Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... this happened today.

Doing some tuning, checked my poundage on my Halon 6 on the Allen bow scale.

And boom!

Dry fire. Happened so fast I didn’t know what was going on. Look down and there is the bow scale on the ground. The scale failed. The metal ring on it broke and opened up.

What the hell do I do now....

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is why I would always recommend putting an arrow on the bow when checking draw weight. Or any time the bow is in the draw board.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
That really sucks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
From the pics looks like u made it out ok take a cotton ball run it all over the limbs if it splinterd anywhere that should find it check your cams and axles.. my son dryfired his one cam was bent replaced both just to be on the safe side. That sucks hate to see that

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
Put it in the press. Take it apart and check it?

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I had a scale from cabelas I think it was October country and it had got recalled. now I have a scale just like yours(crap!!!) everytime I ck poundage on the draw board I have a beener on the string and an arrow too, still don't trust that scale. bummer dude!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You have to secure another line so this doesnt happen i had this happen but had paracord around the string and kept it from dry firing

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Check your poundage on a draw board, and always use a safety line or link. I bought one of these after I saw another thread of a broken scale:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scale-Amw-tl440-Industrial/dp/B00186R2UG

All kinds of hell gotta break loose for a failure on that scale.

I also use two oval screw links for safety (one on the d-loop and one around the string in case the loop fails.)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
Those allen scales are junk, this has happened a fee times before. If anyone has one or something similar toss it. Buy a heavy duty scale that isnt plastic and doesnt have little key ring hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,666 Posts
That sucks. I don't trust little bow weight scales. Get a heavy one, that's rated for a couple hundred pounds and you'll be fine. If they are rated to just over 100lbs, that's not heavy enough to be trusted IMO.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,781 Posts
Local shop has bought 2 draw weigh scales out of Lancaster and both turned to junk...YES, use a arrow and just point in safe direction.....

I use regular weight scale, built tough.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I only check bow draw weight on a draw board and also have a safety rope or harness looped around the scale just in case the scale goes ka-boom.

Draw board also comes in super handy when setting rest and cam timing.

Good luck getting that Mathew back into shape.

·
Registered
445 Posts
So what's a good quality scale? Is there a specific brand? I would prefer an analog style.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts