very secure because it's built around a multiple user philosophy. Apple are also very mindful of security and does a lot of work protecting their OS.
Virus writers do not look at market share as a determining fator, they look at what's easier. These guys are not genius hackers, they are often students, and often ordinary at programming. Want to be famous? Write a Linus or Mac OS X virus and watch the respect fly in.
Bringing down Windows boxes is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Great to see another Mac dude on here baldmountain! My forum below runs off a modified iMac 1RU server! :D

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Marcus said:
Great to see another Mac dude on here baldmountain! My forum below runs off a modified iMac 1RU server! :D
Us Mac guys need to stick together. :)

When's the store going to be open again?

Had a look through the forum. It's pretty good. I registered. Are you Aussie's nice to us Americans? I'm not going to get hassled if I post am I? :)

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
Are you Aussie's nice to us Americans? I'm not going to get hassled if I post am I?
Sure we are, as long as you don't say anything stupid, but seeing as you are a Mac user that chance is somewhat slim. ;)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Baldmountain - please don't tell people that Linux and Mac are imune to viruses or that they don't have them written against them. It isn't true and it doesn't help anyone. PATCH YOUR SYSTEM - no matter what OS you like best.

For your information, there are a lot of viruses and worms and security vulnerabilites in *NIX, (just like in Windows) but the impact is so low due to low number of users running it that it doesn't get the same press. Remember Slapper? Security is an industry problem (go count security bulletins at CERT or MITRE some time).

Any OS will have flaws because it will have been written by humans.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I just spent the last two and a half days going around and fixing things with this worm.

My advice is to go to http://www.sarc.com and check out what it says there. There is the original worm and two new variations. Read all three sections, the symptoms are slightly different although all three worms use the same mechanism.

One of the worst things about the worm is that it often gets you before you can download the patch that you need. The instructions on www.sarc.com go through what you need to kill the process off that is causing the problem and then how to stop the worm from re-infesting your system by shutting down access to your system from outside.

This should allow you to download the patches that you need.

Once you get things fixed, make sure that you run windows update often, and get a virus protection software and keep it updated. If you had been doing updates, then this worm would not be affecting.

I would also install some sort of firewall software too. There are a several free firewalls which do a good job. I use Zone Alarm on my windows system, it is free, and works well.

On a side note, the folks that right virus' and worms like to make a big splash. Getting a few Macs or a *nix system isn't going to be nearly as much fun. Now if you can get almost all of the *nix systems then that would be great.

The Robert Morris Internet worm was one of those worms that had an effect on many *nix systems. Like this current worm, it exploited a hole in the system that had a patch available. If the sysadmins for the *nix systems had installed the patch, they would not have been affected.

There will always be threats to get into systems. When these are discovered there will be measures taken to prevent the threats. Then others will come up with new threats. It will continue this way.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
great info Marty - right on in my opinion.

I remember all the phones in downtown Mpls being out because of the Morris worm - back then all the phone switches used UNIX as the base OS. Doesn't make UNIX bad or good.

If you are running Windows XP you do have the chance to turn on the "Internet Connection Firewall" or ICF on your network interface. Doing that would have prevented the worm from working on an ICF protected system. If you use Windows 2000, Marty is right - check out getting a 3rd party firewall to run on it.

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall search on ICF in the Windows XP help and support tool.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts